Santander to Southern Portugal

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Adbt, Apr 9, 2016.

1. Adbt

Adbt Funster

Setting off on Friday August Bank Holiday in the motorhome, ferry to Santander and then driving to Southern Portugal , one stop on the way down , two on the way back . 14 days in total on the continent .
    Any recommendations for stopovers and / or final destination in Southern Portugal , cheers in advance.
    Due to time limits we will be using motorways mainly.

2. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    Caceres....good site with restaurant and an aire in the town.

Eastern Algarve would be my preference ( cos that's where I am :) ) not spoilt like the middle bit and nearer if travelling via Seville which is the easiest and quickest route..

Return journey stop at one of the 2 aires in Seville, only 2hrs from Tavira, and have time to see the city. 2nd stop could be Plasencia, Camping Monfrague, or Caceres again, or Salamanca, there is a site very near to the motorway whose name escapes me at the moment but is used by a lot of overwinterers en route to Santander.

3. campa cola

campa cola Funster

Good plan, the main coast non toll road south of Porto down to the south is really crap in places so I would avoid that one at all costs.Campercontact no 29490 was the best free aire I stayed at in Portugal. But it's on the coast. Campercontact number 47546 at €6 was the best paid for site I stayed in Portugal nr Sintra.