Sand/Mud mats: any recommendations ? (1 Viewer)

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
After seeing someone get stuck on a water logged field last year (UK) and last week someone burying their van in loose sand/pine needles I though some mats should be added to the emergency kit box, as well as a tow rope.....

Can anyone recommend any mats for this job ? Nothing too fancy as my Watford Gap is about Limoges so sand is more frequently encountered than mud...

mike mcglynn

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jan 6, 2008
St. Helens MERSEYSIDE
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Warwick XL
Exp
A long time now
Mud skipping

Hi, Ridgeway try e bay look at sand ladders there are a few very nice ones or failing that get some old bread trays the plastic ones and cut off the sides thats what most of the funsters do :thumb:

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
:roflmto: You guys will recycle anything for an alternative use, I like it.

Just got to convince my local Boulangerie that his bread trays are looking old and are a health hazard......

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
If I think we are likely to get stuck we carry a pair of sand ladders similar to > Link Removed < .............. they are not cheap but are very strong and don't slip.:thumb:

Jun 30, 2010
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
1992 VW Auto sleeper Mono
Exp
Since 2005 this time
If I know I'm going to rough it and park on grass, I carry 4 steel pieces of 20mm mesh, 500mm x 1 metre which I put under each wheel.

I found them when rummaging around one of the old Barns on the Farm.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
If I think we are likely to get stuck we carry a pair of sand ladders similar to > Link Removed < .............. they are not cheap but are very strong and don't slip.:thumb:

great bits of kit .i carry two on mt truck . bought at a landrover show . they come off oil rig platforms and places like that .used as floors on gantries etc . but work a treat. in sand or mud .and for bridging .

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child

great bits of kit .i carry two on my truck . bought at a landrover show . they come off oil rig platforms and places like that .used as floors on gantries etc . but work a treat. in sand or mud .and for bridging .

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
cost £35
Link Removed

or ask local bakery for damaged bread trays

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

mikebeaches

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 22, 2010
Bristol
Funster No
MH
Rapido V68 Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2009
Just posted on another thread that I successfully extracted my van earlier this year, with both front wheels buried deep in sand, using Milenco grip-mats.

Link Removed

I was moving slowly on a campsite and the front of the van suddenly dropped down and ground to an immediate halt.

I was amazed they worked, but with the help of a small army-style shovel to dig a bit of sand out of the way behind the wheels first, then put the mats down and reversed back on to terra firma. The mats disappeared in the process - nowhere to be seen? In fact, buried deep in the sand - but they worked. So impressed, I bought a second set when we got home. :thumb:

Mike

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
you can get light weight big plastic shovels these days .great for sand/snow but do work in mud .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back