:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Dec 6, 2011
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Coach built Adria
Exp
Since 2007
similar thing happened near us a week or so ago, clamp on a small van and usual notice on screen, parked on a private lane ( leading to ours and 3 other properties ) not an inconvenience really just been there about 18 months.

lifting truck turns up to take it away, owner and operator have a discussion, they unclamp it and drive away without the van.

i had assumed he must have taxed it... but nope. still untaxed and left alone.

i can only assume its because it is on a private lane.

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
if the land was within the boundary of one of the houses not just a piece of land owned by someone, then that is not right!!

a FOI request to DVLA (found with Google) about these extra powers was answered as below

"The exceptions to the expanded enforcement powers state that vehicles parked on land associated with a house or a block of flats cannot be wheel clamped or impounded. This applies for example, to private driveways, garages and allocated parking bays. Also vehicles kept by a motor trader or vehicle tester at a business premise cannot be wheelclamped or impounded"

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Peter JohnsCross MH

Funster
Deceased RIP
Jan 5, 2008
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Autotrail
Exp
Vehicles part exchanged should be notified to the DVLA by the registered keeper as being 'in the trade' and the garage named.

You should not leave it up to the dealer to do, he should tear off the reporting slip, give it to you to complete and send and keep the V5

Peter

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
I too thought that was the idea of a SORN.
You cannot have a sorn'ed vehicle on a public road so therefore I assume it must be kept on private land. If it has not been SORNed then that must be an offence wherever it is.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Quote from the DVLA website:

You don’t have to buy a tax disc if you don’t use or keep your vehicle on a public road (eg you keep it in a garage, on a drive or on private land). You must make a SORN instead. Your SORN is valid until your vehicle is taxed, sold or scrapped.

So, it implies that if you keep you vehicle even on private land you MUST still make a SORN declaration, that's always been my understanding too. The ONLY exception to this was some older vehicles which were owned, but not used on the road, prior to the SORN declarations coming into force.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I wasn't aware they could remove a vehicle from private land if it's neither taxed nor on SORN.
I was aware that, under the recent rule changes regarding Continuous Insurance, a vehicle that is currently taxed must also remain insured regardless of whether it was being used on the roads.
If the insurance was allowed to lapse then that vehicle MUST be placed on SORN and the tax surrendered otherwise a hefty fine could ensue.
This affected the Biker community probably more than most because, even though some do not use their machines over the winter and choose to cancel the insurance during that spell, they often don't bother to surrender the tax as the refund is fairly nominal.
It all adds to the annual paperwork but after October 14 we'll not have to worry about applying for and displaying tax discs as they're being discontinued.
God knows what I'll put in my new colour coded magnetic holder then.......:Doh:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
if a vehicle is kept on private land and NOT sorned a statutory fine will be issued by DVLA along with a claim for back duty to the last day of the last tax disc.

I speak from experience, not hearsay.

also {if i recall correctly).....a vehicle which is uninsured must also be declared off road....even if it is taxed and the disc surrendered for a refund

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Kirby cross further from londin
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
The land in question is a concrete area

As you will find in many estates of the 1970s

Accessed by the residents through

A road way not owned by any authority

But is the property of the residents/developer

With assigned parking spaces that are not marked

Also 3 blocks of garages

The car in question was lifted and removed

So the rights and wrongs have gone with the vosa people

I agree it dosnt seem right, personally I would of sorned it

As it became uninsured/taxed

Seems a harsh stick to beat the honest folk with

When it's idiots that use uninsured /unroadworthy vehicles
That cause the problem

So I think it's in our general favour but not the individuals

Jan 24, 2010
Funster No
MH
Adria Twin
Exp
Since 2007
there is two thing here

one is the SORN, and most know that is a requirement if not taxed and in its self an offence...however....

the main point for me is whether DVLA/VOSA (or more than likely a sub contractor agent) have the right to remove an untaxed or sorned vehicle from private property, which seems to be the start point of this thread, and the answer to that is no unless of course it doesnt meet the following criteria

"The exceptions to the expanded enforcement powers state that vehicles
parked on land associated with a house or a block of flats cannot be
wheel clamped or impounded. This applies for example, to private
driveways, garages and allocated parking bays. Also vehicles kept by a
motor trader or vehicle tester at a business premise cannot be
wheelclamped or impounded."

which may well be the case in the OP...but if it isnt, then the DVLA agents were effectively in the process of trespassing with the intent to steal a vehicle...upto the point the owner let them take it away post sledge hammering!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
could also have been ignoring any correspondence from DVLA, of which there would have been in the form of penalties etc, regarding not being sorned which would make it an abandoned vehicle and legally removable.

Oct 28, 2013
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
the main point for me is whether DVLA/VOSA (or more than likely a sub contractor agent) have the right to remove an untaxed or sorned vehicle from private property,
The answer may well be "No" but that won't always stop them from trying it on.
Sometime ago the DVLA tried to fine me for failing to inform them of the sale of a vehicle.
They said it was my responsibility to notify them of the new Keeper's details and that my failure to do so had resulted in the fine that they were now imposing.
I had sent in the necessary paperwork but it had somehow been lost in either their own system or that of the Royal Mail and I told them as much but they insisted that it was my duty to keep chasing them until I received confirmation of their receipt of said documentation.

I dug in for what turned out to be a 3 month battle and each time they responded to my various arguments by stating that it was my responsibility to chase them and basically to ensure that they were doing their job and hadn't forgotten about me.

Eventually I managed to dig out a number of very similar cases from the fairly recent past where the court had ruled against the DVLA and in one particular case the Judge stated that:

"The DVLA has no statutory authority and cannot therefore insist upon payment of the imposed fine in this case".

I threw this back at the very insistent woman from the DVLA office in Nottingham with whom I'd been dealing.
The next and final letter came from their Chief Prosecutor who wrote to acknowledge that what I had said was in fact correct and that they accepted that there was no case to answer in this instance.

The matter was dropped.

In this case they had definitely overstepped the mark and personally I think they do it quite often, fairly secure in the knowledge that most of the people when challenged will eventually roll over most of the time.....:Angry:

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
I think there are some crossed wires in this thread. If you have a vehicle which was previously taxed and do not renew the tax you must make a SORN declaration. You can gold plate the vehicle, put it in a glass case on the mantelpiece but you will still get a fine if you don't.

The rules changed to stop people keeping untaxed vehicles on private lane, for example their drive, but were still using the vehicle.

The references to wheel clamping etc relate to other offences I think.

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08
This thread started as my observation or being nosey if you prefer

as the 3 dvla vehicles were parked outside my window

Ie two lift trucks one with a car on board an empty lift truck

And the camera transit

When I spoke to the camera van driver mainly asking why three vans

He said the fella was a little annoyed , rightly so I think

If no warning was given which I have no knowledge either way

So I can only assume it was legally removed

Now to the reason I posted given below

If you or I was to go off traveling in the camper for say 4 months

And your runaround car left at home it's tax run out

I was bringing up the point that even on private land you could

Return home to find your car lifted and removed to the crusher

Now whether it's legal or not it would be gone
and you would have to persue the matter

But if you sorn the vehicle that should stop the problem arising
Simple oversight maybe but not easily resolved once the vehicle is crushed

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
More likely to have been SORN but the land was in fact not private but part of the highway. Many are under the misconception that the land behind their public housing on a parking bay or slip road are private when they are not.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
More likely to have been SORN but the land was in fact not private but part of the highway. Many are under the misconception that the land behind their public housing on a parking bay or slip road are private when they are not.

Private parking bays classed as off road parking for residents along the highway on estates are shown by flat kirbing/edgeing stone on the road and the tarmac/concrete being a differnt colour to the highway behind the kirbing/edgeing stone - at least they are around here. It doesnt stop some officals trying it on though
Same thing with garage communial parking areas

Last edited:

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
I too thought that was the idea of a SORN.
You cannot have a sorn'ed vehicle on a public road so therefore I assume it must be kept on private land. [HI]If it has not been SORNed then that must be an offence wherever it is[/HI].

Yes, it is.

It must be realised that what we refer to as "Road Tax" isn't a tax at all.
It's "Vehicle Excise Duty", which is a Duty payable for ownership, rather than road use.
We have been given the facility to declare SORN, and failure to either pay up or make the declaration is an offence.

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
I think there are some crossed wires in this thread. If you have a vehicle which was previously taxed and do not renew the tax you must make a SORN declaration. You can gold plate the vehicle, put it in a glass case on the mantelpiece but you will still get a fine if you don't.

The rules changed to stop people keeping untaxed vehicles on private lane, for example their drive, but were still using the vehicle.

The references to wheel clamping etc relate to other offences I think.

Easy remedy. You just remove the number plates.

Chap in the next Ville to us decided to use his old Renault panel van as a shed. Took the wheels off once he had it in position in his garden, in fact, he did a very neat job. He declared that the vehicle was now scrapped, but alas, DVLA said that he had not informed them, nor declared SORN, and so imposed a 'fine', which he ignored. Next arrived the removal truck. "What van", he asked the driver, (and accompanying official)......"That one" was the reply. "Prove it" he said, no registration plate. Official stated that he was going to examine the ex-van for a VIN number. "Not without a warrant, your not", was the reply. As of February, no fine paid, van still his shed/workshop, and still in his garden. He has now removed both VIN numbers, just to be on the safe side. :thumb:

OP
OP
tofo
Oct 1, 2007
Funster No
MH
Between Motor homes
Exp
since 08

land is definatly private dvla
had to unclamp a friends m/home two years back
rules seem to have changed since

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back