SAGA £50 to cancel a policy - wont be getting my MH insurance business

Discussion in 'Motorhome Insurance General Discussion' started by MichaelT, Mar 14, 2016.

1. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

We recently sold my tow car ready for the new M/H arriving in May so I cancelled the insurance. Just got a letter saying I Owe them £50 cancellation fee. What a total rip off, the agent I spoke to said although the original amount was less when I first took the policy out it is clearly stated in the renewal notice.

So when looking for my M/H insurance SAGA wont be getting a chance to quote, total shysters.

2. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Almost every insurance will charge for cancelation........... choose your victim ;)

3. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

But £50 I understand there is some admin work involved but 2 minutes on the phone, ticking a box on the screen and saying is htere anything else I can help you with!

• Like Like x 2
  4. canopus

canopus Funster Life Member

Tell them to whistle :whistle:. Phone them and tell them they are taking the pi$$. Ask for a supervisor and point out that you will post your feelings on every forum going. They may well rescind their outrageous fee. :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. chaser

chaser Funster

Don't think Nfu do, I can't recall being charged anything

• Like Like x 1
  6. DavidG58

DavidG58 Funster

My guess it is normally wrapped up (hidden / lost) in any refund given, presuming the premium has been paid for the full year in advance, if the year was only part way through you would expect a refund, or at least enough to cover the cancellation fee

7. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

I had same argument with Saga a couple of years ago.

I changed my car this year just 3 weeks before insurance renewal was due with Esure. I was happy to stay with them but they tried to charge me £26 cancellation fee. I pointed out that I'd paid for the year on the old car, just let it run its course & I'll pay new cars insurance. No, still wanted £26 to cancel as I wouldn't own old car for the next 3 weeks. Said I'd walk and the cancellation fee disappeared. Next day I received 4 envelopes with different insurance documents in each, 2 for each car. The following day 5 envelopes arrived, again various documents, different cars , different dates.

• Thanks Thanks x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Its standard that a charge is made when you cancel and it varies from one company to another.

9. mike mcglynn

mike mcglynn Funster Life Member

Re.Saga Insurance they want to charge me an extra ten quid for the priveliege of renewing my insurance with them,I think not :LOL:

10. davanne

davanne Funster

This morning I received two envelopes from saga both offering house insurance which is due next month one quote £207 the other £238
    They are also bombarding me with offers of motorhome insurance even though I have told the not to send me any more letters.

11. f6c

f6c Funster

Cheeky buggers.

12. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

Well, when I sold my van last week and recommended Safeguard to the new owner, I rang them to cancel the insurance (less than a month remaining) and they waived the £25.00 cancellation fee as a thank you (y)

13. Chockswahay

Chockswahay Funster

@MichaelT The harsh truth is that when you took on the insurance you entered into a contract, and that included any cancellation fees.....

14. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Yes I agree but the amount of £50 is outrageous and as the agent said when I took out the policy it was much less but it is stated in each renewal which of course no one reads, something like £25 would be more palatable.

15. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I once called to cancel and was also quoted a charge. I said to just let it run out then.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

@MichaelT - Am I understanding correctly - you paid premium in full for 12 moths over and they are charging £50 to cancel early?

17. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

I paid quarterly installments so had paid 9 months and cancelled just before the 9 months were up so in effect was paid up to date, in fact they owed me a few pounds. I guess if I had paid in full they would have refunded 3 months less the £50.

18. Charlie

Charlie Funster

Saga ? Isn't that for old uns ?? :)

• Like Like x 1
  19. Diesel

Diesel Read Only Funster

Ah right I understand ......pretty much standard practice and reasonable really IMO - I worked in a brokers many years ago - back in the day of handwritten cover notes ;) Regardless of what instalment agreement you set up with a broker the insurer charges the broker the full premium less any broker commission, cancellation is then on a sliding short period rates - most insurers would issue refund on a similar scales :

11 months remaining - 70pc refund

tapering to zero refund with 4 or fewer months remaining.

A pro-rata refund would usually be given if an insurer could not or chose not to cover a car you purchased.

20. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

I was not with a broker but direct with them so I don't see your argument.