Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Hello we are Sandie and Eddy and we are very new to this!
. We have recently bought an Auto Cruise Starfire Boxer and are about to try it out.
Ed has wanted to buy a motorhome for a while but as I'm not too sure we opted for a small second hand model first.
Now the dilemma is.... Ed quite likes the idea of "Wild Camping" Is this allowed in UK? Is it safe and are there plenty of places to stopover? We are planning on going up to Cumbria for a week in October.
I personally would rather go into campsites. Is it best to join one? Is there one that anyone can recommend please. It's all a bit of a minefield at the moment, but I'm sure once we have been out and experienced the freedom it will grow on me.

I hope !!!

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi and welcome..

I won't enter the wild camping debate .. but if you search it there are plenty of posts and supporters .. personally I prefer CLs

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Hi Sandie and Eddy,

Wildcamping is great, but it does take a bit of getting used to. I enjoy it, and plenty of people do nothing but wild camp. However I know that some people can never truly relax when wildcamping so it sort of defeats the object for them.

There has been plenty written about it in our wildcamping section so go and have a good read. Meanwhile welcome to the Fun:thumb:

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
Hi and welcome to fun

Have a look through the various forums and search the word wildcamping on here and you will get tons of results and advice

DESCO

Free Member
Mar 11, 2009
London
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
18 years +12 years tugging
I won't enter the wild camping debate .. but if you search it there are plenty of posts and supporters .. personally I prefer CLs

Welcome to MH Fun

Personally would join one of the big clubs Caravan & Camping Club or Caravan Club, myself Caravan & Camping and start using their sites, people around to help out if in trouble, then use CS small sites limited to 5 vans.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
I personally would rather go into campsites. Is it best to join one?

It's the easy option to get used to van. Once you know the ropes then get adventurous.

One of our first stops was the CC site at Bowness, we like Bowness, a bit crowded but good facilities. For a quieter one the Conniston site is big and quiet and not too far to walk to Conniston.

Loads more of course.

BUT roads very narrow, be prepared for many sharp intakes of breath and maybe a folded wing mirror. It pays to fold the passenger side early on those roads.

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Welcome to MH Fun

Personally would join one of the big clubs Caravan & Camping Club or Caravan Club, myself Caravan & Camping and start using their sites, people around to help out if in trouble, then use CS small sites limited to 5 vans.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

Hiya ,
I agree with Desco .
We are members of the CCC and a private rally club. We manage to get away most weekends, we have done a bit of wild camping , here and there where its nice and quiet or in our favourite country pubs carpark..
But when we rally we dont have hook up either. You just have to make sure you have a good solar panel and batteries. Having all your bulbs swapped to LCD is a good idea too. We very rarely hook up anywhere , we only take the Honda Generator out with us , in winter. And thats only if we know we will be doing more than a weekend , just incase.
We have got used to paying well under £10 for the 5 of us and 2 dogs, where ever we go.

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Welcome. ::bigsmile:

Miller Field at Ambleside, is a cracking place to stay right on the edge of town. A good intro to wilding in a known and safe environment.

Details below from a recent meet.

Miller Field
Rothay Rd, Ambleside, Cumbria.
LA22 0EE

For bookings and enquiries the preferred method of contact is by email to; mfmcambles@hotmail.com stating your name, van registration number and proposed dates.

Phone No. 07708310986

Secure overnight motorhome camping in the centre of Ambleside, based on the French “Aires” system.
Facilities are limited to secure parking within a two minute walk of all the amenities that Ambleside has to offer: Supplies, Groceries, fuel, bars, restaurants and a chippy ….

Cost per night is dependant on the length of your motorhome, regardless of the number of occupants.

Fresh Lakeland water (From the tap) is available, as is an elsan disposal.
No Electric Hook Ups
Dogs welcome & must be kept under control at all times.
Dogs to be exercised off site, but there was a handy field adjacent J

For security reasons, it is important that the main gate remains locked at all times except for your arrival & departure

DIRECTIONS; Take A66 from Braithwaite to Keswick, then take A591 to Ambleside,

go through Ambleside, turn right onto Wansfell rd, then right onto Rothay rd, Miller Field Motorhome camping on left.

From Kendal turn first left into Ambleside sign posted Langdale / Coniston, go past Rugby Club on left follow signs for Keswick, in 20yds Miller Field Camping on left.

Brisey

Deceased RIP
Sep 4, 2007
Sutton on Sea
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2003
Hi Sandied and :welcome: to MotorhomeFun.:thumb:
Come along to a Funster meet, Where you will meet lots of friendly people who will be only too pleased to show you the ropes, you will have a great time as well.

flyingwelcome

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
hi

hi there sandie & eddy and a warm welcome to MHF.enjoyyyyyyy:welcome: regards brian jo & josh

OP
OP
S

sandied

Free Member
Sep 21, 2010
Essex
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starfire
Exp
2 years
Wow thanks everyone for the kind welcome and all of the information. We will have to do a bit of a plan before we go.Thers so much to take in. It's great to hear from so many like minded people who are obviously enjoying this new hobby of ours!

staging lady

Free Member
Nov 12, 2007
North Wales in the Hills
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 years but caravan owner in past
Hi Sandie and Ed and welcome. We stayed at sites with electric hook ups,either Caravan Club sites or their 5 van Certified locations till we got used to the MH. As brisey said coming to a meet means you will get lots of help from friendly people.
Lucille

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back