Rv's

Discussion in 'All the Rest' started by sersol, May 19, 2008.

1. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

Found this & was very suprised:Sad::Sad:
    "Coachmen are at the lowest end of the RV market, and therefore have a price that will appeal. They also have lots of graphics and usually ultra leather, this is used to give the RV a "WOW" factor and disguise the fact that the build quality is poor.
    Ponder, if you wish, this point.
    Most A class RVs are built on either Ford or GM base vehicles, they use the same air con, cooker,heating system, microwave, etc, so the cost to the manufacturer up to this point is going to be very similar. It is the fitting and quality of the habitation that makes the difference.
    All manufacturers will want to make the maximum profit from each model, so please ask yourself this.......If they could sell there product for the same price as Tiffin or Winnebago, why don't they?
    The answer is simple, they cant because on comparison the quality will not stand up.
    At this point anyone who owns a Coachmen will start to defend there vehicle, and so they should, they purchased them, and you could say I am biased because I am selling a new Winnebago, BUT.....
    I only purchased a Winnebago after spending 3 weeks in the US, not talking to the sales people, but talking eating and drinking with the Tec's
    It became clear, as with all things you only get what you pay for, and the true value for money option was either Tiffin or Winnebago.
    If you are still not sure, log on to the American RV web sites and all will become clear.
    Sorry to chunter on but I would hate to see anyone make an expensive mistake
    If you would like an independent vie on a Coachmen I can give you the name of a friend who owns one and can confirm if you phone him he will have just one word to describe his RV......Junk.
    This is not a vendetta against Coachmen"

This was some one else's post but found it interesting................... I wonder how many other makes are like this.

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

I saw this on Facts too.................I wondered how long it would take to filter across :Laughing:

3. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

It'll cheer Geo up:Wink::Rofl1:

People use to say this about Fords.

4. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

Hi Linda,thanks for the light, great.
    Nothing sinister in the post, I was just shocked at what the guy said about the quality.
    I'm sure I have seen some one on here with something like it & raves about it.

Gary

5. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Sure Gary.....your old mate Dazzer :Wink: :Laughing:

Coachmen are indeed one of the less expensive makes, like any industry there will always be items aimed at the more affordable sector.

After all, you can't buy a new Bentley for the same price as a new Mondeo :BigGrin:

6. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

Your right Linda,
    I suppose the same goes for "Euro Vans" it just seems different when some-one puts "pen to Paper" as it were..................................or keyboard to screen in this case.:BigGrin::BigGrin::BigGrin:.
    Anyway not crossed swords with "Dazzer" for a while :Laughing::Laughing:.
    Been there,done that,read the book,seen the film got the teeshirt & not going again :Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile::Smile:.
    Gary

7. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Could have been worse John I could have bought a Eura Mobile,
    Could have a been a lot worse I could live in Milton Keynes and have a Eura Mobile:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Must get this guys name,dont want to make a mistake when I get the next one, as he's clearly the RV Orical:Doh:
    Geo

8. Lindy-C

Lindy-C Deleted User

Wait till he logs on and sees this :Rofl1: :Rofl1:

Seriously though.....the chap who posted this owns a Winnebago Sightseer.......night and day difference in build quality, weight, body style and price too.

Coachmen are lighter weight, the only way that can be achieved is by doing away with the solid oak cabinetry and other trimmings which go into making Winnies and some other makes what they are.

Look at the Fleetwood Tioga & Majestic and the Fourwinds Dutchmen that we use.......lightweight chassis and fittings done for a reason - affordable market :Smile:

9. Road Runner

Same engine, chassis, fridge, cooker lights, AC, keys, horn cigar lighter and on and on.

Rest is crap:Doh:

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

10. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

If Coachman is such a load of crap

How come they stay in business ?
    How come people keep buying them ?

Don't believe the story that they're all sent to the Uk because there are loads of them over here in fact there are 2 on the site I'm at now.

As for hard wood fittings in the so called better makes, some of the tattiest Rvs we looked at were the better makes, a lot depends on how they're looked after. I test drove a Monaco Cayman from a well known dealer in the uk 6 months ago. The bedroom slide jammed every time it was used the bedroom door actually fell off when we tried to close it and a kitchen drawer had broken runners. This RV was less than 2 years old and had only done 4000 miles so much for build quality. Needless to say we did'nt buy it in fact Jan said "if you think I'm swapping our Damon (cheap make) for that load of junk you can think again" this Rv was for sale for £100k

Heres an example of getting what you pay for;
    As some of you know I recently dumped a 3 year old E Class Merc it was the worst car I've ever had the misfortune to own. My wife had a Skoda Felicia which was one of the best cars we've ever owned and 100 times better than the Merc and we've all heard the Skoda jokes.

I think its unfair to generalise or brand all items from a certain brand as junk and that quote is just one persons opinion. I know several owners of Coachmans who are very happy with the product.
    Each to their own I say and good luck to them

11. sersol

sersol Read Only Funster

"I think its unfair to generalise or brand all items from a certain brand as junk and that quote is just one persons opinion"

I totally agree with you,as I said before I was quite shocked at what I read.
    A very good friend of mine(he must be he still telephones me :Laughing:) has a Lexington Forest River ?(I'm not up on RV's so might have got the name wrong).
    Anyway I think its about the same as the Coachman as I remember & seems pretty good to me.
    The only fault he has had is with the turbo,strip down,clean & hey presto now ok.
    Gary

12. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

Hi Ror

To be fair as with other RV's the Monaco has it's economy models well as the more quality ones

The entry level is I believe the Monarch then in ascending order La Palma,Cayman,Knight,Diplomat,Camelot,Dynasty,Executive and finally the Signature. Obviously the latter are more refined than the former. We are very pleased with our Windsor the quality of the build is superb and the cabinets are solid cherrywood, I know as I had to cut out bigger holes to fit the uk sockets.

As you say a lot depends on how they are looked after I have seen some so called quality late RV's in the UK that were in a very poor state, it was not till a bit later that I learn't that they were ex hospitality hire and as such had been abused by every Tom Dick and Harry! Of course this fact was not disclosed when I was wishing to buy one (This was from one of the major dealers too)!

Regards Pat

13. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

I say...... I haven't abused an RV for many a long year! :Sad::Sad:

Dick from the BPG

14. Road Runner

No you left it to Harry & Tom:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

15. ruffingitsmoothly

ruffingitsmoothly Read Only Funster

I expect Tom will have something to say about that:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Regards Pat

16. Road Runner

Why Geo ever put pen to paper in the first place I'll never know:Wink::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Look at the uproar he caused:Wink:

17. Road Runner

Where are we going to find a Harry from?:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

18. Lampie

Lampie Read Only Funster

I like my coachmen :cry:

Lampie

19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

There putting me with the tents at Stratford:Sad:
    Geo