S l o w laptop (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Does anyone know what i can do to get my laptop to get its act together ?
It's taken to doing just about nothing except for the wheel on the top of the chrome browser just turning forever.
I can't even get to my settings. I usually go onto settings and uncheck / recheck ticks and that seems to help but can't even do that now.
It's an HP laptop running Windows 7
It's a few years old now so maybe it's trying to tell me something

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
use msconfig to switch off loads of programs loading in the background

Jul 23, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
knaus van ti 600mg
Exp
Getting There since 2013
I use a free program called "wise disk cleaner" and "wise registry cleaner" using the disk cleaner first then followed by the registry. I come across it a few years ago it was reviewed in a computer mag where it would know what you can and can't clean, hence the "wise".

I'll link it here but remember to read the installation instructions and "uncheck" any extra install software (usally browser and search tools) that tend to come with free software.

http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-disk-cleaner.html
http://www.wisecleaner.com/wise-registry-cleaner.html

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Restart it frequently, as opposed to simply turning it off / on & utilise the disk clean up utility including removing ''shadow copies''.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Run Malwarebytes, CCleaner and then do a defrag, should help it along.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
Thanks for the tips.
I'm going to try them but suspect it's just getting too old. PC's seems to have a life span after which it's all an ordeal
Trip to pc world coming up i think

Welsh girl

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 7, 2009
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for the tips.
I'm going to try them but suspect it's just getting too old. PC's seems to have a life span after which it's all an ordeal
Trip to pc world coming up i think
Same with tablets I suspect. Mine has gone the same with some apps.
I have used cc cleaner and it runs faster for a while then goes back to the way it was.Havent defragged for a while now though.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Agree also worth restarting in Safe mode it often sorts out registry issues.
Actually within CCleaner you can check the Registry stuff too for issues, which is what I do.:)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
That is what I do every couple of weeks, plus do a 'Restart' every few days in between, which I did this morning and now running fine.

Geoff
Ah ... you are one of the great 'never-switch-offers' then ... I shut mine down every day so it always has a restart, but good point.

MannClan

Free Member
Dec 5, 2015
Peterborough
Funster No
MH
coachbuild
Exp
approx 2003
it may be something as simple as the hard drive has no space, particularly if it is as old as you say and you don't do any housekeeping on it. right click on "my computer" and see what space is left if any. try something simple like going into internet explorer options and deleting all your temp files - there's probably thousands. also clear temp files in your windows directory.

OP
OP
Figaro
Feb 22, 2011
Newcastle under Lyme
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 A Class
Exp
Since 2015
I got it sorted out now, I tried to run the c cleaner as recommended but it wouldn`t download.
I them remember I already had anti malware already installed so I ran than and it sorted things out and now running just fine.
I did establish though that the laptop is seven years old so probably a museum piece in IT terms !
Still I`ll back up regularly and keep it going a bit longer as it does what I want it too, why spend money on a new laptop if I don`t need too ?

R

Robert Clark

Deleted User
Vacuum any dust and debris from the air inlet and fans - will certainly help keep the processor cooler

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
I had the same slow performance with my four year old MacBook Pro. I switched the hard drive for a SSD and it's now faster that when it was new.

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Windows 7
It's a few years old now so maybe it's trying to tell me something

Last ditch move before spending ££££££££££. Provided all you need is web browsing, no special Windows programs, email via www.

Backup anything you need to a USB drive/stick.

Buy this.......

It's what I am using right now.

Boot from DVD. You can then vape Windows and have a nice clean desktop that looks just like windows. Chrome or Firefox for www.

I've been using it about 2 months now because I get fed up with Windows 10 always trying to take over my computer.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back