RV: No 12v on hookup (1 Viewer)

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Right, just to cut down on the options I have removed the leisure Battery completely.

No change to the readings at the parallax converter and no lights etc. working still.

I put the meter across the battery terminals now that the battery is removed and get no voltage at all.

I don't even know if I should to be honest.

Anyway, surely the fact that the battery is now removed and it made no difference means that the fault definately lies elsewhere and it cannot be the dead battery affecting the system?

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Anyway, surely the fact that the battery is now removed and it made no difference means that the fault definately lies elsewhere and it cannot be the dead battery affecting the system?

Do we assume the yanks use chassis as a common negative ground ?

If so stick the neg of your meter to ground somewhere. Now measure:
With the battery out.

1. The battery terminal +
2. The battery terminal -
3. The converter +
4. The converter -

If 2 is 0V then switch to resistance - measure ground to battery terminal - this should be zero.
if 4 is 0V then measure resistance converter neg to ground - should be zero.

Let's have you figures.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.
Well not again !

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Do we assume the yanks use chassis as a common negative ground ?

If so stick the neg of your meter to ground somewhere. Now measure:
With the battery out.

1. The battery terminal +
2. The battery terminal -
3. The converter +
4. The converter -

If 2 is 0V then switch to resistance - measure ground to battery terminal - this should be zero.
if 4 is 0V then measure resistance converter neg to ground - should be zero.

Let's have you figures.

FAILURE IS NOT AN OPTION.
Well not again !

Just for complete clarity and my sanity - 1 & 2 refer to the leads that were connected to the battery and not the actual battery I assume?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Hi all...

Simon here, son of Geo...

As has been suggested a faulty bat will upset charger so disconnect bats and use a single known good one.

Stinks of an Earth prob at first wiff... If not earth at Bat then another earth somewhere. Remember there are many parralel paths to earth through the many systems so where the earth is being measured is critical.

I would be checking voltage from +ve of Bat to every part of earth at bat and chassis and any other earth related to 12V - especially charger.
I would then do opposite and check -ve of bat to every +ve in system.
Both using a 'wander' lead so the initial location of +ve and -ve remains constant.

This should then give a measurement somwhere of 0v and indicate whether a +ve or -ve is 'missing'.

Question - When you attach the outside charger, do you connect it to the bat terminals - if not do so and see if it makes a difference.
That should give you something to go on.

You'll probably find the fault during this exercise. :thumb:

Sim

Thanks Simon but you didn't neet to type all that up..you could have pooped round and told me in person...
...in the RV
...over a cuppa
...and a multimeter
...until we sorted it :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can I just check that a 'wander' lead is just a loooooong wire intended for fixing one end and 'wandering' around so that one of the meter probes can be connected to the remote, fixed, point for all readings - EG so that the red probe can be 'attcahed' to the same battery terminal for all readings all over the bus?

I will assume it is and go make one now :thumb:

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Thanks Simon but you didn't neet to type all that up..you could have pooped round and told me in person...
...in the RV
...over a cuppa
...and a multimeter
...until we sorted it :thumb::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Can I just check that a 'wander' lead is just a loooooong wire intended for fixing one end and 'wandering' around so that one of the meter probes can be connected to the remote, fixed, point for all readings - EG so that the red probe can be 'attcahed' to the same battery terminal for all readings all over the bus?

I will assume it is and go make one now :thumb:

:thumb::thumb:

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Right, just to cut down on the options I have removed the leisure Battery completely.

No change to the readings at the parallax converter and no lights etc. working still.

I put the meter across the battery terminals now that the battery is removed and get no voltage at all.

I don't even know if I should to be honest.

Some electronic devices/chargers detect the presence of a load eg battery..and shut town if it isn't there (effectively an open circuit)

I'd personally swap the battery temporarily with another known good one.

Then see what happens.

OP
OP
X

Xoxoc

Deleted User
Thanks for all the replies...It WAS an eartch problem in the end :RollEyes:

Three earth wires (two from the dc side and 1 from the ac side) go through the floor under the transformer and attach to the chassis. I say 'attach' what I really mean is 'hang around in the vicinity of'.

New earth point done and all is well again.

(Apart from nuking the battery, killing the battery charger, plunging myself into darkness (if you ignore the bright flash) turning my meter probes black and tripping the mcb and rcd in the rv, the mcb and rcd in the garage and the mcb in the house and nearly taking out the street :ROFLMAO:)

Fun this sparking stuff isn't it ::bigsmile:

Now...onto my relay project :Cool:

Jim

Ringleader
Jul 19, 2007
Sutton on Sea, UK
Funster No
MH
Adria Panel Van.
Exp
Since 1988
Glad you finally got there, more patience than me. Had it been me, it might have been on Ebay, "sold as Seen" for someone else to put right.

Now you have electric light, I'm sure you'll still enjoy the New Year meet, but I know Suzy was looking forward to some romantic candle lit evenings, ::bigsmile:

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
So was Bryan:Doh:
You got that rear wheel seal done yet Jim:Blush:

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Give him time Geo, I only pointed it out at Stratford ::bigsmile: besides when its let all the oil out, it will stop leaking. :Doh:

Olley

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back