Russia

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Our Bumble, Jul 17, 2016.

1. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

hi everyone, does anyone have any experience of taking their motorhome and travelling in Russia?

2. Bart

Bart Funster

I've not long got my MH so still have to venture to all these "Lovely places" so ill watch this thread with interest.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

Well Russia will be a new one for us Bart, so more than welcome to join us and share the new experience :) The more the merrier :D

4. DanielFord

DanielFord Funster

No experience, but of course you would have to sort special insurance because it is outside of the EU. Not sure what it would cost, but certainly be high on my list of places to visit! :D

• Like Like x 1
  5. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

Thanks Daniel. Yes, insurance is high on the list. I have heard driving can be a challenge!

6. 504329lt

504329lt Funster

Insurance through caravan club covers 'western' Russia. I have ordered a green card forKaliningrad so will post if it arrives!

• Like Like x 1
  7. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

Tales of corrupt police demanding fines for which no receipt is given and horrendous driving by those who are sober let alone those who have been on the vodka are what I know about Russia. :)

But I'm sure you will be fine if you are careful. Just brush up on the alphabet so you can read the road signs.

Worth reading all of this too: https://www.gov.uk/foreign-travel-advice/russia The bit about visas doesn't seem to say if you need to apply for one in the UK or whether you can go to a Russian consulate or whatever in say Finland. Worth making a few calls if you are already outside the UK. It does warn overstaying your visa can lead to arrest so if you break down you could be in trouble.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 2
  8. Jenben

Jenben Funster

I think the blog theworldisourlobster went to Russia as part of their European tour so that would be worth a look. They also have links to other blog resources that will give you further info.

• Like Like x 2
  9. jonandshell

jonandshell Funster

After watching all the Russian dash cam footage on YouTube, I think you are certifyable to be even considering it!

It's got to be worth it for the experience though. Good luck!:)

• Like Like x 2
  10. buttons

buttons Funster

Driving in Russia has no attraction to me I'm afraid. Going by the youtube car cams I think insurance could be horrendous. I could think of much better places to visit. How about Afghanistan Iran or Pakistan...;):)

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 2
  11. Spidey

Spidey Funster

You brave souls that have done Russia, we would be too nervous to go there by MH. We have visited St Peterburg by cruise ship and it was a beautiful city. Well in the centre it was not so nice on the outskirts. The border guards are scary. The people very friendly but looking at the way they drive it would scare me so much I wouldnt enjoy it. Mind you we a novices and only done one Euro trip so far :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

I have driven overland to Russia, it was some years ago and in a truck. One of the first European trucks to be allowed on Russian soil. To be honest, it was a nightmare of the highest order and I am used to roadtrip nightmares. Signs you cannot read, endless paperwork, self funding insurance, bribes, lunatic drivers of the first order, fuel that blocked up filters, thieves, bandits, people that carry guns like we carry mobile phones, constant road checks for paperwork, impossible to get decent medical cover or care, visa unacceptable in most places so large quantities of cash have to be carried and that is only the start. Good luck, I hope I have not put you off.
    PS, If you have ever seen a Russian registered truck in Europe, you will notice it is a strange camouflage dirt colour and carries snow chains and a strong drag bar. The reason behind this is that much of the roads get washed away and that camo is not paint, its road surface.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
    • Like Like x 5
    • Funny Funny x 4
  13. Our Bumble

Our Bumble Funster

Thanks everyone. Will check out the links, do some more research and keep you all posted.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Smith and Sharp

Smith and Sharp Funster

The way I drive I'll fit right in over there....;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Badknee

Badknee Funster

I knew a trucker that went regularly, he took twice as much money for bribes as he needed for fuel, no credit/debit cards just cash in a money belt he never took off. He was paid an awful lot of money to do those trips and by the stories he told he earned every penny.

• Like Like x 2
  16. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

This is the main problem, carrying of large amounts of cash. All the undesirables know that you are carrying cash and as there are few motorhomes driving around in Russia you will stand out like a sore thumb.
    Gone are the days when a packet of Marlboro or a pair of old Levis would get you out of trouble. They want cash nowadays, and only Euros or American dollars. I still know a couple of guys doing the Russian work, but they are paid extremely well for there trouble and have large company backup if there is a problem. I know one thing for sure, if you asked them to go on holiday there, the answer would not be the one you wanted.

• Like Like x 1
  17. olley

olley Funster

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. Tootles

Tootles Funster

I wont visit Russia until it's been nuked. (y)

19. olley

olley Funster

• Like Like x 2
  20. olley

olley Funster

Your a great believer in a Roman peace toots.

• Like Like x 1