Saga, Shield or Caravan Club?....You decide! (1 Viewer)

Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
We sold our 1996 Autosleeper, which was insured with Safeguard, in October, and take possession of a 2010 Bessacarr E410 in 2 weeks time. The quote from Safeguard is ridiculous...over £700! (was only £250 for the AS). After going through all the usual comparison sites/recommendations etc. we are now down to 3 quotes, all around £300 and need to decide which is the best in terms of customer service etc. The 3 quotes are from Caravan Club (Devitts), Saga, and Shield (Equity Red Star). Our existing insurance for our cars is with Saga. We don't need breakdown cover as this is covered by our bank account, but Safeguard cannot remove this apparently.
I wonder if anyone can help us decide by passing on any good or bad experiences they have had with any of these 3 insurers?
Many thanks in advance.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
We sold our 1996 Autosleeper, which was insured with Safeguard, in October, and take possession of a 2010 Bessacarr E410 in 2 weeks time. The quote from Safeguard is ridiculous...over £700! (was only £250 for the AS). After going through all the usual comparison sites/recommendations etc. we are now down to 3 quotes, all around £300 and need to decide which is the best in terms of customer service etc. The 3 quotes are from Caravan Club (Devitts), Saga, and Shield (Equity Red Star). Our existing insurance for our cars is with Saga. We don't need breakdown cover as this is covered by our bank account, but Safeguard cannot remove this apparently.
I wonder if anyone can help us decide by passing on any good or bad experiences they have had with any of these 3 insurers?
Many thanks in advance.
Always found them all too expensive. Saga was reasonable IF I continued my car with them but dearer otherwise. I've used Alan Blundell for many years and they beat everyone and got great cover.

Reactions: f6c
Jan 27, 2014
mid wales
Funster No
MH
carthago chic i51.
Exp
We use cc they gave me a good renewal quote when we changed vans but always get other quotes just to check.
I do find them convenient and efficient .

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We have had to make claims with Safeguard and they were great ... if the price is similar and you'll get breakdown free then why not go with them if they'll price match. The benefit of this is that if you decide to change your bank account you will still have breakdown cover.

First thing though is to read the small print as they all have differences so ultimately find the one that meets your needs best, lowest excess etc, and then decide.

OP
OP
Momac
Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
We have had to make claims with Safeguard and they were great ... if the price is similar and you'll get breakdown free then why not go with them if they'll price match. The benefit of this is that if you decide to change your bank account you will still have breakdown cover.

First thing though is to read the small print as they all have differences so ultimately find the one that meets your needs best, lowest excess etc, and then decide.

We are not even considering Safeguard....we can't afford £700! Our choice, we feel, is between CC, Saga, and Shield. Yes, you are right, there are small differences between them...we just wanted a second opinion from anyone who has had any experience, good or bad, with any of these.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We are not even considering Safeguard....we can't afford £700! Our choice, we feel, is between CC, Saga, and Shield. Yes, you are right, there are small differences between them...we just wanted a second opinion from anyone who has had any experience, good or bad, with any of these.
Have you gone back to Safeguard though and redone the quote? ... they DO recheck and sometimes find ways to reduce it ... worth a try.

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
A lot of "bank/credit card" inclusive breakdown deals won't cover a vehicle as big as a motorhome.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
A lot of "bank/credit card" inclusive breakdown deals won't cover a vehicle as big as a motorhome.
I was wondering that too but we don't have an account with it so haven't checked.

OP
OP
Momac
Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
Nationwide FlexPlus....they also include travel insurance. We have checked....and double checked! As long as the MH is shorter than 8metres.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Nationwide FlexPlus....they also include travel insurance. We have checked....and double checked! As long as the MH is shorter than 8metres.
Is that the account they've not closed to new customers?

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Is that the account they've not closed to new customers?
Still on their website:

Link Removed

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Still on their website:

Link Removed
Yes it's a matter of weighing up the advantages and disadvantages. I get about £30.00 per month for my balance after paying £5.00 charge. So that's £360 difference. Probably a little less because they pay 3% on balance up to only about £3000 so, I would still be better off and paying for travel and breakdown insurance but I can see the advantages if I had lower amount. Trying to weigh up whether to have both and could I be bothered transferring minimum amount and standing orders. I'll have a think though. Thank you

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes it's a matter of weighing up the advantages and disadvantages. I get about £30.00 per month for my balance after paying £5.00 charge. So that's £360 difference. Probably a little less because they pay 3% on balance up to only about £3000 so, I would still be better off and paying for travel and breakdown insurance but I can see the advantages if I had lower amount. Trying to weigh up whether to have both and could I be bothered transferring minimum amount and standing orders. I'll have a think though. Thank you
You're with Santander then!

If you ignore the cashback, if you have £20k in you get £25 max interest a month on your money after deduction of the £5 fee which works out at 1.2%!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
You're with Santander then!

If you ignore the cashback, if you have £20k in you get £25 max interest a month on your money after deduction of the £5 fee which works out at 1.2%!
Yes plus %'s on direct debits. It worked out just over £30 last month and obviously it's dropped because of November decrease. Was over £50 then

Feb 13, 2013
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Rapido 881F
Exp
Since 2015
I am with CC because they are less restrictive when it comes to leaving the motorhome unattended. As minxy girl said check the small print and decide what suits your criteria. One of the policies I was quoted for only allowed 36 hours unattended occupancy out side of its secure storage which doesn't work for us so in to the bin it went!

Current cost for an 18 month Rapido 881Fis about £250.00 with CC (6000 miles annual mileage) - they cocked the renewal up so reduced it from £290.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
The only trouble is, that's your quote and I think as we've found out, every one has variables. Type of Moho, mileage, residential area etc.
Absolutely right. ! As you say so many variables...however this was over £130 cheaper than the quote from safeguard..no brainer for me..

Jul 10, 2016
hucknall
Funster No
MH
Swift bolero 712sb
Exp
10 years
from our own experience saga are great in the uk but verging on useless when venturing into europe, had occasion to use them 3 times in 4 years not once did they perform an adequate service

OP
OP
Momac
Jun 8, 2015
Honiton,Devon
Funster No
MH
Bessacar E410
Exp
Since 2014
from our own experience saga are great in the uk but verging on useless when venturing into europe, had occasion to use them 3 times in 4 years not once did they perform an adequate service
This is very helpful.....just the sort of comment I was looking for. Bad news for Saga though!

Reactions: f6c

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back