Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Finally got our first weekend away in the Scout and bl**dy marvellous it was too!

With 3 of us, two daft dogs and a little rain we've decided that an under-awning enclosed area (safari room?) would be really handy for drying drying the mutts and leaving wellies etc. Or drying the wellies and leaving the mutts......

Anyone got any ideas on what's good - and do they attach to to the awning?

Norrie

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
loads of different ones out there but they all weigh a bit and take time to fit.

the front panel usualy fits in the groove in the awning front rail and the sides either fit on poles or some zip to the awning fabric

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Mine is an "Omnistore" and the front slides into a groove on the front of the Awning and the sides fit on spring poles and clipped top and sides together.
Wouldnt be without it.

Don

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months
The Safari Rooms are ideal for drying off wet dogs!

We've used our Omnistor Safari Room on both outings in our MH, initially it took a bit of time to figure out how it all fitted together but now we've got it sussed it doesn't take long at all. Having had years at putting up Caravan Awnings these are very easy to fit in comparison.

The weather was fine on both of the occasions we used ours, I wouldn't feel very confident in using it in anything more than a moderate wind though, don't forget the sides are not sealed at the top and the wind could possibly still take the Awning roof. Unlike a Caravan awning we found that in calm conditions there is no need to peg it down and it still looks presentable.

I believe you can use a Tie-down kit on these but I feel this would put undue pressure on the locking catches that are fitted to the front support legs of the MH's Awning.

The Omnistor one has support legs at the back and poles that compress between the front and back rails to support the sides. The front slides in a groove along the front length of the wind-out Awning Rail. Small plastic joint strips join the sides to the front and you have cord ties to fasten this to the front and back posts.

Well worth getting, especially if you have dogs like us as it does give you somewhere to dry them off. It is a nice area to sit in as well and the front window unzips and rolls down so you can have extra ventilation and vision. :Cool:

OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
Many thanks to all three. I've e mailed Omnistor for details and prices.

Now all that's left (ha!) is to work out how to switch the under-awning outside light on.......

Last edited:

Baker69

Free Member
Jul 12, 2009
Worcestershire
Funster No
Exp
6 Months

You can get prices and details etc from somewhere like Riversway Leisure's web site (do a search on Tinternet).

I feel they're quite expensive, but they are well made. The material used for the panels seems to be Heavy Duty Acrylic by the looks of it.

I think Omnistor have a bit of a niche market there as well with very little competition which means they can command a higher price.

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
If it is for a Fiamma awning (not Ominstore) please give Jan or Darren a call and mention FUN for your discount.:thumb:

They will be able to advise you on all aspects.

Peter

Stephen & Jeannie

Free Member
Aug 27, 2008
Gobowen near Oswestry !!
Funster No
MH
Sold and bought a Caravan
Exp
9 years !!!!

Now all that's left (ha!) is to work out how to switch the under-awning outside light on.......

On the control panel above the door (inside) press the aux button and bingo...let there be light !!!.....:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::thumb:

OP
OP
Norrie

Norrie

Free Member
Mar 17, 2009
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2009
On the control panel above the door (inside) press the aux button and bingo...let there be light !!!.....:ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO::thumb:

Steve,

Just been outside to try it....and you're right....I have light!!! :thumb: Woo hoo!

I'd been prodding the big rocker switch (with the green LED, beside the step switch) thinking that must be it, and that the bulb was jiggered. :Doh:
I wonder what that switch does.........

Apr 27, 2009
Departed Cabopino in Oct 17
Funster No
MH
Dakota
Exp
Fulltiming from 2010- 2017
Hi

Safari room - good. However, just be sure it fits - i.e is the right model for your van. Good old Fiamma:Angry: provide models which have to be 'altered' by sawing off bits of strut. Ours is an F45i and we were sold a safari room which puportedly matched our awning. Took us many hours of alteration to get a fit. :Doh:

Just make sure whoever sells you the safari room is SURE it will fit.:Wacko:

Cheers

Billkce

Spacerunner

Free Member
Apr 7, 2008
Hampshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
For ease of erection, good fit and robustness, go for a Omnistor Safari Residence.

The rafter system is much stronger and the sides are fitted to the side rafters before lifting into place. The system is designed to be used over longer periods and its construction is designed accordingly. It will be quite happy in very strong winds and is very, very weather proof. I had five inches of snow on mine a couple of years ago, but also managed to have our Christmas dinner in the awning as well.

I also reccomend using two Omnistor spring loaded auxillary rafters to keep the roof nice and taught.

A tie down kit can be used either inside or outside over the 'canvas'.

Only drawback is they do weigh some, so watch your overall weight.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back