RVs - easy to buy - problem selling? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
If you checkout ebay item no 300756645196 which has now been sold for £20000, this was the model we were very interested in. Its a Gulfstream Vista cruiser on the Sprinter chassis and has all the American toys in a panel van. How many panel van conversions do you see with a built in genny. The price of European panel vans is ridiculous in my opinion but if these Gulfstreams ever hit Europe the Euro panel van manufacturers may as well shut shop.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Not unlike this 22 year old German invention is it Jim....Bit like reinventing the wheel.

Attachments

• RMB 002.jpg
    RMB 002.jpg
    95 KB · Views: 28
  • RMB 001.jpg
    RMB 001.jpg
    95.6 KB · Views: 29

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
I just suffered being last on the field after all the eurobox's had churned up the entrance and road way.

Bob

No Bob, you suffered being last on the field after all the other motorhomes had churned up the entrance and road way. :RollEyes: :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
worse thing is its built on a sprinter . seen alot of corroded chassis,s on sprinters .and there is that engine trouble .
think merc need to improve their quality if they want to carry on building vans . actually its the chassis cabs that are worse the vans dont seem to have it so bad.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300756645.../sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=300756645196&_rdc=1
We looked at the Merc based Yanks for our US tour and when put up against MANY EU vans they were much better built with all options as standard. We intended buying one and then shipping it back to keep or for resale in the EU. When these van conversions on the Merc chassis hit Europe many EU converters are going to be in serious trouble. They are half the price with double the spec.

If you checkout ebay item no 300756645196 which has now been sold for £20000, this was the model we were very interested in. Its a Gulfstream Vista cruiser on the Sprinter chassis and has all the American toys in a panel van. How many panel van conversions do you see with a built in genny. The price of European panel vans is ridiculous in my opinion but if these Gulfstreams ever hit Europe the Euro panel van manufacturers may as well shut shop.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/300756645.../sch/i.html?_sacat=0&_nkw=300756645196&_rdc=1
Hi Snowbird, it will not happen ::bigsmile:Firstly everything is half price in USA so the cost of building a van is half price in bits :thumb:plus the van itself is half price.::bigsmile:Next for me the van in question is not that cheap (although it is cheap to normal folk :winky:)By the time you pay for shipping etc I would think it would add at least 3/4 k on the price so that would give a total of 24 k ish
Now a 2004 Sprinter would cost around 3/4k ish then say another 10k on double priced items to get it up to the same USA spec leaves you around 10k profit for building the van :thumb: AND yes PVC vans are overpriced here ::bigsmile:
Do yanks want a small van over there ?will they give up on the big RVs ?It could well be the other way around from here ::bigsmile:Small vans hard to sell there while the big RVs are hard to sell here ::bigsmile:
terry
terry

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004

Hi Snowbird, it will not happen ::bigsmile:Firstly everything is half price in USA so the cost of building a van is half price in bits :thumb:plus the van itself is half price.::bigsmile:Next for me the van in question is not that cheap (although it is cheap to normal folk :winky:)By the time you pay for shipping etc I would think it would add at least 3/4 k on the price so that would give a total of 24 k ish
Now a 2004 Sprinter would cost around 3/4k ish then say another 10k on double priced items to get it up to the same USA spec leaves you around 10k profit for building the van :thumb: AND yes PVC vans are overpriced here ::bigsmile:
Do yanks want a small van over there ?will they give up on the big RVs ?It could well be the other way around from here ::bigsmile:Small vans hard to sell there while the big RVs are hard to sell here ::bigsmile:
terry
terry

The Americans already do it and they are sold over here, 24ft Merc 3lt based RV with slideout and complete with all the things we come to expect from motorhomes produced in the US and all for £69995, real quality at a real competitive price
And the Canadians (Triple E ) are in the process of producing a brand new panel van sized unit , I will post a link when I can find it.

Have look at this :thumb:

Link Removed

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Most of the RV industry went bankrupt in the last 6 years. some well known names just disappeared. But there has always been a lot, several hundred, independent small family owned companies RV makers, these continue and some companies are now rising from the ashes and while there are plenty of 40 footers still being made to satisfy the massive market for them, many are making much smaller motorhomes. In fact 40ft plus motorhomes in the US are banned from many areas, but the prices of fuel is making the yanks appreciate the word "economy"

I am truly excited by this, some of the new small motorhomes built in the American way, with the emphasis on comfort, large holding tanks, decent showers and slides but built on engines smaller that 8.1litres:Eeek: This Will really give the Luxury Europeans a run for their money, some of the new yank B class motorhomes beat them size v facilities already, but are still built on engines that are too big.

When these new yanks start to appear here, some built on modern European engines and chassis smaller than many Europeans and better spec'd than most, maybe the childish bickering will stop. Who cares where a motorhome is made:RollEyes:

Here is a new winnie on a Merc at 25ft its smaller than many. In ten years time vans like this will be common place over here. Its an RV :Smile:

Broken Link Removed

We looked at a couple of these on our last trip to the states and I think they're only gonna get better and better. Not quite there yet, mpg still not good enough and very poor payload infact non excistent payload on a few. Having said that the quality and comfort is superb and I reckon they will get it right because even yanks are getting conserned about mpg. We nearly bought one but decided this time round the Hymer was a better all round bet but it was close. I would love one in the future if and when they make a few small improvements, have to admit I do miss having the slideout it is such a luxury when parked to have that bit of extra space::bigsmile:

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons, I have the pictures to prove it... thought about having a christmas card made of them and send them to some of the members we know.... mind you for the first time I got stuck in the mud at Malvern..... who said it is on chalk???? mind you all I needed was a mud mat.. I did not dig-out two big farrows.... I just suffered being last on the field after all the eurobox's had churned up the entrance and road way.

Bob
Yes Bob I have seen that picture too, the indignity of it to have your 100k dream machine towed from behind by a rusty old farm tractor.:winky:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
RVs, especially the larger ones are the ultimate MH - space and comfort, so why are they so hard to sell?

Looked up 'Winnebagos' on ebay to look at slobadoberbobs' latest advert and saw another 2004 Winnebago for sale that was for sale a year ago by the same motor dealer (same distinctive photo with car on trailer), price is £27,000.

I think the price a year ago (when I was looking for a MH) was £29,000 which I thought was reasonable - and it is lpg converted.

Are they just too big?
dealers are greedy things they want too much for them
to get a true reflection on price follow ebay and private sales

i was only offered £15k for my RV the years i got her 2009
same type as mine in a dealers £32K with more miles than mine
so dealers do have stock along time
as you say one year on and still for sale for sale at an over inflated price

OP
OP
Barclaybasher
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
dealers are greedy things they want too much for them
to get a true reflection on price follow ebay and private sales

i was only offered £15k for my RV the years i got her 2009
same type as mine in a dealers £32K with more miles than mine
so dealers do have stock along time
as you say one year on and still for sale for sale at an over inflated price

The dealer is a car dealer and the RV his own, don't know if this makes a difference - still seems a lot of RV for the money - just too big for me

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Here you go....

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Here you go....

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed

Broken Link Removed
Just goes to prove anything and everything is possible when you have control of the worlds oil and resources Dave.

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Ugly or what? More motorhospitality than motorhome, but if you like it shifty, it'll only set you back £495,000:Eeek: Link Removed ::bigsmile:

Jul 28, 2010
The world
Funster No
MH
Small car
Exp
The dealer is a car dealer and the RV his own, don't know if this makes a difference - still seems a lot of RV for the money - just too big for me
All RVs are a lot of RV for the money
far better than any Eurobox
some private sellers do try and get dealer prices for their unwanted motorhomes may be he is just one of them

i bet a pound to a penny that if some one offered him 6/8K less he would snap thier hand off i knocked 10K of mine from when the owner first started from private sale :thumb:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I have had some silly offers

in the two lisitings on ebay I have had several offers... silly ones which no one in there right mind would accept.

I have a couple of irons in the fire with a PX.. but at the moment I am going to relist the RV and wait and see.. I am in no rush. The toy hauler has gone, so I will sell my RV and look as and when. I need a replacement vehicle for my disability needs so I can think outside the box with a PX.

I looked at the prices of europeans for sale at Malvern.. boy such high prices for very little. I also looked at some of the RV's of similar age that were nearly £20k more for being one year newer registered.... were they better than mine at £29,999? who knows.

I have increased the price of mine back to £28,500 reduced the words.. I am now including a lot of the gear that was extras and it will be a case of wait and see... I just spent £450 this week on the calliper and brakes... so when it goes it has the extra of being sorted.

I also while I went about at Malvern noticed far less sold signs even in the Europeans than I have seen over the years. So I think it comes down to no money.

I had a few look at the RV at Malvern.. but it was a case I have to sell mine first (europeans)... so there are those that will migrate to the RV from the Europeans.. just lake of cash.

We have decided not to take the RV to France and Spain in September... it is going to be valeted by my Russian on Monday and then we will start to put it in to winter mode and still run the advert.. if it goes great .. if not then we may put it back into use next year or maybe trade it in if I can find the right toy hauler.. but I object to the dealers mark ups so that is not attractive.

I will not put it on sale or return as to many items can go for a walk.

I do not know the answer to the post on page one... but I do feel personally it is the general economic situation of the UK at this time... I spoke to various stall holders and I heard the same thing...weather and no money about... I even purchased an extra knife to my set for £55 down from £125... dumping to cover his cost at the show.

Bob

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
All RVs are a lot of RV for the money
[HI]far better than any Eurobox[/HI]
some private sellers do try and get dealer prices for their unwanted motorhomes may be he is just one of them

i bet a pound to a penny that if some one offered him 6/8K less he would snap thier hand off i knocked 10K of mine from when the owner first started from private sale :thumb:

Each to his / her own....

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Paraphrasing a quote fron Deng Xiaoping:

Black cat, white cat.
If it catches mice it's a good cat.

My white cat does what I want it to do.
It's good.

Does it really matter what we prefer as individuals?

May 6, 2010
Doncaster
Funster No
MH
Exp
April 2010
Impossible to sell RV's, surprising really when compared with the competition.. sorry alternative, reading through another Fun thread ' Whats the most iritating design feature on your van? ' 8 pages of "cannot do this or that without banging my head" " cannot eat my dinner without one elbow on the steering wheel the other on the loo door " " cannot reach my specs without everyone in the van playing musical chairs" " cannot have a shower without my bum sticking to the curtain" " cannot go to the loo without climbing over my other half 6 times a night" and on and on and on ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
Not one single reply from an RV owner... guess they must be happy with their lot :winky:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Impossible to sell RV's, surprising really when compared with the competition.. sorry alternative, reading through another Fun thread ' Whats the most iritating design feature on your van? ' 8 pages of "cannot do this or that without banging my head" " cannot eat my dinner without one elbow on the steering wheel the other on the loo door " " cannot reach my specs without everyone in the van playing musical chairs" " cannot have a shower without my bum sticking to the curtain" " cannot go to the loo without climbing over my other half 6 times a night" and on and on and on ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:
[HI]Not one single reply from an RV owner.[/HI].. guess they must be happy with their lot :winky:

Hardly surprising .. you don't give ammunition to the enemy .. :Doh: :roflmto:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Not one single reply from an RV owner... guess they must be happy with their lot :winky:

One recent RV owner admitted that he had problems being towed because there was no towing ring on the van...

£14k of extras on the RV in the 3 years , how can that be happy with their lot?

Can we please put this thread to bed.

I for one am happy with my Eurovan.

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
that is the point - RV's have it all

that is the point - RV's have it all.. I was going to say they are perfect ... but that would launch world war 3 again. But it is true none of those in your list apply even to the smallest American RV.. like my 23'3":winky: .. I still have a bigger bathroom than any european. (mine goes across the back of the RV)

I personally do not want another european box .. yes owned one in the past and also a caravan... so been there had the T shirt... I am selling mine to go to a 29' RV - toy hauler. Why? because it will do what the european motor home's cannot. carry my disabled equipment and still give me the RV luxury. In the past 4 years I have owned my RV I have travelled 11,000 miles... so the cost of fuel is not really an issue for me. My RV is about the size of a european motor home, but I do have a slide and also a lot of goodies. I have answered the post earlier in a reply. I think the problems of selling is the economic state of the UK and Europe is in at this time. As I said yesterday normally at Malvern you would see SOLD signs in the windows of motor homes all over the place. I saw two only on Sunday lunch time. Perhaps there were more or follow on sales will happen. But it was sure quite at the show. Lots of lookers.

I ended up buying another expensive knife and some toilet stuff.... yes I did look at one RV (well Sue did)... but it just did not do it as the storage for the scooters was a little less than we wanted. But the base vehicle was ideal. funny that was a turbo diesel.

I am coming to the end of the 2nd ebay advert and it will go again. 73 watching it.... I suspect all RVOC or MHF members and there have been 3,132 page turns... if nothing else it shows there are people either nosey or have an interest in seeing what happens to the RV.

As said not in a hurry to sell.. if it goes now good if not, then as and when. But I still say it is great value, even more now it has had new brakes and a calliper.. plus all those goodies to haggle over. But even bear bones it has a lot more to offer than an european motor. But this is not an us and them situation. we all enjoy camping in some form or another just we have different standards.... mine are higher:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
that is the point - RV's have it all.. I was going to say they are perfect ... but that would launch world war 3 again. But it is true none of those in your list apply even to the smallest American RV.. like my 23'3":winky: .. I still have a bigger bathroom than any european. (mine goes across the back of the RV)

I personally do not want another european box .. yes owned one in the past and also a caravan... so been there had the T shirt... I am selling mine to go to a 29' RV - toy hauler. Why? because it will do what the european motor home's cannot. carry my disabled equipment and still give me the RV luxury. In the past 4 years I have owned my RV I have travelled 11,000 miles... so the cost of fuel is not really an issue for me. My RV is about the size of a european motor home, but I do have a slide and also a lot of goodies. I have answered the post earlier in a reply. I think the problems of selling is the economic state of the UK and Europe is in at this time. As I said yesterday normally at Malvern you would see SOLD signs in the windows of motor homes all over the place. I saw two only on Sunday lunch time. Perhaps there were more or follow on sales will happen. But it was sure quite at the show. Lots of lookers.

I ended up buying another expensive knife and some toilet stuff.... yes I did look at one RV (well Sue did)... but it just did not do it as the storage for the scooters was a little less than we wanted. But the base vehicle was ideal. funny that was a turbo diesel.

I am coming to the end of the 2nd ebay advert and it will go again. 73 watching it.... I suspect all RVOC or MHF members and there have been 3,132 page turns... if nothing else it shows there are people either nosey or have an interest in seeing what happens to the RV.

As said not in a hurry to sell.. if it goes now good if not, then as and when. But I still say it is great value, even more now it has had new brakes and a calliper.. plus all those goodies to haggle over. But even bear bones it has a lot more to offer than an european motor. But this is not an us and them situation. we all enjoy camping in some form or another just we have different standards.... mine are higher:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

:Eeek:IS THAT ALL YOU HAVE DONE IN 4 YEARS 11,000 miles . now I can see why the Diesel is not a problem to run it/them ...you will find the euroboxes do cover a lot more miles::bigsmile:.and don't need a service, new brake drums, shoes calipers, etc every 500miles....I can do 11,000 a year and more just going to the shops........I have done 20,000 +...in 1 year in our new motorhome.....and our last Motorhome...we did not do as much mileage in the last motorhome had it for two years from new and due to me being in hospital and un-able to drive for about 3 months only managed 33,000 .....so you can see the mpg is an issue for this euro box motorhomer..

But joking apart Bob I can understand you and many other disabled people having an AMERICAN RV and why not :thumb:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)

:Eeek: SO IF THEY HAVE IT ALL HOW COME YOU SPENT 14K ON EXTRAS :Eeek: :Eeek::Eeek:that's 4 k more than my super comfy/ self build cost for entire van ::bigsmile:
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
simples Terry

:Eeek: SO IF THEY HAVE IT ALL HOW COME YOU SPENT 14K ON EXTRAS :Eeek: :Eeek::Eeek:that's 4 k more than my super comfy/ self build cost for entire van ::bigsmile:
terry

The cost of the VanBitz goodies.. like the alarm (There is a very good Ford alarm and immobiliser fitted... but Safeguard wanted the VanBitz fitted on top) ... I wanted a backup camera... so I had the expensive (to expensive) pioneer backup camera and satellite navigation and entertainment (music) all in one system. The NETA satellite TV (the original as supplied in the USA had been removed prior to shipping)... Then add all the extra toys I wanted like air assisted suspension on the rear, the expensive CB with hand-helds and various fitting kits for RV and car etc., wanted a 26" flat screen UK - PAL tv and not the American one that was also 26" which it came with... but on wrong frequency... you have seen the list goes on and on... soon gets to £14k and more... a new set of tyres best part of £1k - all had good tread but slight crakes in the walls.. I change my tyres if there is any slight risk.

The American RV does come very highly spec'd ... it is a fact far in excess of most europeans..

But it gets away Terry from the fact about selling them..... it is a case unless you have hired one in the USA or owned one, most european motor home owners have no idea what is on offer as standard in a yank... You may love your panel van conversion. Not for me. I want real glass (often double glazed), a house hold size fridge with a separate freezer (double doors) that can carry a lot of food. But I want a toilet I can get in to and a real shower room as big as at home. Plus the slide out.. few europeans have that. But Terry that is standard on an RV... the £14k I spent was on the extras I wanted.... I could have used my Wingrad crank up arial and used freeview (do sometimes) .. standard fitting on a yank .. then I would not have needed a free to air satellite dome unit and the 3000 channels.

Bob

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
The cost of the VanBitz goodies.. like the alarm (There is a very good Ford alarm and immobiliser fitted... but Safeguard wanted the VanBitz fitted on top) ... I wanted a backup camera... so I had the expensive (to expensive) pioneer backup camera and satellite navigation and entertainment (music) all in one system. The NETA satellite TV (the original as supplied in the USA had been removed prior to shipping)... Then add all the extra toys I wanted like air assisted suspension on the rear, the expensive CB with hand-helds and various fitting kits for RV and car etc., wanted a 26" flat screen UK - PAL tv and not the American one that was also 26" which it came with... but on wrong frequency... you have seen the list goes on and on... soon gets to £14k and more... a new set of tyres best part of £1k - all had good tread but slight crakes in the walls.. I change my tyres if there is any slight risk.

The American RV does come very highly spec'd ... it is a fact far in excess of most europeans..

But it gets away Terry from the fact about selling them..... it is a case unless you have hired one in the USA or owned one, most european motor home owners have no idea what is on offer as standard in a yank... You may love your panel van conversion. Not for me. I want real glass (often double glazed), a house hold size fridge with a separate freezer (double doors) that can carry a lot of food. But I want a toilet I can get in to and a real shower room as big as at home. Plus the slide out.. few europeans have that. But Terry that is standard on an RV... the £14k I spent was on the extras I wanted.... I could have used my Wingrad crank up arial and used freeview (do sometimes) .. standard fitting on a yank .. then I would not have needed a free to air satellite dome unit and the 3000 channels.

Bob
There are two ways to look at this.......:winky:
Your view....if I have to money and I want it why not treat myself.:thumb:
My view......A fool and his money are soon parted. No Bob I am not suggesting that you are a fool.:Smile:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
There are two ways to look at this.......:winky:
Your view....if I have to money and I want it why not treat myself.:thumb:
My view......A fool and his money are soon parted. No Bob I am not suggesting that you are a fool.:Smile:
Or putting it another way.........We would all be running around in a Suzuki Alto, Heaven Forbid :Doh:.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back