Safe position

Discussion in 'Motorhome Security' started by Tony H, Mar 28, 2015.

1. Tony H

Tony H Read Only Funster

Hi all,
    This is our first motorhome and are a bit nevous about traveling to Europe is it as bad as you read?
    We are sorting an alarm out and was wondering where the best place is to fit a safe, has anyone any ideas?

2. chaser

chaser Funster

No just go

3. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

We go to Europe yet we have no alarm, but your insurance company may insist, some do but if you feel safer having an alarm then of course go ahead. When it goes off by accident on the ferry or when you aren't there on a campsite or aire don't blame me! :)

As to Europe being dangerous I really wouldn't agree. Some places like Germany are a lot safer than many parts of the UK. There have been scare stories about motorway hijackings but I am not sure this is a problem any more and if someone does try to flag you down, pointing to a possible fault on your vehicle, keeping going until you find somewhere where there are lots of people before stopping.

You are much more likely to be robbed while walking around on foot, touristy places attract pickpockets and some cities like Lisbon have a bad reputation, but I have seen people lose their wallets in Heathrow, so it can happen anywhere.

Impossible to say about a safe position as it depends very much on what is available on your MH. On ours it lives under one of the swivelling seats behind a drop down cover. Inside a wardrobe might be an alternative. I wouldn't put one in say a garage as people can see you accessing it from outside.

You are not a million miles from Dave Newell and I am sure he could advise on the best place for your vehicle if you asked him.

And Welcome! A safe first post, not at all alarming. :)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2015
  4. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Hi from Devon …safe ? Somewhere that is hard for you to access, so much harder for someone in a hurry ;)

welcome-group.gif

• Like Like x 2
  5. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Put in a 'gas' sensor, I've read about thieves pumping gas into motor homes to knock out the occupants so they can enter and steal things! :rolleyes:

KH

PS This is a joke!

• Like Like x 4
  6. brynric

brynric Funster

When our children lived at home we caravannedin the UK. Now we're retired and the kids have gone we've spent several months over the last 3 years on the continent. The only place we've been robbed is in England.
    There's lots of stories but if you're sensible there are few real problems. We find the roads quieter, sites easier to find and generally a more relaxed experience.

7. Tony H

Tony H Read Only Funster

Think we're worrying over nothing!
    Let's hope my dogs protects us.
    Thanks

8. Phill D

Phill D

there is no more risk travelling through main parts of Europe ( France , Germany, Span etc ) than in UK. common sense is required wherever you travel.

as for the info on gassing ; its complete cr*p,

if you intend using sites you have little to worry about. if you intend free parking overnight on motorway service / stop off areas then there is more risk ( but probably no more than parts of UK ).

Common sense is as good as an Alarm. that said we have an alarm fitted to our van. we also travel with our dog and in the years we have been travelling with both motorhome and caravan we have never as yet had the misfortune to have our van or US tampered with.

you will enjoy it; plan; prepare and Pushoff to Europe.:LOL:

we are off again end of May. cant wait(y)

9. sdc77

sdc77 Funster

10. Phill D

Phill D

there are lots of threads to search through on Site guides ( ACSI ) best money cards, tolls, sat navs, etc.

good buy is Jims book on security from his shop.

11. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

Frankly we feel safer in Europe than we do in UK (y)
    BTW when you decide on location of safe be sure to post info on here,along with destinations,dates and make and Reg No of vehicle,also how much cash will be in there.
    Looking fwd to meeting up with you soon :LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

• Like Like x 1
  12. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Oh that's cruel. :)

• Like Like x 1
  13. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Dogs are the best alarm there is I think, but of course the dog has to be in the vehicle at the time. Our ancient Jack Russel stays in the vehicle all the time apart for a 10 foot totter to inspect the nearest bush occasionally. Just don't tell the thieves he is deaf. ;)

14. tick59

tick59 Funster

Glad you said that with a pinch of salt it's a load of B****KS. fun!!!fun!!! fun!!!

15. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Don't worry.
    I lived in France, on my own, for about 6 years. The house was huge, 11+ rooms over 3 floors and a couple of times I found not only had I not locked the front door at night, I'd left it propped open all night.

I camped at a lake, the only vehicle there, same in a forest, and wild camped on my way to the ferry.
    Never had a problem, never even been scared or worried.
    Lock the doors, fit a safe if that makes you feel more secure, and carry a cheap attack alarm. Nothing like a few hundred decibels blasting to chase anyone off.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Carol

Carol Funster Life Member

Welcome to Fun, enjoy your motorhome and the travelling you do in it, read the forum lots of advice, try avoiding sleeping on Motorway Aires , there are lots of others with a little planning any questions just ask :welc:

17. Tony H

Tony H Read Only Funster

Think I might just take my Oozy 9mm just in case!!

• Like Like x 2
  18. laneside

laneside Funster

What you read about dangers is crap you will be far safer over this side of the Channel than you are in Leicester, the people are civilised here in comparison.

OK so there are crime hotspots near to odd big cities but who the heck needs to park near big cities or even go near them. I can promise you that your house when you are away will be far more at risk than you will be

19. WillH

WillH Funster

We've traveled in France for years, both in a motorhome and before that a caravan. Never had any bother at all. Got stuck in the mud on one site a few years ago and got pushed out by a bunch of the local Hell's Angels. They even refused some cash for a beer! Been on another site when a bunch of bikers arrived who partied till precisely 11:00 p.m. and then all quiet. In the morning two of them stayed behind to collect all the rubbish and fag ends they'd left. No problem.

Just pack an atlas and site book and set off.

20. Photo4x4

Photo4x4 Funster

Yes, I agree - did you read the small print? :)

KH

• Like Like x 2