Babyell

Free Member
Jun 23, 2015
Manchester
Funster No
MH
Benimar Anthus
Exp
Hi, we have just bought our first MH and it hasn't got a fire extinguisher. Which kind should I buy ? A regular travel one or a dry powder?

I have fitted 2 carbon monoxide alarms and a smoke alarm. What other safety devices if any do I need?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
At least one 2kg dry power..

I carry two, one at the hab door and one at the drivers cab door ..

also a fire blanket..

If going abroad, High Viz vest for each passenger.. 2 x warning tri-angles and a first aid box.. Compulsory in France..

which are of course also useful in the UK

Last edited:
Upvote 0

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
Our dealer fitted a dry powder extinguisher, I'm "assuming" (hoping) they know which one is best.
I have a fire blanket as well as an extinguisher.

More experienced m/h'ers will be along soon with more ideas - which I'm sure I'll take advantage of too!

See - @ScotJimland is there already!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
We have fire extinguishers in the driver door, by the hab door and in the kitchen area (fittings for the last two were in when we bought it). We also have a fire blanket.

I fitted smoke/CO alarm as it wasn't compulsory when it was built.

Some people pooh pooh the idea but one of the C&CC rally rules is to have a bucket of water by the van. It might seem ineffective but there was a story a week or two ago about use of buckets helping stop a fire from spreading.

Rule 1 with fires, though, is get out and then only tackle it if competent otherwise stay away.

As Jim said, high viz vests and warning triangles are required in some countries but take care in use. I believe use of warning triangles is not recommended on motorways in the UK, for instance.

Upvote 0

Eeyore

Free Member
Oct 28, 2010
Funster No
A reliable torch with a good beam, carried somewhere where you can get at it easily in the dark!

I would also suggest a plug in polarity tester. Not only does it tell you if your polarity is reversed but also if the EHU has an earth or not.

Upvote 0
Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
If you do have a powder extuinguisher be aware that they settle and become a solid over time. I believe you need to periodically take them out and shake them upside etc.

I had one and tested it and it just gasped and didn't nothing else.

I now carry a CO2 extinguisher.

http://www.fireservice.co.uk/safety/extinguishers

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
If you do have a powder extuinguisher be aware that they settle and become a solid over time. I believe you need to periodically take them out and shake them upside etc.

absolutely correct.. dry powder can compact with the vibration in a vehicle.. the fixed dry powder systems were removed from off shore installations for this very reason.. and replaced with water deluge systems.

In saying that, I replaced two 2kg dry power as the date on both was 2002..

took them to the garden to test and both fired off no problem.. but it's better to be safe than sorry

CO2 is not good if you are in an enclosed space when you set it off.. CO2, while non toxic will suffocate you . . I had a very bad experience with it in a generator enclosure when a fixed CO2 system was set off accidentally.. I almost died..

It's ideal for under bonnet fuel fires when you can fire it through the radiator grill.. I would advise you buy another dry powder for the hab area. ..

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Why two warning triangles?

Warning Triangles - You will need to carry 2 x warning triangles when driving in France warning triangle must be placed 50 & 150 metres behind your vehicle to warn approaching traffic if your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident. Hazard warning lights alone are not sufficient.

More info here
http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm

Upvote 0

Poohbear

Free Member
May 18, 2015
Worcester
Funster No
MH
Swift Lifestlye 644
Exp
June 2015
That seems to be the only site that mentions two triangles. All the usual ones AA, RAC etc all just say that a warning triangle is required, no mentions of two.

Upvote 0

StefAndDi

Free Member
Nov 3, 2014
Near St. Austell, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ceased motorhoming 1/3/16
Exp
2010 to 2016
We have combined fire and CO alarms in the living area and the bedroom. Two fire extinguishers, one inside the hab' door (offside) and one on the nearside inside the garage door.
Stef.

Upvote 0

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
Warning Triangles - You will need to carry 2 x warning triangles when driving in France warning triangle must be placed 50 & 150 metres behind your vehicle to warn approaching traffic if your vehicle breaks down or is involved in an accident. Hazard warning lights alone are not sufficient.

More info here
http://www.vendee-guide.co.uk/driving-in-france.htm

That seems to be the only site that mentions two triangles. All the usual ones AA, RAC etc all just say that a warning triangle is required, no mentions of two.

I don't know if @ScotJimland has it right or wrong for France but I can tell you that you need 2 in Spain, whatever the RAC and the AA may say.

Upvote 0

Gin Palace

Free Member
Apr 30, 2015
Cambridge
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
Newbie!
I
New law for Spain now to carry 2 warning triangles France still one.

Upvote 0

Billy23

Free Member
Feb 10, 2012
On a planet...far, ....far away.
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
On and off 1995
I

New law for Spain now to carry 2 warning triangles France still one.

It is not a new law, it has been in place for years, well the 14 years I have owned my house, from the first day I have had to have 2 in my Spanish car and the last few years in MH.

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Two are compulsory for nationals, visitors only need one.
the recommended distance is BETWEEN 50mts and 150mtrs behind the disabled vehicle....not one at each measurement.

In the same way all national vehicles must have matching brand and age tyres....damage one tyre, replace both on the same axle....even if its as new.
cant expect a uk visitor to have a set of matching new tyres fitted when visiting france.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
In the same way all national vehicles must have matching brand and age tyres....damage one tyre, replace both on the same axle....even if its as new.
I hate to say it, but I've always done that anyway, if one tyre gets damaged, the other one on the axle is also replaced. Maybe I am a bit anoracky, but the tyres are the bit that connect me to the road, so I don't take chances with them.

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I hate to say it, but I've always done that anyway, if one tyre gets damaged, the other one on the axle is also replaced. Maybe I am a bit anoracky, but the tyres are the bit that connect me to the road, so I don't take chances with them.

Same here. The nice man who services my car and the other nice man who does the motorhome service both know that I consider brakes and tyres are top priority :) and if they need doing to do it, no need to ask permission.

Upvote 0
Aug 10, 2012
cambridge
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
since2001

I carry a 2 litre foam extinguisher, dry power is EVIL :sick: if you discharge it, foam is just a mess:cool:

Upvote 0

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
I used to be a fire officer in a paint factory (many years ago). One of the "perks" of the extra duties was training in how to use fire extinguishers.... not as easy as one would think and each type of extinguisher needs a different technique :)

Upvote 0

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
I carry a 2 litre foam extinguisher, dry power is EVIL :sick: if you discharge it, foam is just a mess:cool:
And if you have an electrical fire ??????

Foam is no good on electrical fires....it conducts electric and you may as well use halon....both can kill you..
dry powder can be used on almost all fires.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang

not good for electrical fires.. :eek:
Dry power may be messy but it's the safest to use around a motorhome that is maybe plugged into an EHU

Upvote 0

andy63

Free Member
Jan 19, 2014
south shields
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
since 1990
extinguisher. Which kind should I buy

Hi.. I know the common types carried are the dry powder and co2,but if you can get an afff foam or equivalent. .. In my opinion a far better choice.. its applied in a spray nota thick foam blanket and has far better cooling effect... not so messy as dry powder either...
Something like this....
20150625_173010.jpg

Upvote 0
Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
maybe the French site has it wrong..

ask Frankie , @yodeli maybe she will know

Well , the law says 2 at 2 different distances from the vehicle as you mentioned it Jim . But TBH , very few people carry 2! I .... for once , do carry 2! Not because it's the law but because it is more sensible especially if your breakdown happens in a bent. If it 's in the mountains then no room to hide/escape the traffic. You then can really warn people coming your way with 2 triangles! Just my opinion....

Last edited:
Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back