Rv Tyres

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by Geo, Sep 19, 2007.

1. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Well following Keith's escapades at the weekend, I was forced into taking a "real" look at my tyres, and it came as no great shock to discover that they were well overdue for a change, I had been putting it of since the purchase of the RV given that they had only done 23000 miles, but the signs were there for all to see, the tread areas were as new but the sidewalls left an awful lot to be desired, with cracking visible on all tyres, the rears being the worst,the front showed early signs and will kept as reasonable spares, possibly carried on the Moroccan trip, but if anyone wants to buy one off me in Morocco, they will be thousands of pound each:Rofl1:
    After biting the bullet, 6 new shiny Firestones arrived at my Garage door today, the first difference i noticed was how oily and plyable the rubber was on the new tyres.
    compared with the old, which are very dry and hard, I cant however find a manf date on the new ones, has this practice ceased?
    Any hoo, help will now be reqd to Carry the RV to the next meet, as due to cost :Eeek:these tyres aren't seeing Tarmac, ever!!!!
    Geo

2. superk

superk Read Only Funster

Fitted 6 new Good Year tyres to the RV last year - all dated - thought it was a legal requirement now - are they UK sourced?

3. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

UK sourced? yes, and made in the good ole US of A???????

4. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Just changed first tyre, dont know what they normaly charge but it aint enough:Wacko:
    Geo

5. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

Don't envy you that job.

6. johnsandywhite

johnsandywhite Read Only Funster

:Eek!: Now that is strange. Because the Michelins that are sourced in the USA are made in the UK. :Eeek:

7. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

I do hope the cost of these tyres came out of your baccy allowance and not Pammy's clothing allowance :Rofl1::Rofl1:

8. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

No Sharon, Baccy allowance safe, Pammy's donated half her Gin allowance
    Just read your chineese tyre thread, please tell me Nan Hook is a little town in America:Rofl1:
    Geo

9. Tony Santara

Tony Santara Funster

Talking about tyres i had one blow out on me at the weekend on M5 motorway,clocking about 65 mph when it let go.
    been keeping an eye on my tyres for deterioration couldn't see any
    anybody heard of Maxmiler tyres just replaced my blown one with one, came highly recommended from my local tyre shop that i've used for years

10. American Dream

American Dream Read Only Funster

11. Pammy

Pammy Read Only Funster

Geo Said "No Sharon, Baccy allowance safe, Pammy's donated half her Gin allowance"

After last weekend's hangover, I told you, NO MORE BOOZE so that means you can have the full allowance. So then, just to weigh it all up...

I no longer smoke (gave up August 10th this year)
    I no longer eat (lost 3 stone over the last year)
    I no longer drink :cry:

Just don't expect me to give up sh*****g! that would be just too much to bear:Rofl1::Rofl1:

Pam

12. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

shouting? you can say shouting :Laughing:

13. johnsandywhite

:RollEyes: If you don't eat? You don't need to do the above? :Rofl1:

14. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

News to me:Eeek: I thought she gave that up 20 years ago
    Geo

15. kands

kands Read Only Funster

You will get enough puffing and blowing fitting those tyres mate, don't worry :Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:
    Nice one Geo.....

Keith

16. motoroamin

motoroamin Read Only Funster

And here's a pic of the sort of cracking you can get with ageing tyres:

[​IMG]

17. johnsandywhite

:Blush: Nearly as bad as ours on the Newmar. :RollEyes:

18. RockieRV

RockieRV Deleted User

Time to change John, but be weary of the chinese imports. :Wink:

19. Geo

Geo Trader - Funster

Well after fitting the two fronts I decided on leaving the rears till Saturday, and spent time researching the correct tyre pressures to suit the RV,
    I found and underwent a 3 hr American coarse on Matched tyre mounting:Cool:
    only to discover that according to the tyre manufactures I had fitted the front two totally wrong:Doh:
    there are carefully laid down procedures for fitting RV tyres, and the UK method is somewhat lacking compared to the time and checks carried out using the US methods, so come Saturday the fronts came off again and all 6 were remounted the US way,still cant find a definitive answer to tyre pressure,
    during the change over I discovered a flat i didn't know i had, o/s/rear inner only19lbs and the o/s/rear outer had what i thought was a cut, but in fact turned out to be separation of the top cap due to overloading and over heating, caused by the inner being flat and the outer carrying all the load, the RV in rel terms only needed 4 tyres as it turned out, one inner and one front tyre were unaffected by cracking and are very good spares the other front has minimal cracks and may well run on for a few more miles, the remaining three show clear and unmistakable signs of UV/age fatigue, comparing the remaining tread depth with the new tyres it was clear these type of tyres are good for 100,000 miles and then can be re grooved, but for the fatigue these tyres had another 75000 mile left in them, very frustrating, you may scoff if in the future you see me actually using the UV protectors that came with the RV here in the UK, I will be happy to explain their use verses the cost of replacement
    Geo
    Rather than just bin the three tyres with cracking is any one desperate for a spare
    I would be happy the fit them to my own as a get you home fix, but not recomended for prolonged use (225x70x19.5)
    UK Premier Tyre Fitter:thumb:

20. RichardnGill

RichardnGill Read Only Funster

Hi Geo, I have worked with comercial tyres for more years than I care to remember, but I am not sure what you are worried about with the fitment of your front tyres. What do they do in the USA that we dont?

If anyone needs there own tyres fitting in the North east I could help them out no problem and possably get the front balanced if required too.

Richard...