Salesman (1 Viewer)

Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
Called to look at some new vans not quite sure what we want salesman not interestedLOWDHAMS]
so a wk later called in at another motorhome sales again the salesman showed no interest {DAVID FULLAR] both salesman spent less than 2 mins with us and we are cash buyers maybe they are
making to much money to be really interested

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Now I must say we had the opposite when we were looking, one wouldn't leave us alone for a minute, drove us away in the end.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
We went to our local dealer a couple of months ago just to get a feel of what we are after.

Salesman asked what we wanted and when we were looking to buy

He was helpful gave us pointers and left us to it which was just what we wanted, i don't like people hovering around me like flies.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
There's a very fine line between a salesman showing lack of interest and being overpowering ..... but it is their job to read the prospect and act accordingly. This, along with product knowledge is all part of the art of salesmanship and should be covered in training, all of which so often seems to be lacking.

normanandsue

Free Member
Dec 31, 2010
Dunfermline - Scotland
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Since 2007
Wait for the condemnation from other Funsters, but have you tried Brownhills at Newark, sales is good - after sales service can be iffy, but you will leave knowing what mh you really want.

Most mh salespeople rarely know as much as the person looking to buy.

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Called to look at some new vans not quite sure what we want salesman not interestedLOWDHAMS]
so a wk later called in at another motorhome sales again the salesman showed no interest {DAVID FULLAR] both salesman spent less than 2 mins with us and we are cash buyers maybe they are
making to much money to be really interested
Not sure it's appropriate to 'name and shame' motorhome dealer staff in an open forum

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Posted elsewhere that we called into SMC at Newark on the way back from the NEC, salesman took all my details and promised one of the directors would call me back after the show. Still waiting.

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
Not sure it's appropriate to 'name and shame' motorhome dealer staff in an open forum

Quite agree with response, we should all be aware of poor service and it's no secret the reputation that the main people in Newark have built up, or is it down, over many years.

g8ysn

Free Member
Jun 5, 2012
ng219ep
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
try oak tree leisure,mansfield they are getting a good reputation [local to lincoln] and will bive you t/coffe and biscuits, also edgehill forest town ,both local to me,

BreweryDave

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2011
Alvor, Algarve
Funster No
MH
None now!
Exp
Have to say - SMC have been very good to us so far.
Ok - I'm gonna spend a shed load with them but not till late next year and they know that - and they have an advantage as they are the only frankia dealers in the uk - but have had nothing but great service and advice and chats from
them so far. All at my pace. Answers when I want them and no pushy sales talk. Deal in a lot of high end motorhomes - I wonder if the sales technique differs between them and the larger multi- site dealers ???

Silver-Fox

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 5, 2014
Cheltenham Spa
Funster No
MH
Rapido
Exp
im a not so newbie
Have to say - SMC have been very good to us so far.
Ok - I'm gonna spend a shed load with them but not till late next year and they know that - and they have an advantage as they are the only frankia dealers in the uk - but have had nothing but great service and advice and chats from
them so far. All at my pace. Answers when I want them and no pushy sales talk. Deal in a lot of high end motorhomes - I wonder if the sales technique differs between them and the larger multi- site dealers ???

I think the product sells itself so you dont have to push it along, therefore makes for a better atmosphere and easier on both sides.

That is for any higher end product

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Yes it is.. absolutely in fact.
This sort of information is precisely why a good many join forums to start with :)

Had to grin earlier when someone said they bought a new XX was REALLY pleased with it but would not say what make the XX was..
I honestly do not see the point in the post !!

Information, information, information..
I find Fun a well balanced place to be with both good reports and reports of bad this and that
Posting it on an open forum allows other to express their thoughts and findings thereby balancing info out rather nicely

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Yes it is.. absolutely in fact.
This sort of information is precisely why a good many join forums to start with :)

Had to grin earlier when someone said they bought a new XX was REALLY pleased with it but would not say what make the XX was..
I honestly do not see the point in the post !!

Information, information, information..
I find Fun a well balanced place to be with both good reports and reports of bad this and that
Posting it on an open forum allows other to express their thoughts and findings thereby balancing info out rather nicely
I'm not against naming and shaming companies, but I don't think it's right to publish individual staff members names online. The reason being is that he/ she is just an employee, probably following company policy and rules.

rolandrat

Free Member
Jan 5, 2013
Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp

I don't see anything wrong with naming and shaming, at the end of the day motorhomes are an expensive piece of kit and dealers need to act professionally.

Allanm

Free Member
Jun 30, 2013
Cotes d'armor, France
Funster No
MH
Burstner Harmony TI 736 G
Exp
Since 1987
We have 2 dealers nearby. The first one we visited had good reviews from other customers, apparently, the salesmen were the best in the world!
Well, they couldn't be bothered to tear themselves away from their offices long enough for us to ask a question. We had to go and find one half a dozen times before we gave up. Shame, because all their van were exceptionally well prepared.
The next dealer was great. There when needed, faded away when not. We bought our van from them and got a very good deal. Any time I visit, they are just as helpful.
Who was the good one? Choose Leisure in Canterbury.
Allan

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
When I'm browsing I hate being bothered by salesmen
When I'm ready to buy - I want serving, and pronto
It must be difficult sometimes to tell the difference between a tyre kicker who's got nothing better to do than spending all afternoon chewing the cud with anyone who will listen and a customer with bundles of cash burning a hole in their pocket

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
weve just had an excellent experience with TravelWorld of Halesfield Telford.we have ordered an Arto and had very good service. Karl the salesman is excellent,not at all pushy,just gives good advice and leaves the rest to you.and even at the last minute when we changed our minds (or rather Jo did :LOL:) from an Arto 88E to an Arto88F with the larger kitchen and fixed rear island bed(y) at the NEC,Karl was straight on his laptop e-mail to Germany and the order was changed (very effeicient we thought).so its roll on March;)
Brian & Jo

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Right, my two pennoth for what it's worth as these are our local dealers.......

Once we'd decided to make the leap from caravan to mh we visited Lowdhams and got a young guy (Mike I think). We liked a Frankia and he spent ages with us demonstrating everything - even though we explained we were only researching. He said they would do a deal etc but we just didn't know enough to be able to make a decision but he was happy to give us space to look on our own too.

Fullers, next door were a different kettle of fish - they had a couple of vans that we really liked but I felt that they weren't interested. We got the impression they wanted us to make a decision there and then and weren't prepared to negotiate at all on price.

Edgehill - we would have dealt with happily but they don't normally have vans in our price range:(

Oak Tree - got mixed feelings about these as I used to visit at least once a week. They let you get on with it but we never saw anything we wanted.

CamperUK - we ended up buying from these after spending almost two whole days with them. So far so good(y)

Kimberly Caravans - I've included these as they also do mh's and if they'd have got something local to us we would've bought from them as 1 st choice. They're not far from Oak Tree and I think they're just realising their potential market. Their other branch is Darlington. Absolutely recommend 100%.

We also travelled down south a few time but after having caravans found it's so much easier having the dealer fairly local.

I think alot of it comes down to who you gel with. Personally I'd try to buy privately but oh wouldn't consider it.

Apologies for the long post.

OP
OP
abforfun
Apr 12, 2011
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Burstner ixeo t 590
Exp
4yrs
If its true why not might shake them up a little
I'm not against naming and shaming companies, but I don't think it's right to publish individual staff members names online. The reason being is that he/ she is just an employee, probably following company policy and rules.
Surely its there job to sell or advice the customer.and a company's only as good as its staff.
If he had worked for me he would hav received a good rollocking

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
I remember going to buy a brand new car , cash, Me and wifey stood in the showroom for ten + minutes whilst one salesman talked to a friend and the other sat at his desk ignoring us. We turned around went out and bought a BMW K100 bike instead, still got it thirty years later.
I will not go back to anywhere there someone who thinks I am not worth talking to.

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The person or persons are being employed to do a job.. If they are not doing that job it is better for ALL concerned, right down from the firms top man to you the customer and all in between they know there is an issue..

Now, coming to the part about publishing..
Two things.

The first is, would you ( and be honest with your self ) have confronted a sales person and said you are not being any help go find me someone who is more use ( A German, Frenchman or indeed many other nationals might do but confrontation it is simply not in the average Brits nature )

Second.
If you went to a play that had received no reviews or worse, only a review that was not fully true, how would you feel ?
In the arts world we, the common man, rely on critics.. same in the food world

In our world, the motor homing world, we have very little in the way of critics.. Yes, we have magazines but after years of dealing with many journalists in the field I worked in I know for an absolute fact what they write is not necessarily all ... errrrr... well accurate I suppose would be the kindest way of putting it.

So we ( motor homers ) rely on the thoughts, impressions and information gleaned from others experiences.. Without that info forthcoming a forum / bbs/ whatever is not much more than a place for general chit chat..
As I said before, we ( members of forums that are for all manner of things in all walks of life ) need info, info, info !!

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
With motorhome dealers, I find many will leave you to explore on your own, which is good as the last thing you need is a salesman who will usually know a lot less than you do. On the other hand if you want to buy you do need prompt service.
The worst salesman I ever came across was in a Magnet kitchen place. SWMBO had gone on her own to look for kitchens (after all she does all the cooking). The salesman more or less told her she couldn't afford any of their kitchens and couldn't be bothered with her at all. Needless to say we didn't buy from them, didn't know whether their stuff was any good as she never got as far as looking at it. May have had a lucky escape as for some time after that there was an old boy with a sandwich board outside Magnets saying something like, before you go to Magnet, ask me first.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
I agree with what John says and I would like to add my two penneth to it.
What a lot of these firms don't realise is that there are thousands and thousands of us talking to each other about them. They know they are in competition with joe bloggs up the road but they don't know you turned up on their forecourt because of brilliant reviews on here and other sites and they don't know that loads of us never darken their doorsteps because of the bad reviews.
We have traders on here that give great service and we travel long distances to visit them and spend our hard earned with them perhaps more traders need to join up and see what were saying and the bad ones may buck there ideas up?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back