Rv's (1 Viewer)

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Found this & was very suprised:Sad::Sad:
"Coachmen are at the lowest end of the RV market, and therefore have a price that will appeal. They also have lots of graphics and usually ultra leather, this is used to give the RV a "WOW" factor and disguise the fact that the build quality is poor.
Ponder, if you wish, this point.
Most A class RVs are built on either Ford or GM base vehicles, they use the same air con, cooker,heating system, microwave, etc, so the cost to the manufacturer up to this point is going to be very similar. It is the fitting and quality of the habitation that makes the difference.
All manufacturers will want to make the maximum profit from each model, so please ask yourself this.......If they could sell there product for the same price as Tiffin or Winnebago, why don't they?
The answer is simple, they cant because on comparison the quality will not stand up.
At this point anyone who owns a Coachmen will start to defend there vehicle, and so they should, they purchased them, and you could say I am biased because I am selling a new Winnebago, BUT.....
I only purchased a Winnebago after spending 3 weeks in the US, not talking to the sales people, but talking eating and drinking with the Tec's
It became clear, as with all things you only get what you pay for, and the true value for money option was either Tiffin or Winnebago.
If you are still not sure, log on to the American RV web sites and all will become clear.
Sorry to chunter on but I would hate to see anyone make an expensive mistake
If you would like an independent vie on a Coachmen I can give you the name of a friend who owns one and can confirm if you phone him he will have just one word to describe his RV......Junk.
This is not a vendetta against Coachmen"

This was some one else's post but found it interesting................... I wonder how many other makes are like this.

Last edited:
L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
I saw this on Facts too.................I wondered how long it would take to filter across :roflmto:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
It'll cheer Geo up:winky::ROFLMAO:

People use to say this about Fords.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
sersol

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Hi Linda,thanks for the light, great.
Nothing sinister in the post, I was just shocked at what the guy said about the quality.
I'm sure I have seen some one on here with something like it & raves about it.

Gary

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Sure Gary.....your old mate Dazzer :winky: :roflmto:

Coachmen are indeed one of the less expensive makes, like any industry there will always be items aimed at the more affordable sector.

After all, you can't buy a new Bentley for the same price as a new Mondeo ::bigsmile:

OP
OP
sersol

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
Your right Linda,
I suppose the same goes for "Euro Vans" it just seems different when some-one puts "pen to Paper" as it were..................................or keyboard to screen in this case.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:.
Anyway not crossed swords with "Dazzer" for a while :roflmto::roflmto:.
Been there,done that,read the book,seen the film got the teeshirt & not going again :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:.
Gary

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
It'll cheer Geo up:winky::ROFLMAO:

People use to say this about Fords.

Could have been worse John I could have bought a Eura Mobile,
Could have a been a lot worse I could live in Milton Keynes and have a Eura Mobile:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Must get this guys name,dont want to make a mistake when I get the next one, as he's clearly the RV Orical:Doh:
Geo

L

Lindy-C

Deleted User
Your right Linda,
I suppose the same goes for "Euro Vans" it just seems different when some-one puts "pen to Paper" as it were..................................or keyboard to screen in this case.::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:.
Been there,done that,read the book,seen the film got the teeshirt & not going again :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:.
Gary

Wait till he logs on and sees this :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

Seriously though.....the chap who posted this owns a Winnebago Sightseer.......night and day difference in build quality, weight, body style and price too.

Coachmen are lighter weight, the only way that can be achieved is by doing away with the solid oak cabinetry and other trimmings which go into making Winnies and some other makes what they are.

Look at the Fleetwood Tioga & Majestic and the Fourwinds Dutchmen that we use.......lightweight chassis and fittings done for a reason - affordable market :Smile:

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Same engine, chassis, fridge, cooker lights, AC, keys, horn cigar lighter and on and on.

Rest is crap:Doh:

:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
If Coachman is such a load of crap

How come they stay in business ?
How come people keep buying them ?

Don't believe the story that they're all sent to the Uk because there are loads of them over here in fact there are 2 on the site I'm at now.

As for hard wood fittings in the so called better makes, some of the tattiest Rvs we looked at were the better makes, a lot depends on how they're looked after. I test drove a Monaco Cayman from a well known dealer in the uk 6 months ago. The bedroom slide jammed every time it was used the bedroom door actually fell off when we tried to close it and a kitchen drawer had broken runners. This RV was less than 2 years old and had only done 4000 miles so much for build quality. Needless to say we did'nt buy it in fact Jan said "if you think I'm swapping our Damon (cheap make) for that load of junk you can think again" this Rv was for sale for £100k

Heres an example of getting what you pay for;
As some of you know I recently dumped a 3 year old E Class Merc it was the worst car I've ever had the misfortune to own. My wife had a Skoda Felicia which was one of the best cars we've ever owned and 100 times better than the Merc and we've all heard the Skoda jokes.

I think its unfair to generalise or brand all items from a certain brand as junk and that quote is just one persons opinion. I know several owners of Coachmans who are very happy with the product.
Each to their own I say and good luck to them

OP
OP
sersol

sersol

Free Member
Oct 18, 2007
Funster No
"I think its unfair to generalise or brand all items from a certain brand as junk and that quote is just one persons opinion"

I totally agree with you,as I said before I was quite shocked at what I read.
A very good friend of mine(he must be he still telephones me :roflmto:) has a Lexington Forest River ?(I'm not up on RV's so might have got the name wrong).
Anyway I think its about the same as the Coachman as I remember & seems pretty good to me.
The only fault he has had is with the turbo,strip down,clean & hey presto now ok.
Gary

ruffingitsmoothly

Deceased RIP
Jan 2, 2008
West of Southampton edge
Funster No
MH
A Class RV
Exp
If Coachman is such a load of crap

How come they stay in business ?
How come people keep buying them ?

Don't believe the story that they're all sent to the Uk because there are loads of them over here in fact there are 2 on the site I'm at now.

As for hard wood fittings in the so called better makes, some of the tattiest Rvs we looked at were the better makes, a lot depends on how they're looked after. I test drove a Monaco Cayman from a well known dealer in the uk 6 months ago. The bedroom slide jammed every time it was used the bedroom door actually fell off when we tried to close it and a kitchen drawer had broken runners. This RV was less than 2 years old and had only done 4000 miles so much for build quality. Needless to say we did'nt buy it in fact Jan said "if you think I'm swapping our Damon (cheap make) for that load of junk you can think again" this Rv was for sale for £100k

Heres an example of getting what you pay for;
As some of you know I recently dumped a 3 year old E Class Merc it was the worst car I've ever had the misfortune to own. My wife had a Skoda Felicia which was one of the best cars we've ever owned and 100 times better than the Merc and we've all heard the Skoda jokes.

I think its unfair to generalise or brand all items from a certain brand as junk and that quote is just one persons opinion. I know several owners of Coachmans who are very happy with the product.
Each to their own I say and good luck to them

Hi Ror

To be fair as with other RV's the Monaco has it's economy models well as the more quality ones

The entry level is I believe the Monarch then in ascending order La Palma,Cayman,Knight,Diplomat,Camelot,Dynasty,Executive and finally the Signature. Obviously the latter are more refined than the former. We are very pleased with our Windsor the quality of the build is superb and the cabinets are solid cherrywood, I know as I had to cut out bigger holes to fit the uk sockets.

As you say a lot depends on how they are looked after I have seen some so called quality late RV's in the UK that were in a very poor state, it was not till a bit later that I learn't that they were ex hospitality hire and as such had been abused by every Tom Dick and Harry! Of course this fact was not disclosed when I was wishing to buy one (This was from one of the major dealers too)!

Regards Pat

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
Hi Ror

As you say a lot depends on how they are looked after I have seen some so called quality late RV's in the UK that were in a very poor state, it was not till a bit later that I learn't that they were ex hospitality hire and as such had been abused by every Tom Dick and Harry!

Regards Pat

I say...... I haven't abused an RV for many a long year! :Sad::Sad:

Dick from the BPG

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Why Geo ever put pen to paper in the first place I'll never know:winky::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Look at the uproar he caused:winky:

Lampie

Free Member
Nov 2, 2007
Derby
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
I like my coachmen :cry:

Lampie

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
I found this article recently and meant to post it in reply to the original thread only just remembered. Just proves the original quote is one mans very biased opinion.

Posted June 19, 2008 11:20 PM
Coachmen Grabs Market Share

MIDDLEBURY, IN — Coachmen RV Group has shown considerable strength during the first four months of 2008 in retail sales of its motorized products.

Statistical Surveys Inc. ranked Coachmen fifth in the nation in all motorhome retail sales, year-to-date through April, with 8.3 percent market share. Market share for the month of April alone was an impressive 9.5 percent.

Retail sales of Coachmen RV Group Class C motorhomes have been particularly strong. Coachmen Industries is ranked the No. 2 retailing manufacturer in the industry in Class C retail sales with 15.3 percent market share. The Coachmen model (brand) has earned the No. 1 ranking throughout the nation with a market share increase of 6.2 percent through the first four months of 2008, on top of our 2007 calendar year market share growth of 13.2 percent. April 2008 sales were particularly strong with the Coachmen brand logging 16.6 percent of all Class Cs sold that month.

Coachmen’s travel trailer and fifth wheel products are also gaining market share through April 2008. These gains are also on top of significant market share gains posted in calendar year 2007.

"Over the last 18 months, we have radically repositioned our Company. A clear vision, best-in-class quality and innovation to our products represent our most significant accomplishments. These accomplishments are supported by our market share gains in nearly all product categories”, said Michael R. Terlep, president of Coachmen RV Group. “As Apple co-founder, Steve Jobs once said, innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower. The latest data from Statistical Surveys clearly shows that the innovation that we have brought to our products has re-established Coachmen as a leader."

Coachmen's Class C Freelander™ has led the charge in sales. Among the features that consumers find appealing are its immense exterior storage, residential size queen beds and the innovative Azdel™ SuperLite™ composite substrate in the sidewalls that resists moisture, mold and rot.

"Our product innovations are practical innovations that provide value to our customers," said Terlep. "Beyond the WOW factor of our products, they are easy to use, easy to own and easy to enjoy.”

Other Coachmen motorized products with progressive, forward thinking, ultra-modern styling that are earning great reviews include:

• The Prism™, an aerodynamic fuel efficient Class C built on the diesel Sprinter chassis.
• The Leprechaun® Class C … special 40th edition of the Leprechaun series featuring an advanced interior design coupled with a reliable motorhome design and construction.
• The Mirada™ Avant-garde™, a Class A gas powered motorhome that has a distinctly unique interior design.

johnsandywhite

Free Member
Jul 29, 2007
Doncaster/Spain
Funster No
MH
'A' Class RV &
Exp
:Cool: I owned a 1988 Coachmen Classic 34ft based on a Chevy P30. In fact in was our very first RV. Apart from having bought it from a small dealer and the fact that it had been stood for 18 months (didn't know at the time) prior to us buying it at a price beyond it's worth. I loved our Coachmen. The quality in my opinion was very good. The layout was perfect and had everything we wished for apart from the additions of Solar power, Inverters and Satellite.
Why did we sell it? We were fed up of spending money on it because it had been so badly neglected and basically left to rot. If it had been taken care of better, lived in and used more often? Perhaps we would still own it. Would I buy another? YES. If I knew then what I knew now.
ALL RV's & Motor-homes have good and bad models within their range. As was mentioned previously. You GET what you PAY for. Provided of course you haven't been ripped off by a dealer with cosmetic fixes. IMH&HO. :winky:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Blimey :Eeek:

Cant believe i missed this 1 :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Coachmen RVs...load of rubbish, without a doubt the worst vehicles ever to be put on the roads, they should all be collected up and crushed....immediatley :Eeek:

Take my pile of junk for instance :Eeek:

Every time i put my key in the ignition...it starts :thumb:
Turn on the house batteries....everything lights up and works:thumb:
Open the tap..would you believe it, water comes out....its even hot out of the hot tap :Eeek:
Put food in the oven...and it cooks:thumb:
Push the button on the 3 slide outs and blow me down they move in and out :thumb:
Try to open a cupboard...the bloody thing just swing open and then close again with a satisfying clunk :thumb:
Turn on the TV......yupp youve guessed it, a real live picture with sound as well :Eeek:
You can even sleep in the (very comfortable) bed which is a plus point :Eeek:
They have the audacity to cover the the couch and front seats with leather, now i much prefer mail bags but unfortuantly the leather is standard :Eeek:
Having owned it now for 18 months and not had single issue with faults, build quality, things falling off, been badly made or any other problems of any kind i can indeed confirm that Coachmen make the worse possible RVs on the road.:ROFLMAO:

They must do or everywhere i go in it people wouldnt stare at it and want to come and have a look round it and then keep telling me that its one of the nicest RVs they have ever seen.::bigsmile:

Would I recommend a Coachmen RV to people......what do you think :Eeek::winky:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
Gary

I like a man that knows when hes beaten :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::thumb:

dazzer

Free Member
Jul 30, 2007
In my house
Funster No
MH
Virtual RV!!
Exp
10 Years
If it is soooooooo good why is it for sale?:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Regards Pat
Cos things have change at work and we arent going to get to use it much for the next couple of years and we have a place in Turkey which is a lot more appealing for a long weekend than risking the weather in this wonderful country when we do get any spare time. Bit of a no brainer really!!!

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back