Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
What is it with English motorways? This phenomenon doesn't seem to happen on Scottish roads.
Driving along at a steady pace and you suddenly feel as if your wobbling down the road. The problem is more accentuated in my motorhome as the rear track is wider than the front.

It can be very disconcerting with the sudden onset of ruts in the inside lane.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Caused by the weight of HGV lorries depressing the Tarmac with their tyre tracks so mostly affects the near side lane. You may remember that British lorries had a lower weight limit and the roads were built for that then Europe came along and upped the weight limit and the damage to the roads started.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Le Repaire,Thiviers,France
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
What is it with English motorways? This phenomenon doesn't seem to happen on Scottish roads.
Driving along at a steady pace and you suddenly feel as if your wobbling down the road. The problem is more accentuated in my motorhome as the rear track is wider than the front.

unfortunately with so many foreign artics on our roads there is no way the surface can stand up to that kind of punishment .I recently drove into Lincolnshire from west Berkshire.and the A34 was nose to tail with maily Polish and Romanian lorries ,same on a43 through Northamptonshire and into Lincolnshire. Absolute nightmare .

Dave K

Free Member
Mar 24, 2015
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Pilote P740C
Exp
Since 2013
It's very bad along parts of the M5 between j27 and j25, when I first experienced it I was convinced I had a serious issue with the van!

Chrysalis

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 16, 2016
Herts
Funster No
MH
Rapido 890F A Class
Exp
I'm a newbie
Yes, we also found the ruts on the M4 and M5 en route to Taunton a couple of weeks ago. There were some parts where the left hand lane was really not usable. It felt as though the Moho has being pushed violently from side to side. I wonder what the courts would say if that was used as a defence if prosecuted for hogging the middle lane?

Deleted User
Don't blame it on Europe, our max weight limit is 44 tonnes, most of Europe is 40 tonnes.

All those nasty lorries bringing the stuff that you and I need to live to a factory/shop near you.

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
Don't blame it on Europe, our max weight limit is 44 tonnes, most of Europe is 40 tonnes.

All those nasty lorries bringing the stuff that you and I need to live to a factory/shop near you.
Not blaming anything on Europe just stating why the roads are So bad on our tiny island

GWAYGWAY

Free Member
Sep 6, 2014
Dover
Funster No
MH
Hymer ML I 580
Exp
4 years
Lorry auto pilot systems, they follow the tracks ours ride up and down them and weave all over the place, most disconcerting.

Deleted User
Not blaming anything on Europe just stating why the roads are So bad on our tiny island

You mentioned European lorries, the post above yours mentioned Europe introducing higher weight limits.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
They don't seem to bother our van for some reason possibly our wheels are tracked more akin to the "truck track" But when I towed the caravan that could develop a mind of its own.

Martin

Khizzie

Free Member
Jul 26, 2014
Funster No
MH
Autocriuse stargazer
Exp
since 2002
You mentioned European lorries, the post above yours mentioned Europe introducing higher weight limits.
Oh dear !!! I must slap my hand in future and just say lorries and not where their from ,,never mentioned the weights just the sheer volume.of lorries on our island .

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
They don't seem to bother our van for some reason possibly our wheels are tracked more akin to the "truck track" But when I towed the caravan that could develop a mind of its own.

Martin

On some vans the rear track is slightly wider than the front.

What tends to happen is that the rear wheels sit nicely in the ruts but the front wheels don't which causes the wobble.

It's usually not that bad as long as you concentrate

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
On some vans the rear track is slightly wider than the front.

What tends to happen is that the rear wheels sit nicely in the ruts but the front wheels don't which causes the wobble.

It's usually not that bad as long as you concentrate
Which is exactly why I would have expected it to affect our van twin rear wheels and narrower front axle.

Martin

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Which is exactly why I would have expected it to affect our van twin rear wheels and narrower front axle.

Martin

It doesn't affect us unless the ruts are really bad either.

Maybe because we're aware of it and expecting it we compensate without really thinking about it?

EX51SSS

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
North Manchester
Funster No
MH
Hymer Exsis A Class
Exp
since 2007
Oh dear !!! I must slap my hand in future and just say lorries and not where their from ,,never mentioned the weights just the sheer volume.of lorries on our island .
The thing is, whose fault is that on essence? The only reason we have so many trucks on our roads is because we want goods from all over the world into our local areas. Plus, we do export quite a bit and those foreign trucks probably are delivering but doubtful they'll eventually go home empty. They'll more than likely have loads for overseas as our truckers do.

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989

We can't afford to fix things in England

All our money goes to Scotland in subsidies :rofl::wink:

Alistair33

Free Member
Aug 23, 2016
North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer
Exp
None

Scotland has fantastic but ............ empty roads, get the kind of traffic on the M 74 that there is on the M 20 for example and you'd soon develop ruts

DanielFord

Free Member
Jun 1, 2013
Funster No
We've just spent 3 weeks touring around The Netherlands, absolutely brilliant quality roads, loads of new motorways being built and not seen one pothole.(y)

Really nice to see where the UK payments to the EU are being spent!;)
The Netherlands are a net contributor to the EU, so one cannot say that our money goes to them.

Deleted User

I never quoted you specifically in my opening post.

Ivory55

Free Member
May 23, 2012
North West Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since Feb 2012

He might be getting confused with weight. You and I know that they can run a heavier front axel with super singles on I Europe, may be that was what he was thinking.

Melvin

Free Member
Jan 22, 2016
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
On & off since 1974
You could run cars and light vans for years up and down motorways with very little wear. It's about time the trucks had to pay tax for the true costs, which would help to make rail transport more competitive this roving some of the Hgv.

Oct 30, 2010
Suffolk or France or ........
Funster No
MH
A Class Carthago Chic
Exp
Since 2008
It's not just the ruts, the pot holes and surface break up is just awful.
After driving through France you come off the shuttle at Folkestone and the shaking, shuddering and crashing begins.
The M20 from Folkestone to Ashford (a relatively new section of motorway) is a disgrace. Visitors arriving in the UK for the first time must think they have landed in the Third World.

Richard.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Don't blame the trucks, there's nothing you eat, drink, wear, live in, drive that hasn't been on a truck of some sort to get to you.
Blame the successive governments that take all your money to drive on the roads in taxes and don't spend enough money on the roads to keep them in good condition.

Feb 9, 2008
SW Scotland
Funster No
MH
LP Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2008 after caravanning for 20 years
As stated above Scotlands roads are empty compared to English roads. Every time we go south it never fails to impress us just how busy the roads are, the only busy roads in Scotland are in the central belt.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back