Safari room

Discussion in 'Auto-Trail' started by Norrie, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Norrie

Norrie Read Only Funster

Finally got our first weekend away in the Scout and bl**dy marvellous it was too!

With 3 of us, two daft dogs and a little rain we've decided that an under-awning enclosed area (safari room?) would be really handy for drying drying the mutts and leaving wellies etc. Or drying the wellies and leaving the mutts......

Anyone got any ideas on what's good - and do they attach to to the awning?

Norrie

2. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

loads of different ones out there but they all weigh a bit and take time to fit.

the front panel usualy fits in the groove in the awning front rail and the sides either fit on poles or some zip to the awning fabric

3. Gonewiththewind

Gonewiththewind Read Only Funster

Mine is an "Omnistore" and the front slides into a groove on the front of the Awning and the sides fit on spring poles and clipped top and sides together.
    Wouldnt be without it.

Don

4. Baker69

Baker69 Read Only Funster

The Safari Rooms are ideal for drying off wet dogs!

We've used our Omnistor Safari Room on both outings in our MH, initially it took a bit of time to figure out how it all fitted together but now we've got it sussed it doesn't take long at all. Having had years at putting up Caravan Awnings these are very easy to fit in comparison.

The weather was fine on both of the occasions we used ours, I wouldn't feel very confident in using it in anything more than a moderate wind though, don't forget the sides are not sealed at the top and the wind could possibly still take the Awning roof. Unlike a Caravan awning we found that in calm conditions there is no need to peg it down and it still looks presentable.

I believe you can use a Tie-down kit on these but I feel this would put undue pressure on the locking catches that are fitted to the front support legs of the MH's Awning.

The Omnistor one has support legs at the back and poles that compress between the front and back rails to support the sides. The front slides in a groove along the front length of the wind-out Awning Rail. Small plastic joint strips join the sides to the front and you have cord ties to fasten this to the front and back posts.

Well worth getting, especially if you have dogs like us as it does give you somewhere to dry them off. It is a nice area to sit in as well and the front window unzips and rolls down so you can have extra ventilation and vision. :Cool:

5. Norrie

Norrie Read Only Funster

Many thanks to all three. I've e mailed Omnistor for details and prices.

Now all that's left (ha!) is to work out how to switch the under-awning outside light on.......

Last edited: Jul 13, 2009
  6. Baker69

You can get prices and details etc from somewhere like Riversway Leisure's web site (do a search on Tinternet).

I feel they're quite expensive, but they are well made. The material used for the panels seems to be Heavy Duty Acrylic by the looks of it.

I think Omnistor have a bit of a niche market there as well with very little competition which means they can command a higher price.

7. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

If it is for a Fiamma awning (not Ominstore) please give Jan or Darren a call and mention FUN for your discount.:thumb:

They will be able to advise you on all aspects.

Peter

8. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

make sure the front pannel fits ...mine never had two replacements still no good

9. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

On the control panel above the door (inside) press the aux button and bingo...let there be light !!!.....:Rofl1: :Rofl1: :Rofl1::thumb:

10. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

Hi,

That is fairly normal as the side panels wrap round and join, ring Darren he will tell you how to do it:thumb:

Peter

11. lugnutt

lugnutt Funster Life Member

hi ...maybe im doing it wrong do the leg go on the inside or outside?

12. Baker69

Can't comment on the Fiamma, but on the Omnistor Safari Rooms the front legs go on the outside. :Smile:

13. Norrie

Norrie Read Only Funster

Steve,

Just been outside to try it....and you're right....I have light!!! :thumb: Woo hoo!

I'd been prodding the big rocker switch (with the green LED, beside the step switch) thinking that must be it, and that the bulb was jiggered. :Doh:
    I wonder what that switch does.........

14. billkce

billkce Funster

Hi

Safari room - good. However, just be sure it fits - i.e is the right model for your van. Good old Fiamma:Angry: provide models which have to be 'altered' by sawing off bits of strut. Ours is an F45i and we were sold a safari room which puportedly matched our awning. Took us many hours of alteration to get a fit. :Doh:

Just make sure whoever sells you the safari room is SURE it will fit.:Wacko:

Cheers

Billkce

15. Spacerunner

Spacerunner Read Only Funster

For ease of erection, good fit and robustness, go for a Omnistor Safari Residence.

The rafter system is much stronger and the sides are fitted to the side rafters before lifting into place. The system is designed to be used over longer periods and its construction is designed accordingly. It will be quite happy in very strong winds and is very, very weather proof. I had five inches of snow on mine a couple of years ago, but also managed to have our Christmas dinner in the awning as well.

I also reccomend using two Omnistor spring loaded auxillary rafters to keep the roof nice and taught.

A tie down kit can be used either inside or outside over the 'canvas'.

Only drawback is they do weigh some, so watch your overall weight.