Rust stains in bathroom furniture (1 Viewer)

Bazzer 1

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Markfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
:Sad:In the toilet / shower room of the motorhome we have just purchased the plastic fittings ie toilet floor / sink / shower base etc were fixed originally with non stainless fixings and at each fixing point the plastic has turned brown presumably with rust from the fixing. Is there a remedy for this as it doesn't clean off with cream cleaners etc

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years
:Sad:In the toilet / shower room of the motorhome we have just purchased the plastic fittings ie toilet floor / sink / shower base etc were fixed originally with non stainless fixings and at each fixing point the plastic has turned brown presumably with rust from the fixing. Is there a remedy for this as it doesn't clean off with cream cleaners etc
Are you sure it is rust:Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bazzer 1

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Markfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Rust in bathroom

Thanks for the response 'Buttons'. I can't be positive it's rust, but the Pvc mouldings has only gone brown (Rust ? ) in the immediate area of the fixings. It's an assumption true enough, but what else could it possibly be ??

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

up4it

Free Member
Sep 7, 2011
Kent
Funster No
MH
Motorhome
Exp
February 2011
Hi
Search Google for Removing rust stains from plastic,

White Vinegar or White Vinegar & Baking Soda Paste.

It just may help. Gus :Smile:

Upvote 0
OP
OP
B

Bazzer 1

Free Member
Jul 3, 2012
Markfield
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you Margaret, After I have tried with the previous suggestion, if that doesn't work I'll try one of the Astonish range. However, looking closer I get the impression that the staining may be below the top surface ie staining through and if I was to remove all the units, (Which I'm not sure I want to do! ) I could maybe just maybe wipe the stain off, but then life is never that easy is it ? Many thanks.

Upvote 0

Pikey Pete

Free Member
May 25, 2008
o
Funster No
MH
o
Exp
Thank you Margaret, After I have tried with the previous suggestion, if that doesn't work I'll try one of the Astonish range. However, looking closer I get the impression that the staining may be below the top surface ie staining through and if I was to remove all the units, (Which I'm not sure I want to do! ) I could maybe just maybe wipe the stain off, but then life is never that easy is it ? Many thanks.

I think you will find that the discolouration is caused by sunlight and ageing. The bathroom in my Hymer is awful with marks from things like suction cup hooks etc.

The previously white plastic in the cab area is the same. It looks like a smoking room, but I know no one has ever smoked in the van.

As yet I know of no way of bringing it back to white other than replacing all the plastic and that is just uneconomical.

I read that a few years ago Hymer was replacing the plastic in some vans under warranty, which had suffered discolouration after only a few weeks of exposure to sunlight.

Pete:Cool:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back