Santiago de Compostela

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by artemis, May 23, 2012.

1. artemis

artemis

Has anybody help with information about where to park in or near Santiago. I wondered if it is better to find an aire/campsite outside and catch a bus into the city. There does not seem to be an ACSI site in the area and nothing in the Spanish Aires book.

Any advice would be welcome.
    Elizabeth :Smile::Smile:

2. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

When do you need the info I will be doing the pilgrime journey by bicycle in July and can look out for info regarding MH parking for you

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Google maps show a few..

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Camping+near+Santiago+de+Compostela,+Spain&hl=en&ll=42.903634,-8.511658&spn=0.127502,0.328903&sll=42.880996,-8.421021&sspn=0.510192,1.315613&oq=camping++Santiago+de+Compostela,+Spain&hq=Camping&hnear=Santiago+de+Compostela,+Corunna,+Galicia,+Spain&t=m&fll=42.906651,-8.512344&fspn=0.127496,0.328903&z=12&iwloc=B

This one looks good and is listed in ACSI
    http://www.campingascancelas.com/

• Like Like x 1
  4. chatter

chatter Read Only Funster

• Like Like x 1
  5. Popeye

Popeye Funster

This is all I can find with ACSI. San Marcos at Monte de Gozo. A few miles ENE

6. artemis

artemis

Santiago

We are setting off for Santander on Sunday so July is too late but would be interested to know how you get on. Which route are you taking?

Last year we saw lots of pilgrims heading that way on foot, bicycle aneven on donkeys so I wanted to go there. Unfortunately am not fit enough to take the pilgrims route but just seeing the place will be better than nothing.

Good luck with your pilgrimage.
    Elizabeth :thumb:

7. 1948

1948 Read Only Funster

Thank you, there are four of us doing this pilgrime journey to raise money for cancer All having personal reasons to do so.
    Journey starts in South of England bike to Portsmonth/ Santender/ Santiago de compostela/Santender/portsmonth/ Horley, surrey We plan to cycle this in 3 weeks

8. billkce

billkce Funster

We're gonna walk in ....:Rofl1:

Attached Files:

9. artemis

artemis

How long is it going to take? Only for the super fit!!

10. Red Sonja

Red Sonja Funster

Watched the film The Way with Martin Sheen. This was a great watch and its all about a Father whose Son dies walking the Way (The Pilgrims Way) and how he walks the way to come to terms with whats happene. He also meets other pilgrims on the way.

I really enjoyed it and yes I think if I was younger and more phsically fit I might consider this challenge.

Sonja

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I must admit I knew little of the pilgrims way, but watching that film has inspired us to walk it, or at least some of it. We were going to spend a couple of days in Santiago de Compostela in the first week of Feb, but you'll remember there was snow everywhere so we headed south.

• Like Like x 1
  12. artemis

artemis

Thanks for mentioning the film about the pilgrimage. I had not heard of it but will try to get hold of a copy. We were fascinated last year when in Northern Spain and the Pyrenees to see shell shapes stuck on to buildings and and were told these were marking the pilgrim route.

13. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You can see signs all over Europe and beyond. I'd seen them but hadn't quite realised what they were. Here are some routes http://www.csj.org.uk/map.htm