Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
So we have taken the plunge and sold our euro a class and bought an RV
I've tried plugging it into the mains at home, however it keeps tripping the fuse for thw circuit that the house socket is on.
I tried having it plugged in and then flicking the trip in tne house back on, but then this trips the switch in the RV.
Does anyone have any clue what could be causing this, and what I can do?
Was always fine with our other motorhomes and caravan over the years.

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Hmm... sounds like you either have a 'short' somewhere in the wiring or you have some electrical equipment running that exceeds the max current of the circuit breakers?

(can only be one of the two alternatives)

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I had the same problem on a fifth wheel in the States. The household circuit was rated at 15 amps, the RV at 30 amps. Even though there was nothing turned on in the RV, I had to plug it into the circuit for the washing machines and tumble drier as the ordinary household circuit breaker kept tripping.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I'm pretty sure everything is switched off. Correct me if im wrong but i fired up the on board generator and nothing other than lights and microwave to stand-by came on.
Sounds like a short maybe then. Is there an easy way to find this?

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I had the same problem on a fifth wheel in the States. The household circuit was rated at 15 amps, the RV at 30 amps. Even though there was nothing turned on in the RV, I had to plug it into the circuit for the washing machines and tumble drier as the ordinary household circuit breaker kept tripping.

Ah so it could be because I'm plugging it into the garage which is rated too low, so try a diffent socket within the house?

wingman

Free Member
Feb 10, 2013
Romford, Essex
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt Lo-Profile
Exp
Since 2012
Continental reverse polarity??????

C

Chockswahay

Deleted User
Sounds like a short maybe then. Is there an easy way to find this?

A multi meter across the pins on the outlet (with everything turned off !) should not show any continuity unless there is a short somewhere.

As it happens do you have an alternative cable ? the fault might be there?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
So we have taken the plunge and sold our euro a class and bought an RV
I've tried plugging it into the mains at home, however it keeps tripping the fuse for thw circuit that the house socket is on.

I wonder if much of the electrics are still 110V and there is a massive transformer dropping 240 to 110 ?

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
A multi meter across the pins on the outlet (with everything turned off !) should not show any continuity unless there is a short somewhere.

As it happens do you have an alternative cable ? the fault might be there?

The cable is like built in so is wired directly in and wound up in a locker. I havent actually needed to use a normal hook up.
This cable had the correct connector obviously so was installed, i would imagine, when it was imported and converted 8 years ago

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
The step down transformer is surging...a common problem.

Turn off ALL the trips in the rv including the main breaker.
Plug into the mains hookup socket in garage or house and switch on..
Turn on the 120v main switch.
Turn on each 120v breaker in turn.

Usually the hookup will trip, when you reset that the rv mainswitch will trip reset that and the hookup will trip again and so on.
Next time you plug in it will probably work first time.
Mostly pot luck.

If it becomes persistent you can buy a soft start unit which absorbs the power surge preventing false tripping.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
I wonder if much of the electrics are still 110V and there is a massive transformer dropping 240 to 110 ?

I'm not sure. I know there are plently on uk sockets around the van. There is air con and a microwave, but havent switched on either of these as yet

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
UK ring mains are usually 32amps.
The rv at 30amps is at 120v....at UK voltage it is 15amps.

Sep 16, 2010
Bungay Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Autotrail TrackerEKS
Exp
Since 2010
Some one hasn't left the oven, water heater, air-con or anything left plugged in have they ?????
Good luck..

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
RV's are famous for tripping site electrics. But Johns solutions above are spot on. (y)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Years ago when we use to mains conversions on RV's se used. Soft start relay as John refers to.

The easiest way to do this now is to buy a soft start relay designed to go in line when installing outside patio halogen heaters.

That will cure the problem

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins
Depends who converted it in the first place, I have seen some frightening conversions including hidden yellow 110v site box's painted black with handles cut off, I would get it checked by someone like Eddie or Duncan to make sure all is good to start with, I have never had a problem with a properly converted RV though some have.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Depends who converted it in the first place, I have seen some frightening conversions including hidden yellow 110v site box's painted black with handles cut off, I would get it checked by someone like Eddie or Duncan to make sure all is good to start with, I have never had a problem with a properly converted RV though some have.

There is nothing inherently wrong with a 'site' box transformer used for a conversion.. it's what I had in my RV.... yes, I occasionally suffered trips when switching on...

if yours never trips then it is probably fitted with a soft start transformer.. or a surge limiter..

You can retro fit an anti surge device.. I posted this on RVOC 6 years ago

A common problem caused by the inrush current..
Airlink do a transformer fitted with a limiter .. or fit your own

SL32 Series Inrush Current Limiters - bigAmp

A 'properly converted' RV would not use a 110v / 230v transformer.. it would be converted to 230v .. with all new 230v appliances.. few are done like this due to costs

The other point I made was, the type of CB fitted in a domestic Dis Board is Type B , which isn't intended for inductive loads.. ie transformers.. that is the reason it trips.. nothing to do with it being a 'site' transformer

It's not so much to do with the site MCB rating , ie 6 - 10 or 16A but the type of circuit breaker.. without boring you and sounding like an anorak there are three different types used depending on duty ..

Type B - trips between 3 and 5 time full load current ( Most common, found in domestic installations. )

Type C - trips between 5 and 10 times full load current ( For inductive loads, ie transformers etc )

Type D - trips between 10 and 20 times full load current ( Motor starting)

hth

Jim

Last edited:
OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
The step down transformer is surging...a common problem.

Turn off ALL the trips in the rv including the main breaker.
Plug into the mains hookup socket in garage or house and switch on..
Turn on the 120v main switch.
Turn on each 120v breaker in turn.

Usually the hookup will trip, when you reset that the rv mainswitch will trip reset that and the hookup will trip again and so on.
Next time you plug in it will probably work first time.
Mostly pot luck

Thank so much to everyone for all the replies.

so I tried this and had everything working. I've come back now and it had tripped again and i cant seem to get it to stay hooked up without tripping even though I've done exactly the same thing many times.
I'm not sure how long it stated hooked up before tripping but it was enough to charge the leisure batteries from 1/3 to 2/3.
does this sound like i definitely need a surge protector or soft start unit?

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
If I have read your posts correctly, you have only just picked this up, I would suggest talking to the seller to see if they had a similar issue, he might have your answer. Did you see it on charge?

Reactions: CWH

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Surge issues happen at plug in, looks like you may have an issue elsewhere causing the trip

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Was it the EARTH LEAKAGE trip that goes or the fuse replacement trips, if it was the ELT then look for loose wiring in the lead or maybe even water it only take a tiny leak to make them go. If the overload trips then something is allowing the current to go somewhere to be used.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
If I have read your posts correctly, you have only just picked this up, I would suggest talking to the seller to see if they had a similar issue, he might have your answer. Did you see it on charge?
He had not ever plugged it in. He barely used it due to a change in circumstances. We kniw him and he has emailed the dealer he bought it from but awaiting a reply! It has been in the uk sonce 2006

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Was it the EARTH LEAKAGE trip that goes or the fuse replacement trips, if it was the ELT then look for loose wiring in the lead or maybe even water it only take a tiny leak to make them go. If the overload trips then something is allowing the current to go somewhere to be used.
It is causing the house to trip and then what i think is the main trip in the rv. When i just tried again there was a flash from behind the trip in the rv.

OP
OP
errpaul

errpaul

Free Member
Feb 27, 2009
Wiltshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
11 yrs
Maybe could be that simple......fire up the onboard genny and everything works ok, no trip, no problems.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
There is nothing inherently wrong with a 'site' box transformer used for a conversion..
Not going to argue the point Jim, but a yellow site box is aimed at high current, short period operation.
not designed for prolonged/constant use.
it even states this in the operators blurb with a new box.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back