Santander to Cadiz - sites end Oct09? (1 Viewer)

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
getting ferry to Santander and then travelling down towards Cadiz end Oct09. Any recommendations for sites en route, travelling Santander, Valladolid, Salamanca, Seville, Cadiz; final destination near Conil.
Particularly interested in site for first night - ferry docks about 12noon local time, but takes ages to get off ferry from past experience. So need site prob no more than 2-3hrs drive, assuming ferry is on time.
Any advice would be much appreciated.
cheers :thumb:
steles

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
drive along the coast heading towards gijon lots of beaches to park at . most sites will probably be closed .drop down to leon,zamora, salamanca,lots places to stay on the way big picnic areas with parking.
another way is take the route to burgos ,its very steep but i do it all the time when you get to the top of the hill there is a big layby on the right with water. its an incredible climb not to be missed .not goodfor coming home i use the other route. (brake fade is common going down from burgos to santander).its all a lovelly drive best not be in a rush so much to see.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
thanks, vwalan. we did the burgos to santander road earlier this year, having stayed a couple of nights at Riaza.
looked at Gijon on the map and hadn't thought about going along coast and then cut south from there. is it a better route than though valladolid, etc which, on paper at least, looked quite direct? both ways go over a few bumpy bits and hoping cold weather will not have kicked in.
really had wanted a site for the first night rather than wild camp (confess we're not too good at that!). do you know of any that might be open?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
cant say i know of any. i usualy come back that way in april .the coast run is very nice. roads good . we try to keep as close to the sea as possible ,we are in quite big trucks and quite like the roads. i think the top coast of spain is the best place in spain ,too cold in winter but never mind. i have to say i hardly ever use sites so wild camping comes easy for me. getting a bit hard near conil for free camping as of late but like it there. i like following the coasts dont need a map or sat nav then. if there is a road between the sea and me, i must be on the wrong road. have fun which ever way you venture we only live once. cheers alan.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
we did the canon del rio lobos last year between burgos and el burgos de osma very nice .spain as lots of different country side its quite amazing how many just drive through as fast as they can just to get to the med.there is so much to seeon the way ,sometimes we never get to where we think we were going . thats why i like wild camping . stop where you are when its time to stop not have to race to a campsite.

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
I wouldn't consider anything but the direct A67 autovia to palencia out of santander , has been a couple of years since I went that way but they have done a fantastic job , don't suppose it is quite finished yet though
don't suppose you will find any camp sites open at this time of year , but once you get off the autovia there are a number of small places where you can just pull in and stop safely for the night ; having said that we pull OFF the autovias into a smallish town [ which would be south of torrelavaga on this route ], the old main road through always provides a perfect place for the night outside the travellers hostals and usually in company with some trucks ...we like our safety :Smile:: very quiet as the traffic is out on the autovia

not good at wild camping ? when travelling , just pull off the main through routes to somewhere smallish where people live , stop, turn off engine , pour gin & tonic ; nothing to it !

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi lebesset.why the rush ,the old roads are the way to go pass through all the villages its great. i always try to avoid main routes you miss out on all the fun if you stay on the main rds. i still use a map from 1974 its swiss so the fun is working out the names of the villages .you would think they would use spanish names. try travelling like it its not so bad you find alsorts of places of interest .france is the same stat off the toll n motor ways the journey is part of the experiance.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
thanks, lebesset. I've just found a site at Aguilar de Campoo (near a reservoir I think), have you tried that one, or heard of it?
We were planning a route on the main roads because we weren't sure whether the snow and ice would have arrived by end Oct (certainly pass some high ground initially south of Santander). so at this stage playing safe.
had a giggle at the gin and tonic scenario...
steles

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
there could very well be lots of snow n ice but the roads should be clear. i hope to be on them not long after you. there very often is snow from now to may on the hills in the distance along that road.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hilldweller/Brian, had wondered whether PenelopePitstop might come on line, though not sure she's been on this particular route (have been having a look at her blog).
thanks for snow report, vwalan. we are hoping to avoid the snow and ice, but know its arrival can be quite early in the year.
have found a site Aguilar de Campoo, about 2hrs south of Santander, limited facilities, but near a reservoir and just off main road. don't know if anyone has used it but looks a possibility. only trouble is, can't find an email address for them to confirm if they're open!
steles

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
snow and ice in early october ? I live at about 1000 meters up in southern france , similar height to aiguilar , and am still in shirtsleeves ...don't know where alan has been ; wouldn't event expect a frost overnight as yet ..re alan's point about using quieter roads , I agree in principle ...with the exclusion of mountain roads where I have learned to use good roads if at all possible

the camp sites up there are for people to get up away from the summer heat , and the chances of it being open now are about 0 percent ...I don't know the camping itself as I haven't stayed in a campsite while travelling in over 25 years , whether caravanning or motorhoming ; when I'm tired or conditions turn bad I stop and find somewhere ...safety first for me

auigilar is just before where the new autovia used to end , perhaps still does ; you could always stop there and look , am sure there will be absolutely no problem if the camp site is closed , being one of the by-passed small towns I referred to before

incidentally , you may find 3 hours nearer the mark , it's usually busy getting away from santander , don't know how fast your oufit climbs without drinking diesel :Smile: , am sure you will fill before leaving the coast ..having arrived in spain down to the last litre !

spain is a big empty country and accustomed to people stopping overnight in safety as they travel ...wild campers included ; just avoid staying in lay-by's and service areas ...you are always welcome in small towns and villages , and the residents take it personally if their visitors are not treated with respect !

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
lebesset, thanks for all that info. everything is a help. think you may be right about 3hrs and not 2hrs from Santander. we came home via Santander earlier this year and watched the chaotic offloading and queues trying to get away from Santander. although the ferry is due to dock 12noon local time, assuming it arrives on time, don't expect to get out of Santander until about 2-3pm.
steles

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
thanks everyone for all your help. got a better idea of where to stay, route, etc now.
steles

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
you are more than welcome ...let us know how you got on when you arrive , won't you !
always important to add to the knowledge base

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Royston Vasey and beyond!
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hilldweller/Brian, had wondered whether PenelopePitstop might come on line, though not sure she's been on this particular route (have been having a look at her blog).
thanks for snow report, vwalan. we are hoping to avoid the snow and ice, but know its arrival can be quite early in the year.
have found a site Aguilar de Campoo, about 2hrs south of Santander, limited facilities, but near a reservoir and just off main road. don't know if anyone has used it but looks a possibility. only trouble is, can't find an email address for them to confirm if they're open!
steles

Hi Steve!

No we haven't done that particular route - we were thinking about doing it this year but setting off too late now I think. We'll be leaving end Oct and we want to visit friends near Murcia and more near Granada so I think we'll end up doing the med route again! Also we don't want to encounter snow in the mountains!!!:Eeek:

Will keep watching to see how you get on!:thumb:

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
lebesset, yes will let you know how we get on.
Marie, we've got our fingers crossed we don't encounter the snow and ice. know the Spanish are good at keeping the roads clear, but would rather not encounter it! (by the way it's Lesley, the other half of steles)
:Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
the roads will be clear ,they waste no time doing that but you will see snow on the mountains usually.every year as we land at santander we wonder if we will make it as snow can be seen on the pecos as you land. a great site to see. have fun .cheers alan.

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)
Another idea if when you get of the ferry you don't want to travel to far there is a excellent sight at Santalander del mar (camping cheque) which is about 25 miles from ferry we stopped there over night before travelling on, and if you have time a beautiful medieval town to have a look around. Carol.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
vwalan, thanks for reassurance re snow. you're right, it's lovely to look at - in the distance!
carol, have heard of that campsite before, it's just along the coast from Santander isn't it? wanted to get a start on heading south as soon as possible, though (to some sun hopefully).
steles

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
lebesset, yes will let you know how we get on.
Marie, we've got our fingers crossed we don't encounter the snow and ice. know the Spanish are good at keeping the roads clear, but would rather not encounter it! (by the way it's Lesley, the other half of steles)
:Smile:

Sorry Lesley! I presumed it was Steve!
I see from your profile you're from Derbyshire? Which part? We're in Glossop - well used to snow and don't want it any more!!:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi penelope pitstop , you must know one of my old vw mates ,alan schofield. we were in the vw game ,he still is. saw him at malvern show the other day. cheers alan.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Marie, no problem, we're not far from Chesterfield.

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Santander to Cadiz - update

Thought you might like an update.
Night before ferry from Portsmouth, stayed at Caravan Club Winchester site. Grass only and slid about a bit! Not up to usual CC standards. Crossing to Santander ok for first 5 hours, then lumpy. Landed 12.15 instead of 12 local time, so not bad and managed to get off by 1.15pm. made good time, so didn’t stay at Aguilar de Campoo, but headed down to Salamanca to Don Quixote. Instrucs sounded really simple, but weren’t! several tours of Santander later a guardia pointed us in the right direction. Thought at first site was closed, as looked derelict, but closer inspection revealed open. 13 euros, ACSI. Obviously had been nice once, but had had high winds and heavy rain which had brought down trees and branches everywhere. Not been cleaned up, lots of litter, basic facilities, but ok for night halt if not windy (wouldn’t trust trees). Shame, ‘cos nice walk along river into Salamanca.
Next day short hop to Caceres. lovely coffee/lunch spot (parking and picnic sign) just of main road south of Bejar, on cliff edge overlooking reservoir.
2nd night Caceres. Brill site, just off main road, easy to find, individual shower/toilet hut, water, elec to each pitch, 15 euros ACSI. Next to footie stadium, so could be noisy when matches on. Bus every 30 mins across road into Caceres, no paths to walk although only 4km.
convenient layby, not picturesque, at el Ronquillas north of Seville, for lunch, etc, en route to final destination, Camping Pinar San Jose, Zahora, between Conil and Barbate. Really good price if long stay, 200 euros pm for 3mths or more, inc fast wifi, elec and water to each pitch. Roads round site sand, and like a slalom through pine trees to get to pitches! Access to some pitches difficult for larger vehicles. First pitch we were directed to we reversed onto and sunk to axles in sand. Managed to dig ourselves out, moved to another pitch, ok. Found 2nd pitch reserved from 1 Nov, so selected a 3rd. slowly edged off pitch and sunk to axles, couldn’t dig out, so got towed out to within a few inches of road! Sunk again, towed again. Parked up on edge of road, and rethought situation. Really wanted to see area; beautiful beach, sea, natural park, wildlife, etc. now in bungalow for 21 nights (15 euros a night), really miss being in van but only way to stop for time being and not horrendously expensive. Now spraying trees and everyone/thing in sight. Will move on further east at end of 21 nights.
Really good road from Santander down to Cadiz, dual carriageway just about all the way and mostly pretty deserted (A67,A66,E803.E5/A4). Santander to Salamanca not many fuel stations. One short section of peage cost 6,90 euros (didn’t charge class II rate which would have been 10,35).
Hope that helps any others taking this route to Portugal or Cadiz.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Camping Pinar San Jose, Zahora, between Conil and Barbate. Really good price if long stay, 200 euros pm for 3mths or more, inc fast wifi, elec and water to each pitch. Roads round site sand, and like a slalom through pine trees to get to pitches! Access to some pitches difficult for larger vehicles. First pitch we were directed to we reversed onto and sunk to axles in sand. Managed to dig ourselves out, moved to another pitch, ok. Found 2nd pitch reserved from 1 Nov, so selected a 3rd. slowly edged off pitch and sunk to axles, couldn’t dig out, so got towed out to within a few inches of road! Sunk again, towed again. Parked up on edge of road, and rethought situation. Really wanted to see area; beautiful beach, sea, natural park, wildlife, etc. now in bungalow for 21 nights (15 euros a night), really miss being in van but only way to stop for time being and not horrendously expensive. Now spraying trees and everyone/thing in sight. Will move on further east at end of 21 nights.

Glad to hear you made it safely!:thumb:
Sorry to hear about your problems with the pitches at Pinar San Jose.:Sad:
We were OK last year although the ground is soft - Rayv8 sank in his Winnebago but dug out and put blocks under his wheels! :ROFLMAO:
We stayed there for 2 months and took our van off site a few times without any problems - great area to explore - plenty of parking even with a van!
Nice to hear they haven't put the pitch prices up yet! We're booked in from Dec 1st for 3 months. Can't wait to get there! ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

What's the weather like? Hope we're in for a better winter than last year!

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Marie

Every one on site agrees that the ground this year is far more of a problem than last year.
It would seem that the pitches were very badly torn up during the summer and they have reseeded most areas, unfortunately they are watering all day every day and this is causing the sand to become very unstable. As for the weather so far sun and very few clouds since sat. temp today 28 deg with little change forecast. Very friendly site staff only to pleased to help.

Steles

lebesset

Free Member
May 31, 2009
Funster No
some years ago pulled out of avila on the carretera for salamanca , no autovia's in those days ; high winds and getting higher , the outfit became more and more dangerous to drive , drove in the gutter otherwise jumped over the centre line if a truck passed the other way

crawled into salamanca , pulled into don quixote , parked into wind , trees horizontal , if you faced into the wind you could stand at 45 degrees and it supported you

don't remember the date but apparently that night michael fish said that they didn't have hurricanes in the uk

they sure do in spain though

OP
OP
steles

steles

Free Member
Sep 2, 2007
Kent
Funster No
MH
Panel Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2005
whoops, Lebesset. we were obviously very lucky to miss the winds (prob caught them on the ferry). noticed that the road in places was very open on both sides, like a plateau, so any winds would have whipped straight across. as I say, we were obviously very lucky... or perhaps right time of year. thought we might encounter snow, but it was only obvious on the tops of the Picos mountains.

PenelopePitstop

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 3, 2007
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 1999
Hi Marie

Every one on site agrees that the ground this year is far more of a problem than last year.
It would seem that the pitches were very badly torn up during the summer and they have reseeded most areas, unfortunately they are watering all day every day and this is causing the sand to become very unstable. As for the weather so far sun and very few clouds since sat. temp today 28 deg with little change forecast. Very friendly site staff only to pleased to help.

Steles

Hope the little gardener chappie stops the watering soon then!! Last year we used our grass mats under the wheels which helped to spread the weight.:thumb:

The staff are super aren't they? Is Carmen still there? Are they still getting meat for us from the English butcher in Chiclana? His bacon and sausages are great!!:thumb:

Reading your post is getting really excited about getting there!! Love the place!:roflmto:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back