Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi, we have just bought our first MH and it hasn't got a fire extinguisher. Which kind should I buy ? A regular travel one or a dry powder?

I have fitted 2 carbon monoxide alarms and a smoke alarm. What other safety devices if any do I need?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi.. I know the common types carried are the dry powder and co2,but if you can get an afff foam or equivalent. .. In my opinion a far better choice.. its applied in a spray nota thick foam blanket and has far better cooling effect... not so messy as dry powder either...
Something like this....
View attachment 67718
See posts #27 & #28.

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
I'm sure some of the afff foam extinguishers used to carry a class A B and C rating... I know I've been out of it for a while but that used to be the case... It was applied as a very fine spray..
In any case if live electrics are involved it's better to isolate the supply anyway ..
Ta andy

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
In any case if live electrics are involved it's better to isolate the supply anyway ..
Ta andy

If you can do so always isolate the electric supply - not always possible of course if you are using the extinguisher to make an escape route.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
But in the heat (no pun) of the moment its the last thing on your mind.
too late when you start spraying and begin the electricians twitch.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
On the "triangle" side , I have just read that the law doesn't apply if you are on a 4 lanes or on a motorway as long as your vehicle is on the emergency lane, not sticking out on the road. In this case warning lights on, safety jacket , and go behind the ramp!

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
But in the heat (no pun) of the moment its the last thing on your mind.
too late when you start spraying and begin the electricians twitch.

Haha.. yes very true but as I said above certain types of afff foams were ok on live electrics..I've copied a little extract from a quick Google. ...

''For example, standard water extinguishers should not be used on electricity. However, foam and dry water mist extinguishers, though water based, can be safely used on electrical fires''
It goes on to qualify the remark by stating what voltage test it has to satisfy before been approved for such use..

And that's what I remember from my fb days...
The afff in spray or mist form is a very good extinguisher and I'd rather have one of them about than any of the others...
With regards to halon which I don't think are acceptable now but not sure then yes they do break down at high temperatures into some horrible stuff but as long as you are not in an enclosed space there should not be a problem using them..

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001
And if you have an electrical fire ??????

Foam is no good on electrical fires....it conducts electric and you may as well use halon....both can kill you..
dry powder can be used on almost all fires.

Not true

quote,

Foam Fire Extinguishers, also called AFFF FOAM (Aqueous Film Forming Foam) create a smothering film of foam over the fire, which starves the fire of oxygen. The foam also penetrates porous materials and cools the fire through evaporation of the water content in the foam. As the foam creates a foam carpet on burning liquids like petrol, foam extinguishers are also suitable for flammable liquids and areas where man-made fibres in soft furnishings and carpets might liquidise under the influence of heat. Foam extinguishers are safe for use with electrical equipment if they had a successful dielectric test and are used at a safety distance of 1 meter. The electrical equipment will of course be damaged by the liquid.

source

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/extinguishers

not sure you thought your statement through, foam is perfect and with 2 litres you stand a chance
I have discharged a small dry power in anger,........forget it, just run away

I had to fight a car fire last year, we discharged 2 large foam and one CO2 courtesy of a nearby TESCO [every little helped(y)]
we saved the car, won't have bothered with dry powder

I am trained to use halon, but its use is strictly regulated. I have inhaled halon, over 25 years ago, I still remember the event, you need to be wearing PBE [breathing equipment]

And no, I'm not a fire person :)

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back