Salesman (1 Viewer)

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
As I said before, we ( members of forums that are for all manner of things in all walks of life ) need info, info, info !!

Hi Jaws - I could not agree with you more.
As the owner of an online retailer we live or die by our reputation and the reviews we get from our customers
I understand that over 60% of people search online for customer reviews before making a substantial purchase.

Using Lowdhams (from the original post) as an example I found the following places where people could leave either a positive or negative review
http://www.reviewcentre.com/Campervans-and-Motor-Homes/Lowdhams-of-Huddersfield--reviews_2011325
http://www.yelp.co.uk/biz/lowdham-leisure-world-huddersfield
https://www.trustpilot.co.uk/review/lowdhams.co.uk

The benefit for using these online review services is that you are likely to have your complaints (or compliments) heard by the company than if you simply have quiet moan on a forum somewhere.

I'd like to think that somebody at Lowdhams reads their online reviews - even if they don't your review is more likely to be read by other MH owner and potential customers / potential employees / suppliers etc

Another benefit of using the online review services is that Google aggregates reviews from a number of sources and includes this information when people search online for the company name.

Now - changing subject back to naming and shaming employees.
Poor service in a business may be down to lack of staff / lack of training etc. None of which are the fault of the employee. If you name and shame an individual, and that individual leaves the company, imagine what effect it would have on his/her future employment prospects if his prospective employer searches for his/her name online?

Thats my opinion anyway - for what its worth:censored:

Regards
Robert

glenstu

Free Member
Mar 6, 2013
Gainsborough ,Lincs
Funster No
MH
Adria Compact SLS
Exp
Wait for the condemnation from other Funsters, but have you tried Brownhills at Newark, sales is good - after sales service can be iffy, but you will leave knowing what mh you really want.

Most mh salespeople rarely know as much as the person looking to buy.
service can be iffy , Its a bit more then iffy

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Someone living near to us bought from Lowdhams and found their aftersales somewhat short of expectations..... Unfortunately a fairly common story.

When buying, we look at the deal itself and assume that the aftersales won't be anything great and then if it is - then that is a bonus. Pleased with the aftersales on current van, though. Very helpful.

When looking at a dealer, getting a "good feeling" about the salesman is quite important to us; body language, attitude, persistence etc. Marquis Ipswich had an American manager who was easy to deal with. They were willing but disorganised with the aftersales. Hayes have been good on both sides

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
On line reviews are no where near as useful ( or indeed trusted ) as a review posted by a fraternity IN the relevant fraternity

I know of several students who supplement their meagre income by posting +ve reviews for a whole range of companies.. A good many very large ones at that !!

And yes, hopefully it WOULD have an effect on the individual.. If someone cannot do a job they are costing them selves time and money as well as their employer.
No good going through life thinking how great you are if you are not suited to a particular career .. Much better to have that info about your self to hand to look for more suitable employment

As an aside.. What would happen to a firm that was unfortunate enough to employ nothing but duff sales folk ?
Eventually they would fold.. then what happens to the employees ?
There is no use what so ever keeping a problem from someone.. Once a person knows there is an issue they can either sort them selves out and improve by taking advise or up sticks and move to a profession they are more at home doing.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
This year we noticed the lack of knowledge at the NEC. Spoke to a few of salesman and only one seem to know what he was talking about. Got peed off and left the NEC early

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
Wait for the condemnation from other Funsters, but have you tried Brownhills at Newark, sales is good - after sales service can be iffy, but you will leave knowing what mh you really want.

Most mh salespeople rarely know as much as the person looking to buy.
Hymer gave up on them didn't they? I understand that Travelworld now has the Hymer franchise

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Hymer gave up on them didn't they? I understand that Travelworld now has the Hymer franchise
They do and their after sales service is one step beyond appalling which is why so many Hymer & N+B owners take their mh's straight to Polch in Germany. Their service is brilliant managed to get everything set up by e mail and the cost was cheaper than Travelworld

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
They do and their after sales service is one step beyond appalling which is why so many Hymer & N+B owners take their mh's straight to Polch in Germany. Their service is brilliant managed to get everything set up by e mail and the cost was cheaper than Travelworld

That's not the 1st time I've heard that said about TW When they sold only RV's the owners made the very same comments

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
service can be iffy , Its a bit more then iffy
Not totally my experience so far but must add have had no serious problems, but as they are no longer agents for Autosleeper it is unlikely we shall return unless it is to look for a new to us motorhome.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I was under the impression Brownhills had got their act together last year ? I am sure I remember some very positive posts about them on here ?

WAG2CRU

Free Member
May 31, 2012
Argyll
Funster No
MH
Hymer B654SL Star Edition
Exp
since2012

Travelworld is now one of a network of UK Hymer dealers some no doubt are better than others!

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
We bought from Lowdhams so far fine. They valued our old m/h unseen and I thought would try and change the price when they saw it but no problem......but as yet no problems with the m/h!!!

David

Jul 23, 2012
Kingswinford & 86230
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance 890
Exp
Since 2012
Traded my Rapido for a Burstner thru Travel World. Nothing but praise for the staff and the way I was treated.
Valued my Rapido over the phone, I had concerns that they would try to 'under value it' when I physically took the vehicle in, but thankfully I was wrong. The Burstener had been fully valeted and during the 'handover' I was impressed by the attention to detail.
Tim

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
A good salesman treads a very fine line between pushy and indifference. Some can talk the legs off a donkey but cannot close a deal. Am of the opinion that you cannot train a good salesman, it is something they are born with.

Box Boy

Free Member
Jul 3, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Globecar Van Conversion
Exp
Since 2010
Something from 'down south' are Dolphin Motohomes in Southampton. Purchased our used Adria from them and good service after some work needed under warranty. They even picked us up by car from the nearest rail station after travelling from Sussex! (y)

musson

Free Member
Dec 25, 2013
grantham
Funster No
MH
low profile
Exp
since Jan 2014
I agree I am on second van from Browhills (Gary Taylor)after sales is iffy buy they give good prices for trade in.

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
They have been known to run and run until someone swerves off message.

joncris

Free Member
Jan 11, 2011
Where it matters
Funster No
MH
Rimor Katamarano 12p +
Exp
We have 2 dealers nearby. The first one we visited had good reviews from other customers, apparently, the salesmen were the best in the world!
Well, they couldn't be bothered to tear themselves away from their offices long enough for us to ask a question. We had to go and find one half a dozen times before we gave up. Shame, because all their van were exceptionally well prepared.
The next dealer was great. There when needed, faded away when not. We bought our van from them and got a very good deal. Any time I visit, they are just as helpful.
Who was the good one? Choose Leisure in Canterbury.
Allan

That's probably because many glowing reviews are done by paid reviewers

Jan 13, 2014
Leeds - Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
40+
This is why companies have a management structure,if you are not satisfied go to the next level and complain.is it correct to destroy a companies reputation on an open forum because of one individual showing no interest for a period of a couple of minutes in the time he/she spent with you.

Of course if complaints to management fail they deserve all they get.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
A good salesman treads a very fine line between pushy and indifference. Some can talk the legs off a donkey but cannot close a deal. Am of the opinion that you cannot train a good salesman, it is something they are born with.
Whe we moved Down South, I had a job for the summer at a camping shop. Never worked in a shop before and we had a huge tent show ground to maintain. Luckily, I am a born talker and it was easy for me to quickly learn how to stop scaring people away and sell them what they needed. I think you need to listen to people and have a passion for what you are selling. Sadly, many salesmen have neither ability!
I remember going to a Ford main dealer many years ago when we had a windfall of cash and were going to buy 2 new cars. The salesman's attitude lost the company a couple of decent sales, we went elsewhere and spent even more money because the salesman knew his stuff.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
When I was winding down ready for retirement a friend rang me one day to ask if I could give him a day each week to help get his company off the ground which was selling air freshening machines and scented blocks to go in them. I told him I knew nothing about such things, but he was most insistent that I help. He was selling these things mainly to the pub trade, as in those days smoking was still allowed in pubs. Anyway, I thought I would give him a hand on the odd day. I went straight to the NHS hospitals and within a fortnight he had contracts to supply and maintain machines in the NHS smoking rooms of most of the hospitals in the North West. This was in the days when all hospitals had staff smoking rooms. I put the machines out on lease with supply and maintenance contracts for 3 years, much more lucrative than an outright sale. I never had formal training in anything in my life, but closing a deal came naturally to me. Thats why am of the belief that good salesmen are born, not trained.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Just adding another thought..

Men in general are not good listeners. Ask any woman and they will tell you the average man will want to talk about himself rather than what she is saying

( this is absolutely true btw.. I was told this a long while ago and sort analysed my own conversation patterns and when possible those around me and yep, lady would say ( for instance ) There is a new shop opened in town, and the reply would be along the lines of 'Really, I once opened a shop blah blah blah )

So why are there not a whole lot more women on sales teams ? It is rare to find a lady on the showroom floor yet I reckon they would, in general, do a bang up job.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
So why are there not a whole lot more women on sales teams ? It is rare to find a lady on the showroom floor yet I reckon they would, in general, do a bang up job.

They are pretty good at selling clothes shoes and handbags to Mrs A..........

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Just adding another thought..

Men in general are not good listeners. Ask any woman and they will tell you the average man will want to talk about himself rather than what she is saying

( this is absolutely true btw.. I was told this a long while ago and sort analysed my own conversation patterns and when possible those around me and yep, lady would say ( for instance ) There is a new shop opened in town, and the reply would be along the lines of 'Really, I once opened a shop blah blah blah )

Good point John, a lady friend who was very good at selling advertising space once told me that it was far more difficult selling to men than women. She told me it was something to do with there mistrust of women in general and men feel more comfortable dealing with men.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yessssss... but in a lot of households it is the woman who has the final say !!!!!!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back