Sat dish in Spain ok (1 Viewer)

May 1, 2009
SOUTH WOODHAM FERRERS
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
We did not expect to get tv here in Alicante on our 85cm Oyster but watching BBC at moment.Expected to lose the footprint somewhere in South France .On a seperate note,I am using our 10gb data phone package which is now allowed in Europe as if we were still in the UK and its great not searching out wifi spots along with viewing tv on the Filmon app.
It seems the future in tv abroad is internet and not the expensive sat dish.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
Your in a "hotspot" where you are in Alicante. As soon as you move south you will lose the bbcs and itvs and head north past Calpe and they'll disappear again. You won't watch much tv with 10 gb so be careful. Here in Portugal I am getting 60gb / month for a Euro a day which is pretty good for a Mobile internet solution.

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Here in Portugal I am getting 60gb / month for a Euro a day which is pretty good for a Mobile internet solution.
That's excellent value. If only others would follow suit.
I found data cheaper in Portugal than Spain.
Out if interest, how far north in Spain will you get uk channels? We are going to be near platja de Aro later today. @seanoo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
We have the Oyster 85cm dish and use it with a SKY box when travelling. Can receive most if not all channels as far south as Avignon, but then the channels begin to disappear slowly starting with ITV. BBC is hit and miss but even in Portugal we still managed to get all SKY channels
Ian

Deleted User
Here in Portugal I am getting 60gb / month for a Euro a day which is pretty good for a Mobile internet solution.

NOS have an unlimited data PAYG sim at €15 for 15 days, I bought mine from a Worten shop in November but I think the deal is still available.

I combine this with Tunnelbear VPN to watch and record UK TV.

Nov 14, 2009
normandy
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
16 years
That's excellent value. If only others would follow suit.
I found data cheaper in Portugal than Spain.
Out if interest, how far north in Spain will you get uk channels? We are going to be near platja de Aro later today. @seanoo
At platja d'aro you may not get your channels as it's a bit of a black hole around Barcelona but you may be lucky being a bit further north

Oct 26, 2014
Dumfries and Galloway
Funster No
MH
Pilote P696GJ
Exp
We're at Marjal , Crevellente not with the Motorhome this time but in our Swift Caravan and have a 65cm maxview automatic dish , still getting most SKY channels , sports , movies , N. Geographic , News but no BBC or ITV

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
We use an ICESCRIPT and get all the usual channels anywhere.

Middy42

Free Member
Jan 13, 2013
Fleetwood
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since the 70s
We have an Icescript box which reads the signals from INTELSAT 907 and gets uk programs. Barrie

Ksagic

Free Member
Feb 21, 2015
Warrington
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890i
Exp
We have an Icescript box which reads the signals from INTELSAT 907 and gets uk programs. Barrie
Middy, does that mean you get the standard UK Freeview tv and radio programs?
Ian

SUGGY

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 23, 2011
scunthorpe
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
We have only just got a sat dish and must say why is it that we can pick up every country including China and the usa.
but only bbc world news that only talks about the USA .Trump and Syria. Astea 19

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
I know that Wikipedia isn't always 100% accurate however if you look at the page for Intelsat Satellites you can see that certain satellites are listed ready to replace the aging ones although 907 doesn't currently have one. Add that to the fact that Intelsat 805 is currently still active after being launched in 1998 then it is possible that 907 will go for at least a couple more years yet.
I have found no information that says any different to the wiki page so unless anyone has any further information I would say that, bar something uncontrollable happening to it, 907 will be around for another couple of years yet.

Wiki page link: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Intelsat_satellites

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Your in a "hotspot" where you are in Alicante. As soon as you move south you will lose the bbcs and itvs and head north past Calpe and they'll disappear again.

BBC and ITV signals are still quite strong a fair bit north of calpe.. in fact Valencia City has a very nice "hot spot" for decent signals... north of valencia the signals drops again, to around tarregona area where 1.8s and 2.4s start to be needed.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Would like to hear a little more about the Icescript Box. I have an Oyster 85 dish. Are you saying if I connect it to an Icescript Box and tune to Intelsat 907 I will get BBc Itv Channel 4, 5 etc in southern Spain and Portugal. I see Icescript boxes in Maplin around £55.

Thanks for your help.

Trevor

Anthony OysterTech

Oyster Satellite and Wifi Technical Service
Jan 25, 2017
Welford
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
Since 2008
Hi Trevor,

Utilising Intelsat 907 for use of the Sat back stations is illegal as you are accessing encrypted services without permission. For that reason I'm afraid I cannot offer any advice on how to obtain these services.

I can tell you that the Oyster Vision III is the only Oyster system capable of automatically locking to that satellite. Any other Oyster system would need to be automatically locked on to Hispasat and then moved to Intelsat via the manual search function. Also, as Intelsat is situated at 27.5 degrees West and Astra 2 is situated at 28.2 degrees East, the LNB Skew angle required is a lot different and therefore if you do not have an auto skew system you would need to alter the LNB angle every time you wish to change between the two Satellites. If you are unsure on which system you have please PM me with the serial number of your system and I can advice on the model you have.

Last edited:

Satandpcguy

Funster
Jun 18, 2008
Gandia, Valencia, Spain
Funster No
MH
Don't own one yet
Exp
None
Would like to hear a little more about the Icescript Box. I have an Oyster 85 dish. Are you saying if I connect it to an Icescript Box and tune to Intelsat 907 I will get BBc Itv Channel 4, 5 etc in southern Spain and Portugal.
Trevor
You can currently get about 10 UKTV channels on I907, BBC1 ( a few regional versions of this) ,2,4,News, Cbbc, CBeebies, ITV1, C4, Five, Film4. Nothing else. ( see http://www.satandpcguy.com/intelsat-bbc-satback/intelsat-907-27-5-west-bbc-satback-channels/ )
It is only a back up service for Freeview, and only a handful of PSB channels are required to be available for back up on this service.

Like most things there are many models of Icecrypt satellite receivers, and perhaps not all of them are compatible with the service.

On a side note, Arqiva, who operate the service, are up for sale, so who knows what the new owners will do with this service...just saying

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back