Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Rust on doors around seals 1996 Autosleeper oh Ford Tranny.

Does anyone know who can deal with this reasonably
without me needing a Mortgage::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Rust on doors around seals 1996 Autosleeper oh Ford Tranny.

Does anyone know who can deal with this reasonably
without me needing a Mortgage::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

My short answer would be - you can :thumb:

Guess it all depend on depth of rust, has it eaten thru the metal and now there are holes, is it surface rust etc, I know there's a huge range of products on the market to help prevent and eliminate rust, it just depends to what depth and degree I suspect :Smile:

Any way of posting pictures of the effected areas :thumb:

OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks for reply -- it seems to be surface rust -- a few bits here and there -- at the moment smearing a little Vaseline on in the belief this might help for the moment?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Thanks for reply -- it seems to be surface rust -- a few bits here and there -- at the moment smearing a little Vaseline on in the belief this might help for the moment?

No no no, give SWMBO her Vaseline back or you'll be in real trouble:cry:

As its surface rust, then you'll need to pop to an outlet such as Halfords and get some rust treatment and preventer, the guys in the shop should be able to advise:thumb:

You'll need to remove the door rubber, but do this with something that's not sharp or you'll split or tear the rubber and defo don't just pull it off from one end, as it'll stretch and not fit without gutting the excess off:winky:

Once it's removed, gently remove the rust with either emery paper (Halfords again, about grade 600), or a wire brush (watch your eyes with the bits flying off) and generally remove the surface rust away until it's slightly shiny underneath. Don't be tempted to do it with a screwdriver, as there's a chance you'll puncture the rust and make a hole:Doh:

Then read the instructions on the rust treatment and brush it on and leave for as long as it says on the instructions and simply remove. Once it's off and dry you can touch up the area and replace the rubber and the jobs a good un:thumb:

Sounds complicated, but shouldn't take too long and then it's done::bigsmile:

Good luck and watch those eyes for debris and from the rust treatment gel:thumb:

Last edited:

Wildman

Free Member
May 30, 2008
Ilfracombe, Devon
Funster No
MH
Amazon Ambassador
Exp
since 1967
There are a number of good preparations out there, FERTAN and naval jelly are two that come to mind

OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
No no no, give SWMBO her Vaseline back or you'll be in real trouble:cry:

As its surface rust, then you'll need to pop to an outlet such as Halfords and get some rust treatment and preventer, the guys in the shop should be able to advise:thumb:

You'll need to remove the door rubber, but do this with something that's not sharp or you'll split or tear the rubber and defo don't just pull it off from one end, as it'll stretch and not fit without gutting the excess off:winky:

Once it's removed, gently remove the rust with either emery paper (Halfords again, about grade 600), or a wire brush (watch your eyes with the bits flying off) and generally remove the surface rust away until it's slightly shiny underneath. Don't be tempted to do it with a screwdriver, as there's a chance you'll puncture the rust and make a hole:Doh:

Then read the instructions on the rust treatment and brush it on and leave for as long as it says on the instructions and simply remove. Once it's off and dry you can touch up the area and replace the rubber and the jobs a good un:thumb:

Sounds complicated, but shouldn't take too long and then it's done::bigsmile:

Good luck and watch those eyes for debris and from the rust treatment gel:thumb:

SWMBO here--you have me worried --- only did it because we were told it inhibits the rust until sorted -- please clarify what damage I may have done -- thanks -- Sheila :thumb:

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
SWMBO here--you have me worried --- only did it because we were told it inhibits the rust until sorted -- please clarify what damage I may have done -- thanks -- Sheila :thumb:

Hi Shelia, no damage to the motorhome as it would/could help a little but needs proper treatment with an inhibitor and .......as to the Vaseline, there could be rust flakes or particles in it and that would/could lead to sore lippies :thumb::thumb:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
You wont have done any damage :Smile:Just needs hot soapy water to remove it before treatment with Rust killer or simular --I have some in the garage -think its called rust eater or something -simply brush on lightly,this turns rust black and stops oxidisation (hence going black) You can then paint over it or sand down and retreat ::bigsmile: if like me cannot wait :winky: repaint ----without causing alarm I would be checking all the underneath of a tranny even the 2002 new shaped ones are very prone to rust :Eeek:
terry

Last edited:
OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Hi Shelia, no damage to the motorhome as it would/could help a little but needs proper treatment with an inhibitor and .......as to the Vaseline, there could be rust flakes or particles in it and that would/could lead to sore lippies :thumb::thumb:

Thanks so much for reply -- I have one pot of Vaseline for suitable jobs and another one for just me :thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
another vote for rust eater/converter. it chemically reacts with ferrous oxide (rust) and changes it into inert ferric tannate. this can be sanded down and repainted. not a hard or expensive job for diy

ourcampersbeentrashed

Free Member
Apr 19, 2008
East London
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
well over 5 years
There used to be some wonderful stuff called jellolite (well thats how its pronounced) you rub the worst of the rust off and apply jellolight and it "turned it back to metal" we used to think it was fabulous stuff years ago.

Dunno whether it still exists but worth a try if it does, we used it on a car I had for years after we used jellolite and no more rust came thru

Good luck

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
Don't waste your money on rust inhibitors.....full fat cola - same results!

Most defo DON'T USE COKE!!!! :Doh:

The only way it sorts it out, is the fact that it's eating everything and I mean everything!!!:Eeek:

Used to shift the old Bedford trucks for Coca Cola as the chasis were just rotten and so badly corroded, that they were written off and all because the number of bottles that would break in crates, then seep thru the floor and eat the metal away, it's a corrosive of its own!!!!:Doh:

Stick to the Jenolite as mentioned earlier as its made for the job:thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the reason cola does a similar thing is that it contains tannic acid, which is the active ingredient in rust treatments.

if you want to see what coke does to metal put some 2p pieces in a glass of coke overnight. then think what it does to your gut if you drink it :Eeek:

OP
OP
teddybard

teddybard

Free Member
Aug 21, 2012
warwickshire
Funster No
MH
c
Exp
5 years
Thanks again to all for the replies ref rust -- we are off today for 4 days to Houghton Mill caravan club site Huntingdon before going to the Thetford Bash and as we are not set up to use our laptop in the motorhome we are limited to looking at motorhome fun until we get back :Smile:

Apr 29, 2012
Holmfirth
Funster No
MH
1990 Gulfstream RV
Exp
30yrs
all these rust treatments are basically phosphoric acid, so heed the safety warnings. It turns rust into a black base that can be painted over with primer. Kurust, jenolite etc, they all work well. They use the same method in the ship yards.....leave out to rust, then prep with phos/acid. If you go thru to a hole, try backing it up or fill it low with plastic metal, then finish off to final hight with body filler.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back