LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Just to let everyone know that there is now a daily bus service from right outside the Rutland water site to Oakham town and picks up and drops off at all the car parks around Rutland water and also carries bikes as well, so if you wish to walk or ride your bike around Rutland water and cannot make it all the way (like me) then you just jump on the bus at any of the dedicated bus stops around Rutland water, this is great news as now no one has to be stranded now at the site, I used the bus twice within 1 week, taking me back to the site when I ran out of steam and another time to pop into Oakham town for a look around and a bit of shopping, also look around the market that is on Wed and Sat each week. You can also use your bus pass for those who have it, (I did). Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Just to let everyone know that there is now a daily bus service from right outside the Rutland water site to Oakham town and picks up and drops off at all the car parks around Rutland water and also carries bikes as well, so if you wish to walk or ride your bike around Rutland water and cannot make it all the way (like me) then you just jump on the bus at any of the dedicated bus stops around Rutland water, this is great news as now no one has to be stranded now at the site, I used the bus twice within 1 week, taking me back to the site when I ran out of steam and another time to pop into Oakham town for a look around and a bit of shopping, also look around the market that is on Wed and Sat each week. You can also use your bus pass for those who have it, (I did). Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Hi Garry - is the cycle path round the lake flat? Shall be there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Catherine

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 29, 2012
essex
Funster No
MH
Rapido 9090df
Exp
20 years (unless you count my dads VW which makes it 52 years with a few gaps!!)
are you on commision!!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Hi Garry - is the cycle path round the lake flat? Shall be there in a couple of weeks.

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine, The first part of the cycle track from the bird sanctuary (at the bottom of the hill outside the site) to the café at Normanton is very hilly and is about 2 miles long but after this it is quite flat most of the way around rutland water (about 17 miles if you don't go on the island part ) and the bus calls at all the café stops around rutland, so if like me you run out of puff then just get the bus back to Lyndon bus stop right at the top of the road where you enter the lane for the site. Hope this helps and have a good time, Also I think the bus costs about £2.50 one way or £4 day rider (get on and off where you like). Here is the site address for the bus timetables, hope it comes out
http://www.rutland.gov.uk/pdf/Shore Link Leaflet2.pdf

Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Steve101uk

Free Member
Jun 6, 2012
EUROPEAN UNION
Funster No
MH
Pilote G740 C
Exp
since 2007 caravan before that
Is this the Rutland Water site directly opposite the entrance to the sailing club?

OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
Is this the Rutland Water site directly opposite the entrance to the sailing club?

No, the entrance to the camp site is at Lyndon about 2 miles away towards Manton village, Site called Lyndon top farm and is about 500yds from the Rutland garden centre. Here is the address
Lyndon Road
Manton, Oakham
Rutland
LE15 8RN

Here is the www site for the bird sanctuary that is 100yds away and you have to actually pass the camp site on your right just before you get there, if you click on the blue arrow then press on directions you can put your start place in and then you can get directions right here, hope this helps
http://www.ospreys.org.uk/centre-info/

Hope this helps Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Last edited:
OP
OP
flatpackchicken

flatpackchicken

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2010
BICESTER OXFORDSHIRE
Funster No
MH
A Class Frankia I8000
Exp
Since nov 2009
hi, what dates please ?

Hi sue, There is no meet here scheduled, I just wanted all to know that there is now a bus service so you don't feel so marooned there if you wanted to go on your own for a few days or so, as you can jump on bus into Oakham or around Rutland water. Regards Garry Flatpackchicken

Carol

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 2, 2007
North Wales.
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
18 years s Motorhome (33years caravans)

Thanks

Catherine

Hi Catherine, no the cycle path is not flat, it is about 20 mile, quite a lot of different terrine we have cycled around a couple of times but without the assist don't think I would have got very far.

The bird centre with the Osprey is worth cycling to.

Crossed with Gerrys reply, have to say we find the site by the sailing club by Edith Weston handy, and the village pub very good.

Last edited:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back