Samsung tab 7

Discussion in 'Computers' started by lunarman, Dec 16, 2012.

1. lunarman

lunarman Funster

Tesco have the original 7 inch tab on offer for £99. It has an early version of Android does anyone know if it will update to version 4

Lunarman

2. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Please tell me this isn't the samsung galaxy tab2 7 inch

3. buttons

buttons Funster

I would be very surprised if it was:Smile: How are you getting on with your cash back by the way.

Last edited: Dec 16, 2012
  4. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

All filed out and done on line, awaiting payment, will keep you posted.....only bummer is I had to open the thing up to get the serial number but its wrapped for Christmas so now re wrapped :Doh:

• Like Like x 1
  5. buttons

buttons Funster

I think I am getting confused between the Tab and the Note:cry:

6. buttons

buttons Funster

I had the same problem, I had to unwrap mine for same. it is now under the tree again:Smile: I checked the process on line today but it doesn't give much away, just says being process. I guess it's a case of waiting for it to arrive in your bank account.:thumb:

7. lunarman

lunarman Funster

No Paul it is the previous version

• Like Like x 1
  8. steveclecy

steveclecy Read Only Funster

Doesn't directly answer your question but my son "flashed" my Samsung Galaxy S Mobile phone (first generation) so it is now running Jelly Bean - and seems to run just fine.

Guess if it can be done with a mobile phone it can be done with a tablet.

Steve

9. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Long wait for cashback

It looks like they keep the cash as long as possible ..... the email confirmation for my application states;

"All that is left to do to is wait for your claim to be validated. The checking and validation process may take up to 14 days after claim submission so please expect to hear from us within this time frame regarding your claim. Successful claims will be settled electronically using the bank details provided during your application. Please allow a maximum of 45 days from validation for settlement."

So it looks like you have to wait up to 2 months for the cashback .... and I needed that to buy some food for Christmas, so please think of us going hungry as you tuck into your turkey:Wink:

10. buttons

buttons Funster

Thanks ICR it will be interesting to see how it pans out. :thumb:

11. Phill D

Phill D

I got my cash back exactly 45 days after confirmation, paid directly to my account without any notification.
    Long wait but £50 is £50 back and still really happy with tab 2 10.1:thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Although it is possible to update older tablets it may not be a good idea. If I recall correctly ginger bread required 512Mb of system memory whereas Jelly Bean needs 768Mb. Even if it installs you may find it slow or a battery hog as it will need to swap out a lot to work.

Check with the cyanogenmod forum for details as they are the best for custom android roms.

• Like Like x 1
  13. lunarman

lunarman Funster

I have done some research and purchased one of the Tesco tablets.

The tablet on offer is the Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 plus at £99 running Android 3.2. Reading a number of reviews I came across one comparing this tablet to the newer Tab 2 7.0 (now on offer for £158 in a number of places) the conclusion was that the hardware is identical the difference being in the version of Android the tab 2 running 4.0.4 ICS.

I also established that there was an official firmware upgrade to 4.0.4 ICS available from Samsung for the Tab Plus via their PC management software KIES.

I thought if I get one and upgrade it I effectively have a Tab 2 7.0 for £99 and a little bit of work. That is what I did.

Bought the Tab loaded Kies (available from Samsung support) to my laptop connected the 2 together and it did it all automatically in about 20 minutes.

I am well pleased with the result.:thumb:

They also have the larger 8.9" tablet on offer for £174 which can be similarly upgraded.

Lunarman

Last edited: Dec 17, 2012
    • Like Like x 1