Rv security (1 Viewer)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
You will see from my avatar that I run an A class RV. Following the current thread on motorhome security , straps on doors, the issues are different with an RV. With only one entry door which has two locks , one being a deadlock, forced entry would probably be difficult.
I do question security on the sliding windows , they appear to be relatively easy to force open, their main protection being that they are about 6ft from the ground and you would need a ladder to get in.
Does anyone know of any RV break ins and preventative measures ?

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

when my sliding windows are closed there is no way, short of smashing the glass, and even that would be a challenge as they are dual paned.. that you could force them open, the lock is very substantial, perhaps they are different from yours ..

However, if you want to leave open for ventilation, say 2 or 4 inches, there is nothing to stop them being opened fully .. to overcome that I put a piece of dowel rod in the bottom runner groove, this stops them being opened further. You could also make a stopper and screw it into the groove.

jim

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Drop something in the gutter of your sliding windows and that will make it very difficult to open them. I have some strong u shaped strips of aluminium, they fit the slot perfectly but you could use anything that will fit in the gutter, some people use dowel.

As for your deadlocks, they are useless because they can be operated with a key from the outside, this makes them vulnerable. Most burglars will get in quicker than you can with your key. If you wildcamp you should fit internal bolts that cannot be operated from the outside. This is a good idea even if you don't wild camp.

See my signature, I wrote a book about Motorhome security::bigsmile: Its an ebook, you could be reading it in minutes and the paltry £6.75 goes towards running motorhomeFun:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Drop something in the gutter of your sliding windows and that will make it very difficult to open them. I have some strong u shaped strips of aluminium, they fit the slot perfectly but you could use anything that will fit in the gutter, some people use dowel.

As for your deadlocks, they are useless because they can be operated with a key from the outside, this makes them vulnerable. Most burglars will get in quicker than you can with your key. If you wildcamp you should fit internal bolts that cannot be operated from the outside. This is a good idea even if you don't wild camp.

See my signature, I wrote a book about Motorhome security::bigsmile: Its an ebook, you could be reading it in minutes and the paltry £6.75 goes towards running motorhomeFun:thumb:

Jim
can I assume the motorhome security handbook is partly specific to RVs

Larry

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Jim
can I assume the motorhome security handbook is partly specific to RVs

Larry

The Security Handbook is specific to all motorhomes and owners in all situations at home and abroad. Buy it, there is a no quibble money back guarantee if you are not happy with it.:thumb:

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
The Security Handbook is specific to all motorhomes and owners in all situations at home and abroad. Buy it, there is a no quibble money back guarantee if you are not happy with it.:thumb:

Thanks Jim

marmionassoc

Free Member
Oct 26, 2009
Funster No
Sliding Window Security

Jim

The dowel in the channel/gutter works well for the cab window on my A-class BUT the lounge and bedroom windows both have the channel on the OUTSIDE.

Any ideas for securing these?

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Leeds West Riding of York
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
You will see from my avatar that I run an A class RV. Following the current thread on motorhome security , straps on doors, the issues are different with an RV. With only one entry door which has two locks , one being a deadlock, forced entry would probably be difficult.
I do question security on the sliding windows , they appear to be relatively easy to force open, their main protection being that they are about 6ft from the ground and you would need a ladder to get in.
Does anyone know of any RV break ins and preventative measures ?

We have fitted a wireless perimeter Alarm. Catch the thieves before they can gain entry to your van and before they can damage your van.
pudseykeith.

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
[/U]

We have fitted a wireless perimeter Alarm. Catch the thieves before they can gain entry to your van and before they can damage your van.
pudseykeith.

Hi Keith What sort of price was it and have you got a manufacturers name or a link and is it effective
Ta Larry

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Leave it low on fuel at 8 mpg they will not take it far :ROFLMAO:
terry

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
It's always low on fuel I can't afford to fill it up ::bigsmile:

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi Keith What sort of price was it and have you got a manufacturers name or a link and is it effective
Ta Larry

Hi Larry. Yes it is very effective. All openings are covered by electronic shock detectors. The sensitivity is adjustable . I am prepairing a meal at the moment. Will post latter.I did a post on the RV site. Will copy it and post on the fun. :thumb:

Pudseykeith

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Larry. Yes it is very effective. All openings are covered by electronic shock detectors. The sensitivity is adjustable . I am prepairing a meal at the moment. Will post latter.I did a post on the RV site. Will copy it and post on the fun. :thumb:

Pudseykeith

Thanks Keith

pudseykeith

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
6 Years
Hi Larry. The system was bought through one of my sons businesses. the cost depends on how many areas you want to protect. It will expand to cover 33 zones, enough to protect a small business or a large RV.
The system comes from
Risco group,Commerce House,Whitbrook Way,
Stakehill distribution Park,
Middleton, Manchester
M24 2SS
0161 6555500
RISCO Group - Creating Security Solutions. With Care. | Home

This wireless alarm is now fitted. It dos everything it says on the tin ! It has 3 separate partitions [ I only use two ]
Each pertision can be set separately off the same panel. I use one for the living quarters and another for the garage. The third could be use to secure belly lockers. Each can be set and unset separately.
The two garage doors can be left set at the same time as the habitation is being used as normal.
The sensitivity of the wireless shocks sensors can be adjusted from hiper sensitive down to whatever is needed to protect the zone been covered. It has 33 seperate zones. The sounders are also wireless. The system can be set and unset from the panel, a remote panel, and by a key fob. The system also incorporates a monitored wireless smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector and a panic button. All this and not a wire to be found.
The back up batterys in the panel run the system for about a day without a mains supply. To overcome this problem I have fitted a 150w inverter[ a smaller one would do the same job] We have 3 x 110 amp batterys on board and we have run the alarm of the house batterys for over a week without any noticable effect on the batterys. We do have solar pannels on the roof witch keep the batterys fully charged.
The panel has also 2 separate relays that are designed to be inc into a wired applications if needed. I have used one to feed a relay that will, when wired up, flash the head lamps or the indi flashers. The programming of the system is a bit tricky, understanding the jargon, but the phone help line was first class.
I hope this helps larry. :thumb:

Regards Pudseykeith and Rosalie

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Hi Larry. The system was bought through one of my sons businesses. the cost depends on how many areas you want to protect. It will expand to cover 33 zones, enough to protect a small business or a large RV.
The system comes from
Risco group,Commerce House,Whitbrook Way,
Stakehill distribution Park,
Middleton, Manchester
M24 2SS
0161 6555500
RISCO Group - Creating Security Solutions. With Care. | Home

This wireless alarm is now fitted. It dos everything it says on the tin ! It has 3 separate partitions [ I only use two ]
Each pertision can be set separately off the same panel. I use one for the living quarters and another for the garage. The third could be use to secure belly lockers. Each can be set and unset separately.
The two garage doors can be left set at the same time as the habitation is being used as normal.
The sensitivity of the wireless shocks sensors can be adjusted from hiper sensitive down to whatever is needed to protect the zone been covered. It has 33 seperate zones. The sounders are also wireless. The system can be set and unset from the panel, a remote panel, and by a key fob. The system also incorporates a monitored wireless smoke alarm and a carbon monoxide detector and a panic button. All this and not a wire to be found.
The back up batterys in the panel run the system for about a day without a mains supply. To overcome this problem I have fitted a 150w inverter[ a smaller one would do the same job] We have 3 x 110 amp batterys on board and we have run the alarm of the house batterys for over a week without any noticable effect on the batterys. We do have solar pannels on the roof witch keep the batterys fully charged.
The panel has also 2 separate relays that are designed to be inc into a wired applications if needed. I have used one to feed a relay that will, when wired up, flash the head lamps or the indi flashers. The programming of the system is a bit tricky, understanding the jargon, but the phone help line was first class.
I hope this helps larry. :thumb:

Regards Pudseykeith and Rosalie
Hi Keith and Rosalie
looks a good system especially as it's wireless. We are at present looking to replace our RV with a later model, yet to be decided, so will consider this system for the new one.

Many thanks Larry & Win

Boo

Free Member
Jan 26, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
A cls
Exp
9 years
A moat and drawbridge will keep the buggers out.:thumb:

And if you are an M.P you can claim it on your expenses :ROFLMAO:

I have a clifford all zones alarm system which covers the door, lockers and windows pluse I have put deadlocks top and bottom of the door which can only be seen and used from the inside, on top of all that I am a nasty sod when provoked lol!

Being a deafie for a lot of years I am also very sensitive to vibrations and change in room pressure so not alot gets by me...............I even feel helicopters when they fly overhead at 1000ft but strangley not birds ::bigsmile:

Boo

OP
OP
Larrynwin
Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
And if you are an M.P you can claim it on your expenses :ROFLMAO:

I have a clifford all zones alarm system which covers the door, lockers and windows pluse I have put deadlocks top and bottom of the door which can only be seen and used from the inside, on top of all that I am a nasty sod when provoked lol!

Being a deafie for a lot of years I am also very sensitive to vibrations and change in room pressure so not alot gets by me...............I even feel helicopters when they fly overhead at 1000ft but strangley not birds ::bigsmile:

Boo

Ssshh thats politics . I will look at that one, Thanks

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back