Running your RV from the generator (1 Viewer)

bashers

Free Member
Mar 21, 2009
Bedfordshire
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
3! Been boating for years. Now just bought an RV
Once you've converted your bus to have its 240V ring main, how do you work things if you are off grid with your genny running?

Is it common practice to use inverters in this instance or do you step down 240-110 into the input side of the bus and then step up one of the ring mains to 240V? Inefficient surely

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
We use the portable genny.The on-board ONAN is rarely used now.I might even think about removing it to install a 240 volt one as we have no 110 volt appliances on board now.

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Hi

You use the same transformer for the genny as the ehu .. provided it is a step up/step down transformer.

From EHU you step down .. 230 - 110v
From Genny you step up .. 110 - 230 v

This has to be wired either using a relay or manual change over switch so you can't feed both genny and ehu into the tranny .. it also prevents a live ehu plug when running the genny ..

Like Steve I have a 230v Honda 2 kva Suitcase genny primarily for charging and never use the onboard..
My goal is to have all appliances 230v .. only the fridge and water heater are 110v..

hth

Jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
what about your AC . and 12V charging systems Jim?

Thats all fed from 110V originally?
::bigsmile:

John

Hi John,

I've already replaced the 110v charger and fitted a 230v Victron 70A charger - 1600wat inverter.
Never use the air cons and would like to remove them but won't ..just in case.. so would keep the tranny just for them..

Upvote 0

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
ahh ok.. :Smile:

I must admit, fulltiming, that if i could i would use the AC in the warmer months.. the van does get very warm when the sun is out or the outside temp is above 20C..

problem is, my system is still running from a 110 yellow, and that's only 1kw I think.. so the AC trips it after a few seconds..

I do have a step up down to fit, but that is also 1kw :(

think I may have to buy a bigger yellow just for the AC, which is silly.. :( (My genny is out of action at the moment)

john

Last edited:
Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
ahh ok.. :Smile:

I must admit, fulltiming, that if i could i would use the AC in the warmer months.. the van does get very warm when the sun is out or the outside temp is above 20C..

Hi John

Even in France last year with ambient over 30c we never ran it .. but we were in there for eight months from Feb so I think we gradually got acclimatised to the heat .. in saying that the RV stays relatively cool ..

Running AC makes you soft ... :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Upvote 0

johng

Free Member
Aug 15, 2007
Kent/Sussex UK
Funster No
MH
1984 C ClassGMC
Exp
:ROFLMAO:

are your walls insulated though Jim ?

these inside walls and ceiling radiate heat :Eeek:

opps gone off topic a bit

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
:ROFLMAO:

are your walls insulated though Jim ?

these inside walls and ceiling radiate heat :Eeek:

opps gone off topic a bit

Good insulation and dual pane windows help a lot.. :thumb:

back on topic..

Don't forget the onboard genny is 60hz .. won't be a problem for panel heaters, lights etc
230v 50hz motors, ie hair dryers, fan heaters will run faster ..
I'm not sure about TVs and electronic kit .. so check the data label before plugging in to check that it's ok on 230v - 60Hz supply..

Conversely, Air Cons are 110v - 60hz.. so when supplied from EHU run a bit slower, less efficient on the 50Hz

Upvote 0

Sundowners

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 30, 2007
Suffolk/Central Portugal
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
37 years
We purchased a new transformer from here Transformer Manufacturer UK - Airlink Transformers - Home Page, our fifth wheel came with one of the yellow ones and we found on using our airconditioning last year (not used often I must add, but nice when needed), we noticed a 'hot' smell coming from somewhere and found it to be the yellow transformer. We also found that the yellow one tripped the power when switching on the ehu, this new one has a surge limiter on it. Feel happier now that it is fitted.

Nigel and Pamala

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
There is now a proper solution

This was discussed on the RVOC forum . I think the cost will put most off.. £1850.00 plus fitting costs .
Link Removed

My plan is to eventually have no 110v 60hz kit .. fridge will be next victim :winky:

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back