Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
want to go to salou for a two week holiday end of june
with the price of fuel should i take the motorhome and spend a few days travelling there and back or just book a holiday on a plane and get there quicker and spend more time there
if i take the motorhome how long and how many days to get there without two much travelling each day
which route to take without too many tolls and what are the best and cheapest stopovers on route that i can easily get in
thanks for any info
paulus:thumb:

old-mo

Funster
Extra Special
LIFE MEMBER
Oct 16, 2008
Weymouth. Dorset...
Funster No
MH
Nearly aint got one.
Exp
Caravan & motorhome 45 + yrs
Personally I would drive and see a bit of France and other parts of Spain.

Salou is a lovely town, but I would take five/six days driving down and back,,,, three days down three days back and a week at Salou.:thumb: Save waisting two days of your hard earned holiday faffing around at airport`s. :Blush:

Costing`s I`m not really sure, but why pay £££££££££££`s for a motorhome and not use it on a super trip.. :thumb:

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
With the price of fuel these days it could be more expensive taking the van, depending whether you could get a very cheap price for flights and hotel.

But in the van IT WILL BE MUCH MORE FUN......:thumb::thumb::thumb::thumb:

Book that ferry now and start preparing the van and planning the route.......

.....and be sure to cross the bridge at Millau, no matter how often you cross it, it's Amazing!

Callum

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I just lobbed it into Via Michelin and called it a car and caravan, you can't "avoid motorways" on their program but you can at least "avoid tolls".

Nott to Salou = 1088 miles, at a petrol cost of £105.33.

Driving time, 24hrs 35mins with 9hrs 45mins on Mways.

So off mways entirely, more miles more money and more time.

Haven't partic looked at the route but surely if you fly, you'll need to pay for a hotel rather than a campsite and the hotel is def going to be dearer and everything else as you can't just have a drink (alc or cuppa) when you want one etc can you? OTOH you should get a complete rest.

Utterly different holidays - room for both in ones repertoire!

rob kinnear

Free Member
Nov 29, 2010
Swansea
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
1 year 10 years tugger
Hi i would drive to Salou as I did it last year and I would look at about £400 for diesel a fantastic trip and as already been said why stand in a airport for 2 days when you can enjoy the journey with the motorhome you already have. there is a site in the centre of Salou where you can get good public transport if you want or just walk to the beach. It will cost about £800 for a week for 2 if you are lucky on a package half board

http://www.camping-lasiesta.com/

Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Basing it on an average of 1.30 using autoroute with as few tolls as possible it is giving a cost of fuel 1 way of 300.52 I based milage on 20 round town and 25 on motorway/duel carriageways. no price for tolls and it took 3 days driving for most of the day eg. 9am -4.30pm. I have driven to just past Salou quite a few times and long hours driving doesnt phaze me as having driven for a living am used to long hours behind the wheel, I also drive well past there when visiting family down in San Miguel de Salinas, but its not fun if you are eager to get to your desination spending the whole day driving. So for a 2 week break I would fly.

If you choose to fly and want to book the whole thing yourself and will use Ryan air they fly into Reus which is 20 mins from Salou and there are plenty of hotels with offers on not only in Salou but also Cap Salou and La Pinnada which is 5 mins from Salou by car. I think for 2 weeks i would fly and hire a car if choosing my own hotel/itinery or if a good deal can be got via a travel agents use that

OP
OP
paulus the woodgnome

paulus the woodgnome

Free Member
Sep 25, 2008
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
4 years 2 months
yeah i think perhaps flying is probably best
i think i might spend two weeks around hollan france luxembourg etc in motorhome and then fly to salou for a week in sept:thumb:

it would cost me

481,00 euros

to stop here
Link Removed
for 9 nights then diesel at approx 600 pounds = approx 1081 (i know it is 481 euros but not far off that in pounds) add on tolls
it is nearly the price of a package deal for the three of us

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back