santander to beni, advice please (1 Viewer)

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
two routes pop up on sat nav.. one setting off on A67 I think directly south via Madrid by the looks, and the second by way of bilbao and towards the coast and I assume using tolls. .does anyone know the approx. cost of toll's if you choose to use those routes, or is the A67 route a good road and easy drive.. don't intend to hang around but get south as soon as possible, its my first time doing this..
travel this coming Thursday. thanks for any info
ta andy

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
Have fun Andy, cant really help with route, although Borgos down to Madrid bit was our route to Granada, no tolls, reasonable road, the rest I will leave to others (y)

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
There is an 'aire' or Spanish equivalent overlooking some kind of game reserve with elephants and stuff not far from
Santander which looks really good!
Hopefully someone will post a reminder of where that is!
Have seen pics and looks well worth a stopover(y)
Not sure what route it's on?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jan 26, 2010
Conwy, North Wales
Funster No
MH
Relay self build
Exp
Since 2007
Hi Andy
We came in on the ferry to Santander last night. Based upon our experiences, you might want to have a plan B just in case. The bad weather slowed the ferry down so we ended up 3 hours late which meant we were disembarking in the dark. We have come directly South via Palencia / Valladolid and there was fog and 1 deg temperatures in the mountains until we got down to just north of Salamanca when we suddenly got sunshine and 19 degrees. I don't want to put a dampener on it for you but it may be wise to be prepared. I hope it is a lot better for you. Having said that, we have been out to eat tonight just needing a light fleece! No tolls on the motorway that we used so far and very little traffic so a good drive down. Possibly helps because it's Sunday as well. Have to get around Seville tomorrow which will probably be quite different!! Have a good trip. Fuel by the way is around €1.07 in the garage we went into in Santander this morning and € 1.17 on the motorway so worth thinking about before you fill up in UK

panda

Free Member
Dec 16, 2011
notts
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 1996
Never been that way, Andy, but have a great time and enjoy the experience, Ann and Mick xxx

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
There is an 'aire' or Spanish equivalent overlooking some kind of game reserve with elephants and stuff not far from
Santander which looks really good!
Hopefully someone will post a reminder of where that is!
Have seen pics and looks well worth a stopover(y)
Not sure what route it's on?
thanks dave I have had a look at that and it is where we may stop wed night before setting off Thursday..
ta andy

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy
We came in on the ferry to Santander last night. Based upon our experiences, you might want to have a plan B just in case. The bad weather slowed the ferry down so we ended up 3 hours late which meant we were disembarking in the dark. We have come directly South via Palencia / Valladolid and there was fog and 1 deg temperatures in the mountains until we got down to just north of Salamanca when we suddenly got sunshine and 19 degrees. I don't want to put a dampener on it for you but it may be wise to be prepared. I hope it is a lot better for you. Having said that, we have been out to eat tonight just needing a light fleece! No tolls on the motorway that we used so far and very little traffic so a good drive down. Possibly helps because it's Sunday as well. Have to get around Seville tomorrow which will probably be quite different!! Have a good trip. Fuel by the way is around €1.07 in the garage we went into in Santander this morning and € 1.17 on the motorway so worth thinking about before you fill up in UK
thanks for all of that martin, I have a feeling you are right about needing to be prepared, as I just seen the countryfile forecast. im thinking most probably will take the A67 south then head for Madrid and on from there.. many thanks.. andy

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
since Dec 2008 after 10 years caravanning
Hi Andy, we have just done this trip, from Santander head for Bilboa,
pick up AP68, it is toll road all the way to zarragoza, €33, from there take A23, to Valencia, then A7, then AP7 toll, €13, to Beni,
Safe journey mate,

Eric

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Forgot to add Andy the route I have advised, its 529 miles, santander to Beni,

Southampton

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 16, 2011
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
We went the same route as Gloworm via Bilbao-Zaragoza-Valencia. A good overnight is in the motorway services at Sobradiel just before reaching Zarragoza. I think a fea funsters use this route and stopover as well.

TM59

Free Member
Sep 16, 2011
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Rapido V55 PVC
Exp
since 2003
Goggle Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabarceno. Stayed earlier in the year, beautiful location for a stopover about 30 minutes from Santander.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Hi Andy, we have just done this trip, from Santander head for Bilboa,
pick up AP68, it is toll road all the way to zarragoza, €33, from there take A23, to Valencia, then A7, then AP7 toll, €13, to Beni,
Safe journey mate,

Eric
thanks , eric back to undecided after that, as I had made my mind up to head south towards Madrid, but the toll's are not that bad and the roads I know will be good.. hope to be in beni on Saturday and hope to see you and others if you are still there. booked into villa sol (think that's the one ) for a week anyway
ta andy

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
We always take the toll from Santander across to Barcelona ( ish).

My favourite road and my favourite drive.

About 40€ I think coast to Coast.

We stop in Rioja region overnight, but only because we want to

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We went the same route as Gloworm via Bilbao-Zaragoza-Valencia. A good overnight is in the motorway services at Sobradiel just before reaching Zarragoza. I think a fea funsters use this route and stopover as well.
thanks for that Southampton I think I read something about that stopover on an an earlier thread

Goggle Parque de la Naturaleza de Cabarceno. Stayed earlier in the year, beautiful location for a stopover about 30 minutes from Santander.
cheers TM59 I will have a look as don't want to be travelling far when we leave the ferry.... it might be delayed a bit, weather don't look grea tfor crossing
ta andy

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
We always take the toll from Santander across to Barcelona ( ish).

My favourite road and my favourite drive.

About 40€ I think coast to Coast.

We stop in Rioja region overnight, but only because we want to

thanks chris, im going to be busy checking all this out on a map lol.. not done it before and some of the names im not familiar with.
ta andy

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Our route last November. Head for Burgos and the A1, any motorway without a 'P' is free. We're usually coming down from France, so first stop is: http://www.picodelamiel.com/?lng=1. If you want Beni then use the A3 and A31. Have a good trip. Ed
thanks Ed, ill be reading through the lot again then it will be make my mind up time. :)
ta andy

Dec 30, 2008
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi Andy, yes we will still be at villasol when you arrive, will look out for you,

Eric

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
Tolls in Spain no way as expensive as France! as campers in the same class as cars? Really not worth avoiding...I don't keep records but sure it don't cost much more than £20 or so from the border to benidorm?

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
two routes pop up on sat nav.. one setting off on A67 I think directly south via Madrid by the looks, and the second by way of bilbao and towards the coast and I assume using tolls. .does anyone know the approx. cost of toll's if you choose to use those routes, or is the A67 route a good road and easy drive.. don't intend to hang around but get south as soon as possible, its my first time doing this..
travel this coming Thursday. thanks for any info
ta andy

Just got back from Benidorm via Santander. Would recomend Burgos (you need to visit) down to Madrid and then A 3 to Valencia and use toll road then AP7 down to Benidorm. About 12 euros. One 2 euro 50c toll at Madrid as you come off A1. 600 mile trip. Three ACSI sites open just off A1 north of Madrid. Safe journey.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Just got back from Benidorm via Santander. Would recomend Burgos (you need to visit) down to Madrid and then A 3 to Valencia and use toll road then AP7 down to Benidorm. About 12 euros. One 2 euro 50c toll at Madrid as you come off A1. 600 mile trip. Three ACSI sites open just off A1 north of Madrid. Safe journey.

Thanks Busby for the advice. Still undecided lol. Fairly even split for the two routes. Got the time on the ferry to make a decision. Thanks again.
Ta Andy.

Aug 18, 2011
derbys
Funster No
MH
AUTOSLEEPER SYMBOL
Exp
since 2007.Tugger before since 1970
Thanks Busby for the advice. Still undecided lol. Fairly even split for the two routes. Got the time on the ferry to make a decision. Thanks again.
Ta Andy.

Its fifty miles shorter via Madrid and a more interesting route. I have used both routes. Drive safe. BUSBY.

markh

Free Member
Jun 4, 2014
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Lots
Use the same route as glow worm, often snow at Burgos and very cold around Madrid too, we used that route via Zaragoza 3 weeks ago no problem and tolls as per glow worms post, you can overnight at sobradiel if you need to, free and safe

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
Use the same route as glow worm, often snow at Burgos and very cold around Madrid too, we used that route via Zaragoza 3 weeks ago no problem and tolls as per glow worms post, you can overnight at sobradiel if you need to, free and safe

thanks markh, appreciate you taking the time along with all the others... leave tomorrow morning for Portsmouth, and hoping for a good crossing.
ta andy

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I haven't experienced any problems going via Burgos and bypassing Madrid along side the airport. Head for Alicante via Tarancon and Albacete then on towards Alicante where you'll pick up the short motorway drive to Benidorm. If you need an overnight stop there are plenty of very quiet service stations. We stop on them no bother.

OP
OP
andy63

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I haven't experienced any problems going via Burgos and bypassing Madrid along side the airport. Head for Alicante via Tarancon and Albacete then on towards Alicante where you'll pick up the short motorway drive to Benidorm. If you need an overnight stop there are plenty of very quiet service stations. We stop on them no bother.

once again thanks for all the advice , it really is appreciated and typical of the folk on MHF.
will be away soon , and don't want to sound ungrateful but wont be on line much longer to reply after this, so ill say ta one last time, but no more posts LOL(y)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
Hi Andy

Just curious which route you decided upon and how it went?

I'm just starting to think about our route from Bilbao to Beni in a few weeks time. @busby Phil, looking at my Michelin planner app, the Zarragoza route seems to come up the quickest and shortest 474 miles and about 33 euro on the motorways? But you seem to favour the Madrid route and I just wondered why?

Dave:)

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
@andy63 Just curious Andy which route you decided upon and how it went?

I'm just starting to think about our route from Bilbao to Beni in a few weeks time. @busby Phil, looking at my Michelin planner app, the Zarragoza route seems to come up the quickest and shortest 474 miles and about 33 euro on the motorways? But you seem to favour the Madrid route and I just wondered why. Is it that it's better from Santander?

Dave

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back