Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
We arrived at a small rural site in Ireland yesterday, there are 16 pitches, arranged roughly in a large circle, and the place was empty when we got here. Since then, a caravan and two other motorhomes have arrived, and occupied the two pitches immediately to our left, and the one immediately to our right.

I don't really mind one way or the other, so long as they are not noisy, but it seems rather odd to me. We always try to park as far away from others as possible, but we are antisocial gits. Perhaps it's just the Irish being friendly, and as we have found, they are very friendly indeed.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Same all over. Some form of magnetism.

I can remember parking in a French supermarket, well out of the way because of taking up one and a half slots, nothing round us so not inconveniencing anyone. We return and a frog either side of us, we could just about open the hab door to load up.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
I agree - I never have understood people who do that.

We stopped in a large countryside site in Spain and were the only people there. Some spanish bikers arrived and set their tent up right by the back door of our motorhome. Literally within five feet of the blinking doors.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Must admit we do it, always think it keeps things straight, if you park away and a lot more come how do you know how they will fit in if there are no markings.

swanseajack13

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 19, 2013
Swansea
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
3 years
:drink:the IRISH are great people thanks to my father-in-law I have my wife ray xx lol still lol no taking the MICK :drink:

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Ah! They may be loud, but they may have whisky, always worth keeping on their good side, they may offer you some! :D
Sacrilege!!!
Whiskey not Whisky.
irish-whiskey-bottles-collection.jpg

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
Not a problem. You aren't a pillock. What's an E between friends? I meant the letter not the pill.
Now I am just being anal, perhaps to be absolutely correct, it should be:
uisce beatha (which I found on google translate), although I seem to remember being told something different be an old Irish friend, I can't find the way he spelled it for the life of me!

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Now I am just being anal, perhaps to be absolutely correct, it should be:
uisce beatha (which I found on google translate), although I seem to remember being told something different be an old Irish friend, I can't find the way he spelled it for the life of me!
Yeah, come up to our pub and ask for that!!!!:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Pia

Free Member
Jan 16, 2017
staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Adria Coral Supreme 680ST
Exp
We always try to park as far away from others as possible, but we are antisocial gits. Perhaps it's just the Irish being friendly, and as we have found, they are very friendly indeed.
Same here.....don't understand why prople do that...maybe they feel safer???

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
We find (refering to a post from last week) that a large spray of Pampas Grass attached to the wing mirrors ensures we get plenty of people parking very close to us ! :LOL:

cornish boy

Free Member
Jul 24, 2016
Body in Hampshire, heart in Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon Tiki 669.
Exp
not so newbie anymore - since 2016
I have no idea why Mrs Cornish Boy will pull into a supermarket car park with 100's of empty spaces and promptly reverses her car into a space between two others. o_O

I have learnt it is far less painful to just keep quiet rather than try and suggest parking elsewhere! :)

May 7, 2011
Cornwall Gorran Haven
Funster No
MH
T Line 785
Exp
motorhoming since 1979
As Brian ,@hilldweller , said we had similar , we parked in our then nearly new VW while in France ,can't remember where, we parked in the middle of a large car park , no other cars in the c.park & as we walked away a french driver drove in quickly parked right along side my van.No problem until we got back to the VW sometime later noticed our first dent (slight line indentation along lower sill) on the same side of of VW that he'd parked. He must have driven off on full lock scraping his bumper on my sill. Nobody about , still no other cars in the park.

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
The caravanner would most likely have that but the two motorhomers, remember, are cultured so they would have Whisky!:whistle::whistle:
Possibly as I've never tried Irish Whiskey but some American Whiskeys are pretty popular these days but I still prefer Whisky when, on rare occasions, I partake.

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Many years ago I hired a French registered Camper and I remember pulling into a very large car-park that was virtually empty. There was however one solitary British Registered almost new VW right in the middle, so I thought there's safety in numbers, I'll park next to it. Well I wasn't used to the size of this thing and I must have run my bumper all along his sill.

As soon as I saw the coast was clear I beggared off to another Town altogether.

.............................................................:wink:........ all right Tel

magicsurfbus

Free Member
Oct 11, 2010
NW England
Funster No
MH
Bessacarr Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1997
The Kn*bhead Magnet Effect is a curious one isn't it? We've had that in supermarket car parks - park well away from everyone else and return with a full trolley to find the hab door blocked. It's like an art form trying to avoid it with creative parking methods.

It's the complete reverse of how men occupy empty urinals.

On aires most people leave an empty bay to begin with but by evening when the latecomers arrive you're taking it in turns to open windows at the busier spots..

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Happened to me once on a huge winter site in the alps, site was empty as it was summer and it was really just a huge field, must have been 20 acres you could hardly see the other side. We'd been there about 20 mins when a French motorhome arrived and parked within 6ft of us. I pointedly moved to the far side of the field, at least he didn't follow us.
Many times we have parked in a largely empty supermarket carpark and some blighter has parked right up to our hab door. On one occasion SWMBO was still there and let rip at the young French chap. She speaks no French but I think he got the message, he moved down the other end of the car park and will probably avoid the British in future.:D

OP
OP
klaatu

klaatu

Free Member
Aug 10, 2013
Vienne, France
Funster No
MH
Globecar Summit 640
Exp
Since 2014
Another caravan has arrived. British. They have pitched... on the opposite side of the site!

Doctor Dave

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
7 years followed by a break of 11 years and then 4+ years but given up now
Sacrilege!!!
Whiskey not Whisky.
View attachment 149561

I used to like Manx whisky (not called whisky though but ManX spirit) but I understand that it is no longer made. It was re-distilled scotch whisky and as clear as the water that comes from my Seagull IV filter system.

Dave

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Come on guys, it's not just the French!

Have you ever parked in Spain or in a German car park/supermarket?

Three years ago, on the outskirts of Cologne, we parked in a supermarket car park, with no-one near us. When we returned from shopping a German m/h had parked so tight up to us that we couldn't even deploy the step, never mind try to open the hab door. We had to enter via the cab. There were still five spaces to his left and eight to our right! Duh!

Huwmari

Free Member
Jul 26, 2013
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 201
Exp
since Apr 2013
Ah! They may be loud, but they may have whisky, always worth keeping on their good side, they may offer you some! :D
Not to mention the poteen! We were given some from a "lemonade" bottle by our friendly Irish neighbours when parked on a site in County Mayo. Fearsome stuff!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back