RV's and Motorbikes (1 Viewer)

M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Hi Everyone,

We have a Damon R.V. and a Motorbike. We are newbies and were wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a solution to us.

Ours is a Damon Daybreak '96 and are looking for the best way to take our Honda Blackbird 1100 weighing 223kg Or 492 lbs along for the journeys that we embark on.

we are considering a box trailor but have seen some R.V. s with large motorbikes attached to a platform that has been custom built and welded to the chais of the R.V.

Could you offer any thought or even someone that might be able to help us?

Thanks in advance, Best Regards,

Mark and Sue

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
They are around, and are able to carry the biggest bikes, you will probably have to import one. But there are plenty here who are experts at importing from the US

rv-motorcycle-carrier-8.jpg

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Hi Mark & Sue

I recieved your pm but have answered in the forum so I could attach a photo.

I do have a Damon Daybreak its a 2004 3270 Front Engine Diesel and I carry a 650cc Kawasaki Versys on a Easylifter Hydraulic Rack on the rear. I spent months trying to find the best way to carry a motorbike & although I went with Easylifter its not perfect but much safer than trying to wheel 200kgs up a ramp.

The Easylifter is rated at 200kgs max and I'd say that would be more than enough in my experience. The Kawasaki weighs 175kgs which the Easylifter handles ok & we've just carried it all over France & Spain.

There are much better racks available from the states but they are very expensive and also very heavy.

The main problem will be the weight on the rear axle and also the gross weight when you're fully loaded. If your Damon is rated at 7500kgs you may as well get a decent box trailer and utilise it for other items as well.

At over 200kgs the Blackbird is a serious bit of kit to hang on the back. I have a FJR 1300 but decided against trying to carry it as its far to heavy to hang on the back. Most of the big bikes you see carried that way are on the back of big diesel pusher RVs.

Hope you find this helpfull pm me if yo need any more.:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Attachments

• bike rack2.jpg
    bike rack2.jpg
    123 KB · Views: 114

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
With that sort of weight bike i would go trailer, but a box trailer will be miles more expensive than an open one so is it really needed to be enclosed?

Have a word with Linda at Stateside Tuning PRESS though as she has sources her parts from the US and is very switched on.

Good luck and welcome to fun.

BTW: have a look at this site as it might be of interest you American RV Owners Club

Last edited:

Chrisdy

Free Member
Sep 24, 2008
Dorset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
With a bike of that weight I would not attempt to carry it on a platform with the entire weight hanging off the back, especially if you have a large overhang. I had a hydraulic Easylifter for use with a Suzuki Burgman 400 that was just under 200kg. While the RV took the weight, the platform did bounce about alarmingly and I considered it to be on the limit for the Easylifter. Easylifter used to do a 'front wheel lifter' towing assy for heavier bikes. Now discontinued, but you may be able to get one s/h. Much easier to store than a trailer, and avoids all the weight on the suspension. Details are on their website: easylifter.co.uk

OP
OP
M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Good advice and thank you!

Hi all,

Thank you so much for the advice, really good food for thought, Jims Cruiserlift looks great but I think that a trailer is going to be the safest way to go. I have just checked a quote for the ferry (P&O) from Dover to Calais and got a price of £157 each way with a decent size trailer attached which I thought was good.

I am looking to have 2 LPG tanks stuffed under the rear too so that will add to the total weight. I think that the 226Kg of the bike is going to be just too much for a rack/platform.

If I go for a trailer then I would go for a box version simply because If I'm going to tow, I might as well use it for storage as Forestboy mentioned. I'll have somewhere to put the golf clubs too! lol

Thanks so much for the advice guys, I will take it happily and run to the nearest quaity trailer dealer.

Best Regards,

Mark.

potjoe

Free Member
Aug 27, 2007
Telford
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
two year
A box trailer

Go for the box trailer as the bike will keep clean.

OP
OP
M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Bike Cleaning

I think you might have hit the nail on the head there, sue has so many other tasks without having to clean the bike more often. Hehehehehehe! :ROFLMAO:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
Another alternative to a trailer is a trailed platform. Hinged to the towbar/bumper it can fold up out of the way when bike is off. can have one or two wheels to take the load. Single wheel version shown.
Link Removed

click on the photo to enlarge.

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Wheels!

Hi wildman,

Good idea, I looked at those earlier this evening, I'm sure its safe but I thought it looked a little funny with the wheel coming down... Showed sue and she said "Not putting that on the back of our house!" lol.

Think the decision is made though, going to need the extra storage when totally full time.

Best Regards,

Mark.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
I have 3 x 100 litre LPG tanks and don't really notice them.

Patrick

Free Member
Nov 18, 2007
Liverpool
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 year....Love it!
Hi Everyone,

We have a Damon R.V. and a Motorbike. We are newbies and were wondering if anyone might be able to suggest a solution to us.

Ours is a Damon Daybreak '96 and are looking for the best way to take our Honda Blackbird 1100 weighing 223kg Or 492 lbs along for the journeys that we embark on.

we are considering a box trailor but have seen some R.V. s with large motorbikes attached to a platform that has been custom built and welded to the chais of the R.V.

Could you offer any thought or even someone that might be able to help us?

Thanks in advance, Best Regards,

Mark and Sue

Hi Mark & Sue

hears mine it weighs 285 kgs and sits on the rack fine!

Last edited:
OP
OP
M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Here's Mine?

Hi Patrick,

Thanks mate but can't see the link???

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Hi Patrick,

Thanks mate but can't see the link???
And he forgot to mention his is a Diesel pusher with Air suspension, makes a huge difference, and of course you cant see the link, Patrick's a computer techie too:Doh::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
Geo

OP
OP
M

Mark&Sue

Deleted User
Pusher!

:ROFLMAO: Yes Geo, I should have known! lol.....

:ROFLMAO:

Pat4Neil

Free Member
Sep 28, 2008
Essex
Funster No
MH
Mercedes
Exp
7 years
Hi Mark and Sue

I would definetely go down the box trailer route, firstly security, keeping the bike clean and storing stuff specially due to you full timing.

regards
Pat & Neil

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back