RVs - easy to buy - problem selling? (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2012
Funster No
MH
Mobilvetta Euroyacht
Exp
1996, then break 'til 2011
RVs, especially the larger ones are the ultimate MH - space and comfort, so why are they so hard to sell?

Looked up 'Winnebagos' on ebay to look at slobadoberbobs' latest advert and saw another 2004 Winnebago for sale that was for sale a year ago by the same motor dealer (same distinctive photo with car on trailer), price is £27,000.

I think the price a year ago (when I was looking for a MH) was £29,000 which I thought was reasonable - and it is lpg converted.

Are they just too big?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Are they just too big?

I would say out of sync for Europe. All the RV fraternity have to check if sites can take them before booking. That's assuming they can get there.

Then there is the under 10 mpg.

Whereas Euro-box just turn up.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
No, just a small, and in our current recession, dwindling market

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Glad I got out of RVs 2 years ago I don't think theres any place for them in UK or Europe anymore, most campsites dont want them and at under 10mpg its cheaper to fly.
At Malvern today I was talking to the boss of Travelworld and he said they're not importing anymore RVs and just concentrating on European as he sees no future in Rvs and even thinks they may banned from coming in to the UK soon due to some new legislation. Shame really as I loved my Rvs and still like to see a big rig. But even in USA now there are less and less RVs on the road according to my friends out there and when the biggest RV dealer in Europe packs in the writings on the wall.

Last edited:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they cant be easy to buy and difficult to sell .
if you have bought someone must be selling . ?
yes they might be difficult to import soon .
the option is knowing what you want and get it built on a vehicle here . certainly germany as got well into truck campers . they have truck treffens with hundreds turning up . try a google of truck treffens germany .

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
they cant be easy to buy and difficult to sell .
if you have bought someone must be selling . ?
yes they might be difficult to import soon .
the option is knowing what you want and get it built on a vehicle here . certainly germany as got well into truck campers . they have truck treffens with hundreds turning up . [HI]try a google of truck treffens germany[/HI] .

Tell this to the cowboys at Malvern this weekend and you will probably be challenged to a gun fight at 50 paces. Wash your mouth out.:winky:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
RVs, especially the larger ones are the ultimate MH - space and comfort, so why are they so hard to sell?

Looked up 'Winnebagos' on ebay to look at slobadoberbobs' latest advert and saw another 2004 Winnebago for sale that was for sale a year ago by the same motor dealer (same distinctive photo with car on trailer), price is £27,000.

I think the price a year ago (when I was looking for a MH) was £29,000 which I thought was reasonable - and it is lpg converted.

Are they just too big?

No, it's not because they are too big.

Over the years we've had a number of RV's and they have all sold quickly, even the 37' 12.5 tonnes behemoth that we had a couple of RV's ago.

Our current one Link Removed is only 28' long and under 7 tonnes and is as yet unsold.

Slobadobabob's is also still available and is very small. I think Old Mo's is still for sale and again, is relatively small.

It's not the size, it's the current economic climate.

Houses aren't selling, motorhomes aren't selling (including eurovans) and other high value items are taking longer to sell also.

Of course, let's also factor in that the summer months are not particularly good for selling motorhomes...October is a far better month traditionally :thumb:

Bryan

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
they can play but i dont care . trucks are what many rv,s etc are based on .or buses . .lets get real most euro m,homes are built on builders trucks pretending to be trucks . but dont worry the truth is the truth . it can be painfull .but if ones buying then other must be selling . its easy .
you could try,,, expedition portal ..lots nice campers on there.
there is a life for all motor homes that doesnt exist around only visiting m,home shows . get out and have a look .
its a growing happening as been for years its called having an adventure .
but dont worry i have and will go to shows . had a good time a few years ago with fun at malvern.
followed by a nice time with nigel and pam at the landrover show .
i used to do all the vw shows but now i prefer to save the costs and get away for my adventure most years .

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
I would say out of sync for Europe. All the RV fraternity have to check if sites can take them before booking. That's assuming they can get there.

The eurobox just about goes everywhere........the american Rv nice motorhomes but as Brian as already said..:Doh: OK for the US

Heyupluv

Free Member
Oct 7, 2008
France,
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
touring many years..42+
No, it's not because they are too big.

Over the years we've had a number of RV's and they have all sold quickly, even the 37' 12.5 tonnes behemoth that we had a couple of RV's ago.

Our current one Link Removed is only 28' long and under 7 tonnes and is as yet unsold.

Slobadobabob's is also still available and is very small. I think Old Mo's is still for sale and again, is relatively small.

It's not the size, it's the current economic climate.

Houses aren't selling, motorhomes aren't selling (including eurovans) and other high value items are taking longer to sell also.

Of course, let's also factor in that the summer months are not particularly good for selling motorhomes...October is a far better month traditionally :thumb:

Bryan

Bryan they are over her ....our dealer is choc a bloc with new van paid for waiting to checked to go out......and it has been the same for the last two years.....new new new vans :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
We've owned 5 rv's...

...We've always been able to go anywhere we want to :thumb::Smile:

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
what can you say a big truck gets through a bus gets through .along comes a m,home and suddenly it narrow and tight. along comes the smallest car in the world and its impossible to get through.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Those that have not owned an RV give a very biased unbalanced opinion , those of us that have tugged and experienced Eurovans can perhaps give a more balanced experienced opinion.
We have travelled the UK extensively and have taken several trips on the continent
As far as RVs being unsuitable for the UK , that is a load of tosh
We are at present at Malvern and have travelled through minor country roads to get to various sites on our way here with our Peugeot 107 on A frame behind us.
While various front wheel drive Euro Motorhomes were slipping sliding and getting stuck on the site entrance we just drove in with no problem.
We have travelled NSEW in this country and have had no problem with our RV whatsoever and we are here to stay with the real quality and comfort of motor homing .
As far as RVs not selling , compare this with the vast number of Euro vans on the forecourts and Internet and as a percentage it is likely that sales are equally stagnant as a result of the current financial recession

RVs rule OK :thumb:

PS as far as cowboys at Malvern are concerned, those in their tiny campervans have been miserable in the pouring rain , me in my RV with the luxuries of home have been absolutely fine thank you

Last edited:

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Having owned and without any problems sold RVs, Euros and homebuilds from 38ft down to a VW T4 have come to realise there is a compromise. I love the size and space of an RV but not the fuel consumption. If you are travelling less than 5000 miles per year then an RV is the way to go,but if travelling more than 10000 miles per year as we do then its just not economical. The Merc based Euro we have now we will keep for ever as its a perfect size for touring at 6.8 metres, has the Merc 2.9 turbo diesel engine with auto box, cruise control, black tank loo, tardis like storage with the added advantage of a full size garage with all the luxuries of an RV but without the pain of the cost of fuel and spares. Am also of the opinion that many pay far to much for there campers/RVs in the first place, lining the pockets of dealers and when they come to sell or move on they cant understand why they cant get there money back. Look at the price of a new family car and then see what you will get for it in 5 years time. If its not selling.............Its to dear end of. Nothing to do with whether its an RV or a box of bananas.

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Well I should have my two-penerth ::bigsmile:I think it all comes down to the economy (not MPG:Smile:)THERE are lots of euro vans for sale as well as RVs The only thing RVs have going for them is size,which can be = by the bigger euro which in turn is going to give 20 plus MPG against a RV at 10 mpg.Houses are not selling for anything like they were-loosing 1,000s -(the more the house is worth the more it looses,but at the same time when things pick up the more a house is worth the more it will gain in value)well the same will happen with all M/Hs inc RVs -at the moment nobody wants them simply because they drink fuel at a alarming rate.As to comfort you can make a small euro just as comfy as a big RV:thumb: it comes down to room/size :thumb: You can be comfortable in a small van just as much as a large one ::bigsmile:
The only way to find a RVs true worth today is to stick it on ebay without reserve (bite the bullet) and let it find it's own level at what somebody is going to pay ::bigsmile:
terry

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
The only way to find a RVs true worth today is to stick it on ebay without reserve (bite the bullet) and let it find it's own level at what somebody is going to pay ::bigsmile:
terry

I'm afraid I will have to disagree slightly with this :Smile:

The trouble with ebay (and others) is that you are auctioning it over a very short period...up to 10 days.

Doing as you suggest will only get the highest price offered within that time frame.

I know from experience that an item offered may achieve a bid of 10,000 the first time it is listed but re-list it immediately after the auction finishes and you can get a bid of 15,000.

I'm well aware of the saying that something is only worth what some-one else is prepared to pay...but sometimes just waiting for the RIGHT someone else is the best idea.

Oh, and with regard to RV's not selling and this being because of fuel economy...

Without data to support that RV's sales have dropped more than the sales of non-RV motorhomes I think this is a moot point.

And as RV's fuel economy has always been part of the decision making process I don't see that it is more so now, and therefore I don't think that any potential RV buyer is now thinking differently because of the state of the economy. If they were willing to have a lower MPG vehicle before the depression, then they would be now.

Surely the more like effect of the current climate is that people that would have bought ANY motorhome will now reconsider whether to buy a motorhome at all?

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Bryan, again I can see your point but if it was listed without reserve then it would have sold for the 10k-as it is it will attract bids knowing full well it has a reserve so people do not bid as high if they think it is not going to sell -get my meaning? -Try advertising it with no reserve-or try with the lowest starting bid you will accept,although this may well not be low enough to attract buyers :thumb:::bigsmile:
Have you ever thought the RV buyers are compensating future fuel costs against the price of the RV ? HENCE WANTING VAN FOR LOW MONEY
-When you do self builds you soon learn that a van is only worth what people will pay and you are in a position very like RV owners are in now--against selling as a S/B -builder not a well know make,people are wary of self builds,but on the plus side self builds are usually cheap to buy and run and also get a lot of value for money (like RVs )provided the self build has been made to a good level,not just a bed and sink thrown in the back ::bigsmile:

edit fuel economy is in the minds of most buyers minds now-not just RVs - the simple fact is the bottom has fell out of the market for RVs
terry

Last edited:

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
truth be told, rvs, motorhomes, caravans and statics ( the price of statics have really dropped this year) are not selling well along with houses and big cars, the country is running scared and those with disposable income are hanging on to it, incase they need it as quite often they are still working, have a mortgage and jobs are becoming unstable all over the country.
A lot of folk with spare cash are keeping it as they have already thought about -what if!!!!!! but they would be prepared to get a bargin if they could - how many have been on saying they have between 5 and 10 grand to spend and have had a shock at what the real prices are

Last edited:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
I certainly do not have to check

I certainly do not have to check if I can get on a site.. in the past 4 years of owning my RV, never had a problem in that respect.. only the slideout and awning was 4" to wide for a CCC site.. but have taken it all over Europe with no problems.

Bob:Angry::Angry:

Bryan

Free Member
Jul 19, 2007
Funster No
the simple fact is the bottom has fell out of the market for RVs
terry

Again, without data to back this up I would have to say that if any bottom has fallen it is the whole motorhome market and not just RV's
:Smile:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
The new rules came in April this year

Glad I got out of RVs 2 years ago I don't think theres any place for them in UK or Europe anymore, most campsites dont want them and at under 10mpg its cheaper to fly.
At Malvern today I was talking to the boss of Travelworld and he said they're not importing anymore RVs and just concentrating on European as he sees no future in Rvs and even thinks they may banned from coming in to the UK soon due to some new legislation. Shame really as I loved my Rvs and still like to see a big rig. But even in USA now there are less and less RVs on the road according to my friends out there and when the biggest RV dealer in Europe packs in the writings on the wall.

The new rules came in to force this year in April.. as the new rules cannot be met by most RV makers, there are few new ones being imported. THat is the reason why they are not bringing them in you will find.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Again, without data to back this up I would have to say that if any bottom has fallen it is the whole motorhome market and not just RV's
:Smile:

Again Bryan I can agree to a point ::bigsmile:It is and always has been a smaller market for RVs :Smile:BUYERS for euro vans will be in hundreds ish while buyers for RVS will be in tens ish :winky:Then you have to find someone with cash,but that goes for any van sale.A lot look on fifty quid a week etc from a dealer rather than looking for private funding,it is just the way some people think :Doh:Are you looking to downsize or go bigger/newer? Either way you have to to realalise that you will have to take less,but the plus side is you will have to pay less if buying another RV :winky:
Terry

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Of all the campers both Euro and American I have owned, and have owned more than my share I wish I had 10 of each to sell when it came to selling. Have only lost on one and that was my Tiffin. Having said that I did run it for 6 years and only lost £1800 on it. As have always said it all depends on the model and how much you pay in the beginning. The easiest thing in the world is to pay over the odds for anything. Money has never come easy to me so have always been careful when buying.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Who said 10 mpg , it seems there has to be incorrect information used to back up a flawed opinion
Many RVs are fuelled on LPG mine included . Yes I get 10 mpg on LPG which costs me 66p litre which brings MPG cost to around 18 MPG.
This is not a like for like comparison between larger more complete and comfortable RVs and smaller lighter lower spec motor homes which will naturally be more economical.
I am sure that any campers seeing this thread could insist that carrying their tent in a small car returns 65mpg, again pointless as it is what each individual wants and can afford, they have their tents, you have your EU Motorhome and I have my RV :thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Just found this-What's the betting that this Link Removed sells?
If it is all OK then this is a bargain,but don't forget we have known history vans for sale:thumb: Mo's 30'er with 3 slides and LPG also than Bobs 23'9" Link Removed and Bryans Link Removed
Why am I betting this will sell ? simply because it is well priced and a give-away :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Who said 10 mpg , it seems there has to be incorrect information used to back up a flawed opinion
Many RVs are fuelled on LPG mine included . Yes I get 10 mpg on LPG which costs me 66p litre which brings MPG cost to around 18 MPG.
This is not a like for like comparison between larger more complete and comfortable RVs and smaller lighter [HI]lower spec motor homes [/HI]which will naturally be more economical.
I am sure that any campers seeing this thread could insist that carrying their tent in a small car returns 65mpg, again pointless as it is what each individual wants and can afford, they have their tents, you have your EU Motorhome and I have my RV :thumb:

Bit of a sweeping statement... I have seen one or two RV's which I found rather spartan inside. There are good and bad on both sides. You can't possibly call all Non RV's lower spec or Incomplete or uncomfortable.

Each to his her own....

What I can say that the dealers who I have spoken to will not part exchange an American RV.

Yes the LPG conversion and the cost of that has to be included into the running cost.. From memory are you allowed to take it through Eurotunnel? NOT if its the primary fuel Type.

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
This is not a like for like comparison between larger more complete and comfortable RVs and smaller lighter lower spec motor homes which will naturally be more economical.

Hi Larry I don't think anyone is being incorrect with MPG figures as it is clearly been stated that the figures quoted are for /as guide ::bigsmile::winky:The figures you quote are in my mind reasonable IE 10 mpg on petrol and almost doubling on gas at 18 mpg ::bigsmile:It is when people come on here quoting 15 mpg on petrol and 20 MPG on gas that it become both incorrect and flawed :Doh::winky:
terry

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Just found this-What's the betting that this Link Removed sells?
If it is all OK then this is a bargain,but don't forget we have known history vans for sale:thumb: Mo's 30'er with 3 slides and LPG also than Bobs 23'9" Link Removed and Bryans Link Removed
Why am I betting this will sell ? simply because it is well priced and a give-away :winky:::bigsmile:
terry

The one you highlight terry isnt cheap, it is the average price being asked for a unit with no slides, be that A,B or C class - no slides = cheaper unit on the whole. Its the slides (amount of) and the extra room you get with them when parked up that generally increases the price

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back