Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Is it safe to trickle charge a battery that is still in situ, or is it best practice to remove it for charging?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Perfectly safe
ensure good ventilation, if thats not possible,remove battery
Geo

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim

After your last trouble I presume it's the starter battery you intend to keep charged while in storage ? perfectly safe to leave in situ if you use a decent 3 or 4 stage charger.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

G

GeorgeTelford

Deleted User
Hi Jim

Is it safe to trickle charge a battery that is still in situ, or is it best practice to remove it for charging?

The answer (I believe) is in two parts.

1. Yes it is very safe to trickle charge in situ, zigs have done this for years in campers and caravans, but any process which forms an explosive gas cannot be 100% safe.

2. Yes it is best practice to remove a battery for charging (but probably not actually safer, in fact it may actually expose you to more danger's, consider the risk of short when tightening or removing leads etc...)

There are many other considerations, if you factor in Engine management, resetting clocks, radio etc....

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Coach, seeLink Removed

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
OK Now I understand. Right first things first, I wonderd if you would be good enough to undertake a product evaluation on behalf of Van Bitz? :thumb:

We have an excellent product which we have sold thousands of, over the last 15 years or so that we desperately need feedback on:winky: If I send it to the :winky:usual:winky:address would that be ok? We will depsatch one today.

I would always recommend that the coach battery be disconnected prior to using a 220 volt charger. I would not bother on my own vehicle to be honest, but always recommend it when asked for advice. We have had extremely expensive battery chargers fail, over the years which can cause extremely expensive damage to the on board vehicle electronics. As a young 17 year old trainee, for the Longlife Tyre and Battery Company, I ended up in hospitial due to a battery exploding in the battery room :Eeek: And I followed all the rules.

But as I say, I wouldn't bother on my own van as I have a Battery Master fitted to take away all this hassle:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Eddie, I am well known for my positive feedback.::bigsmile:

Thankyou:thumb:

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Seems a fair swap for those "pictures":winky: and that great DVD of the sweaty blokes you sent me :winky:

Nick has packed it up and sent it, give me a call when you get it and I will tell you the easiest place on a Georgie Boy ( I've owned a few don't forget!)

Eddie

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I used a motorcycle battery conditioner (winter use) that will never overcharge the battery.

Lidl do regular offers or I give you a spare one:winky:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
A positive back feed up yer genny is about as close as you'll get Jim:ROFLMAO:
Geo

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Jim (Scotland)

If only I'd known I would have sent you the one of the Kipors we bought, trying to get one that worked! :ROFLMAO:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back