Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
or is that a fibber

Stop fooling yourselves, the truth is, that when driven frugally RVs return between 7-14 mpg. Euro coach between 17-28 mpg and the VW California’s when driven much less frugally will return between 35-56 mpg. Anything else is as a result of the psychological phenomenon known as the Hawthorne effect. Sorry ...............:ROFLMAO:

or is it Buttons a fibber???? (what VW do to the gallon):ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Bob:Blush:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
well mine certainly does 14 to 15 mpg

Never had an RV but I will stand by the other two. Do you think that I was being a bit over generous with the RV average. Should I revise it down do you think. :winky:

Buttons.. hand on heart I get between 14 and 15 mpg including my generator use.. so I suspect if I excluded that I may be getting over 15 mpg... but remember my RV is only 23'9" long and has the E350 Ford super duty chassis and cab .. some of the 35' long RV's have the same power plant... i.e the Ford Triton V10 6.8 ltr petrol engine.. 5 speed auto... at 5 tons all up and at 7.6 tons mass I am a baby compared to some, so my consumption will be well less than say a 40' RV.

Bob:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
Buttons.. hand on heart I get between 14 and 15 mpg including my generator use.. so I suspect if I excluded that I may be getting over 15 mpg... but remember my RV is only 23'9" long and has the E350 Ford super duty chassis and cab .. some of the 35' long RV's have the same power plant... i.e the Ford Triton V10 6.8 ltr petrol engine.. 5 speed auto... at 5 tons all up and at 7.6 tons mass I am a baby compared to some, so my consumption will be well less than say a 40' RV.
Bob:thumb:
Now if you were using US gallons for your conversion that would be excellent.:winky:
That v10 sounds like a beast.
Changing the subject slightly, chatting to my son earlier, he had just arrived in New York from Chicago. I asked him what MPG he got for the trip. He said his trip comp gave an average of 29 which is much better than the 16-17 he gets in town. I was impressed with that but then though his trip comp would calculate in US gallons which would make it better still. Would be interesting to know what an RV does to a US gallon.:Eeek:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
OK I'm 8 hours behind you lot but here is my two pennorth for what its worth .::bigsmile:

The truth about motorhome mpg is that it does whatever you wish it would do :winky:

Yous all a bunch of dreamers , pink spectickles , head in the clouds . :ROFLMAO:

30 mpg from a square box thats about as aerodynamic as a house brick , gedoff :ROFLMAO:

Go on Buttons , give it to em :thumb::thumb:

Now my RV on LPG with methane connecting pipes to front seats does at least 20 mpg when we been on the baked beans :Cool:
honnest guv :thumb:

kex66

Free Member
Jan 29, 2012
cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Although Geo's calculations are entirely accurate, he has failed to take into account all of the trips made by a Euro Box owner to the hospitals A & E Dept for accidents occuring from banging your head, elbows and tripping over stuff due to the lack of space.:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::hardhat:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Now if you were using US gallons for your conversion that would be excellent.:winky:
That v10 sounds like a beast.
Changing the subject slightly, chatting to my son earlier, he had just arrived in New York from Chicago. I asked him what MPG he got for the trip. He said his trip comp gave an average of 29 which is much better than the 16-17 he gets in town. I was impressed with that but then though his trip comp would calculate in US gallons which would make it better still. Would be interesting to know what an RV does to a US gallon.:Eeek:

US Miles Buttons:Doh:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
UK mile and USA mile are = but UK gallon = 4.5 ltrs while USA gallon = 3.8 ltrs Geo will do the maths and make it sound OK :thumb:::bigsmile:
Just an after thought seeing how the RVs are from US does that mean they only do 6 / 8 mpg(us:winky:) instead of the claimed 10 / 14 ::bigsmile:
terry

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
Further to my previous post, the aerodynamics of an RV are such that they cut through the air, like a hot knife in butter. Do you really think that the petrol tanker that follows behind my RV is there for refuelling ? If you do, then you would be wrong. The way our RV moves forward in fact, because of the sleek shape, actually gets into a negative situation and the hose between the RV and the petrol tanker is, in fact pumping back the petrol created. :whatthe:

There now, you learn something every day. :Blush:

OP
OP
Geo

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
I was keeping that a secret Mike
You do realise that RVs will become as common as muck now dont ya

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i thought it was a sewage tanker following . .sucking out the ---- that some are talking .
now that makes sense.
crash hat going on now hee hee .

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
very careless of you Mike

Opppppppppps, sorry. :Blush:

That was a bit careless Mike of you.. now they all know.. that blue hose that comes out of the locker is the fuel overload pipe it is not the sewerage pipe as some think.:Blush:

All they see is a big vehicle they fail to understand the dynamics of them.. things we take for granted and have been on RV's for 25 years plus are only just starting to appear on the most expensive euroboxes.. Hymers will be a further 25 years behind the standard euro box. JJ has to rely on beans... to make his go faster... I rest my case gentlemen.:winky:

Bob

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
never mind get a chinese version .they are quite happily driving electric trucks and buses . shame the western world is so far behind . hee hee.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back