RV Insurance

Discussion in 'American RV's' started by petesam, Apr 20, 2009.

1. petesam

petesam Read Only Funster

:Angry:Hiya all, i am in the process of getting quotes to renew my insurance. Have spoke to one company today , two questions asked were (1) what is the value of my RV & (2) how much did i pay for it. Please can anyone tell me what is the relevance of how much i paid for my RV & what has it got to do with the insurance company. I look forward to any suggestions on this matter . Regards Petesam.

2. moandick

moandick Read Only Funster

Hi petesam

Some of the insurance companies (that I have approached during my RV experience) have a surcharge for RV's that cost over £100,000.

Some of the companies would not consider insuring 'motorhomes' that cost over £80,000.

Some of the companies that operate a 'new-for-new' policy or whatever they call it nowadays, (where if you trash an 11 month old vehicle you get a brand new one to replace it) want to know if you bought a new-ish RV at a cut-price, trash it and then claim a much more expensive replacement vehicle.

There is always a reason why these questions are pertinent and mostly it is because someone somewhere is trying to make a 'fast-buck' at the expense of the Insurance company.

3. madbluemad

madbluemad

I can understand the how much is it worth question but what did you pay for it is to me irrelevant. There is always the agreed value route. I find it very very difficult to see where insurance companies take any risk at all and as for making a fast buck out of an Insurance company, I should coco.

Cheers

Jim
    :Smile:

4. MicknPat

MicknPat Funster

I to do not understand why an insurance broker / company should ask how much your RV cost or are the suggesting that if you got a bargain price of say £50,000 on a motor home that is valued at £60,000 you should only value it at £50,000?

If you say yes then how do you insure items that increase in value?

Does anyone know if American RVs are now listed in either Glasses or Parker's Guide?

How do I value our RV as since purchase the $to£ rate as changed from $2.08 to £1.00. to $1.48 to £1.00?

Mick