takeaflight

Free Member
Sep 4, 2007
Stratford-upon-Avon
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
OK we have a 24 foot Hymer and tow a trailer, in France apart from one occasion we have never been turned away due to size. However some sites can be a driving test to negioate around and on occasions pitches can be a squeeze. But we never travel in the high season and I never plan just turn up and hope for the best.

We are thinking of changing to a 31 foot RV and will be still towing a trailer with car, now what do you guys do ? do you plan ahead and check access and pitch size etc, or just turn up ?

Also does emptying the loo tank, (getting close enough to the waste dump) present many problems ?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
We did France in a 31 footer in the French high season Aug, towing a Hijet mini 6 seater
Just phoned ahead on the day no real probs, going to do it again this year with 36 foot and toad:Eeek:
Macerator an absolute must:thumb: not many French or Spanish RV dump points on sites, nearly all had a small wall surounding them,:Doh: and as we say "it dont flow up hill":ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:and once its in that pipe its only going one way
Geo

Last edited:

moandick

Free Member
Jul 28, 2007
Landrake, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Euro-shed
Exp
40 +
We full-time in a 36ft Cayman towing a Volvo Estate - well over 50ft total length - and yes we do plan ahead a little more than normal but you could also let others take the strain - see <here> or <here>

We also carry a Tot 'n' Tip, (wheeled sewage waste trolley) in addition to the macerator and a long hose - for those sites that are really inaccessible.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

zaskar

Free Member
Sep 25, 2007
UK
Funster No
MH
5th Wheel
Exp
30+
But we never travel in the high season and I never plan just turn up and hope for the best.

We had 2 RV's ( a 32 ft & a 34ft) over 10 years.
For the UK, for weekends away in Britain or Wales, we usually booked ahead due to size.
For a week or 2 up the west coast of Scotland, we NEVER booked ahead and never had a problem. It's a lot quieter up there and to be fair, like you, we usually holiday off peak season cos we dont like crowds- usually last week Aug/first week Sept'.
For France, again, we NEVER booked ahead and never had a problem.
Firstly, France is a heck of a lot better geared up than the UK for camping, even with RV's- and I haven't included the Aires in that statement as I've never found the need/want to use them, secondy, I personally find French campsite owners & wardens a heck of a lot more welcoming and accomodating than your average UK owner/warden.
I have heard on Forums of RV's having problems in France but must admit that I've found it hard to understand because we've simply never experience any problems at all like this.
I can think of just one experience in 10 years where we couldn't get on site due to our size - which was fun cos I then had to reverse between 1/4 and 1/2 a mile back down the narrow twisty entrance lane as there was no where at all to turn round!:Eeek: Cette la vie, as they say, if you can't take a joke...........:ROFLMAO:
Personally, I wouldn't worry about France at all. Just brush up on your French (believe me, even BASIC french is VERY much appreciated and WILL help) and just look forward to visiting a wonderfull country.:thumb:

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back