Safefill

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by con-tiki, Apr 3, 2012.

1. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

2. slobadoberbob

slobadoberbob Read Only Funster

Read it and still non the wiser

I looked at the site and I am still non the wiser:Sad: it may be it is before I have had my second cup of tea or my breakfast.

What makes this unit any different to others? is it the auto shut off when it gets to 80 % full? or the fact you can see how much LPG gas is left in the bottle?

Have a main LPG tank on my RV I am used to filling up in a garage which I do and also in europe with no issues. This just seems to be an expensive bottle with a valve that a normal LPG fits.. not cheap....

May be of use if I could fill one and them dump back to my main LPG tank while say in Spain, but as a main tank! got my concerns.

Bob

3. GJH

GJH Funster Life Member

I looked at them but decided against because of bottle size. In our previous van we could just fit two Calor 6Kg bottles in the locker. The larger size of the Safefill bottles meant we would only have been able to fit one and its capacity may have been too low for a stay of several days if the weather had been bad/cold.

The current van has enough space for two Safefill bottles but we decided to have a single Alugas (only slightly taller, smaller diameter and higher capacity) fitted with a proper, fixed, fill point on the side of the van.

4. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

So your answer is No.

5. bobandjanie

bobandjanie Funster Life Member

Hi, in resent years a few companies have sold these bottles, I saw this company last year at a show or two :Smile: and I would say going from experience that you will have problems filling this type of bottle at some garages, I say some not all.

We have had refillable bottles for 5 years, starting with Gaslow, and then changing to Alugas, the main reason for changing was they weigh half as much as the steel bottles. :thumb:

But all bottles have an 80% cut off valve, and I have always had an external filler. :BigGrin:

I have removed the handles and fixed the the bottles, and never had a problem, in the old eastern Germany a couple of years ago, before you got any gas they came and checked what you were filling before they turned the pump on, and most of the time filled for you.:BigGrin:

I can see you walking around the pump with one of those bottles and being refused.

:Smile: Bob.

Attached Files:

6. slobadoberbob

yes that is right

no lawyer uses one would when two hundred says the same thing:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

bob:Blush:

• Like Like x 1
  7. callumwa

callumwa Read Only Funster

True.......

One word = £10

Two Hundred Words = £2000

or just put it in a letter for £350 + VAT......:RollEyes:

and at the end of the day you still lose, lawyers win.....:whistle::whistle:

• Like Like x 2
  8. bigfoot

bigfoot Funster

With all the issues over filling gas bottles has got me wondering,how and where do balloonists fill their propane tanks?

9. darklord

darklord Read Only Funster

I saw them at Newark, I was not impressed by the mob selling them, so i didnt buy. Some potential buyers brought up potential issue of opening a locker door to fill, and whether that may be a problem, as i didnt buy, it wont be a problem for me.:BigGrin:

10. Red Dragon

Red Dragon Funster

Hi Shirl
    I too had a good look at this system at one of the shows,but thought there was to many issues regarding filling even though they are fitted with the 80% cut-off valve,as others have already said.
    In the end I went for the Alugas system with external filler fitted by Dave Newell:thumb:
    IMO pound for pound a much better set-up.
    Steve.

• Like Like x 3
  11. Reallyretired

Reallyretired Funster

Even their own web site says many garages will refuse them, which is totally understandable, as it just looks like filling an ordinary gas bottle.
    They have no facility for an external filler on the van so I would say they are pretty nearly useless.:Sad:

12. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

Thanks everyone for your input. I was concerned that there would be problems filling them. Even if you found a garage that would allow you to fill it, there still would be problems keeping the bottle upright, while you press the gas button (2 person job ?). All the input I found on these bottles were mainly from the caravan fraternity.

Shirl

13. slobadoberbob

remember we charge in 6 minute blocks

Remember we charge in 6 minute blocks of time.. go to the 7th minute and you get charged for 12 minutes.

The more words the bigger the bill.... in matrimonial cases both lawyers win....

Bob:Blush:

14. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

And like politicians they never answer a question...

15. motomike

motomike Read Only Funster

Supposedly the issue of refilling is becoming less of a problem as more garages are allowing the user to use their pumps. The website has a PDF file listing the garages to use.
    Still unsure though...will look into the alternatives.
    MM

16. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

i have to open my locker door to fill my gaslow bottle as the filler is mounted inside , i have never been stopped filling the bottle at any garage i use, the benefit i see with this bottle is i would be able to take it to the garage in my car to refill and not have to drive the motorhome there

17. simonbartlett

simonbartlett Read Only Funster

I purchased one of these bottles . First one leaked!! Second had a sticky valve. I am now on my third so I hope I have more luck with this one.

18. aba

aba

best alternative is an 80 litre fixed tank and external filler if you have the room underneath.

which i wish i had fitted instead of the gaslow.

but as they say hind sight is perfect foresight.

19. con-tiki

con-tiki Funster

In the end I had an underslung gas tank fitted...

Shirl

20. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

That's a new one on me.

Grand idea but I suspect most places won't let you fill up because they think you are one of the masses trying to kill themselves.

• Like Like x 1