Running out of Diesel (1 Viewer)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Which transits? Mine has a belt. I have no idea how I would even start to think about bump starting it though so I'm fine..
Sounds like yours is the old DI engine which is bullet proof, you can't kill it even if you try.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
Sounds like yours is the old DI engine which is bullet proof, you can't kill it even if you try.

Yep so I hear.. bunch of bananas on top.. I was worried about the belt as I have no history for it then did some research and discovered that although it is technically an interference engine the most likely damage after a snap at high revs will be bent ouch rods which don't even need head off to replace.. The belt can wait till I've got spare dosh for the timing keys.. looking forward to that weekends work ;)

Nov 2, 2008
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
PVC, S&L Iveco
Exp
45 years
Yep so I hear.. bunch of bananas on top.. I was worried about the belt as I have no history for it then did some research and discovered that although it is technically an interference engine the most likely damage after a snap at high revs will be bent ouch rods which don't even need head off to replace.. The belt can wait till I've got spare dosh for the timing keys.. looking forward to that weekends work ;)
From memory you don't need timing keys just three drill bits to match the hole sizes in the pulleys very easy, quick and cheap to do, worth googling.

mjltigger

Free Member
Nov 12, 2014
Trowbridge
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Dakota Max
Exp
I've googled.. seems the people who got stuck and ended up on the forums asking hundreds of questions were a subset of those that went ahead with some drill bits to match the holes in the pulleys

I tried to do the job 12 years ago on a 1.8 diesel Fiesta and had the same problem. Without the proper keys you could easily be one tooth out in either direction of memory serves.. not sure the transit is the same but would rather start and finish on the same weekend rather than being without the van for weeks

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Be interesting to see some proof of this.......

Why doesnt the chain jump with a fully charged battery.....if the oil pressure is lost then it will be lost regardless of battery state

It will be no different to a jumper lead start.

The reason is on a transit the starter motor turns the engine over in a slow controlled manner (sort of soft start) not a sharp shock as can be in a bump start.

Rangers given the answer. I'll expand a bit. The tensioner on the chain driven engines was notoriously weak from the outset & towstart & letting up the clutch would normally result in the chain jumping & /or also tearing tensioner to bits. At the same time if it jumped then the bolts holding down the rocker shaft would snap , at least the end one would.
The original tensioners were absolute cack & the ultimate modified tensioner is far better but does not alleviate the 'jumping' when towed problem.
There's pages of tales of woe on the Transit forum. The only method recommended is a jumps start or recharge battery/new battery.
IF it has to be towed then the only way recommended to do it is put it in a high gear & tow from rest in gear & slowly to allow the engine to rotate & so build up oil pressure before the engine fires.
Yep ,just bends push rods. On my works Transit I could change the belt in 45 minutes ! :xThumb: I only ever used bolts of the relevant diameter to lock flywheel, pump , etc in place. Never had a problem ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Jun 23, 2011
Pedreguer, Spain
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2011
Yes they do have some that'll have you falling about. :)
Another one to catch you out is that it is illegal to wash your vehicle except in the garages & stand-alone car washes. That includes in your own fence & gated property !! :xlaugh:

Not illegal in our part of Spain - I thought Murcia was more relaxed than Communidad Valenciana, but obviously not in this case!

john kyte

Free Member
Dec 17, 2013
Salisbury
Funster No
MH
Ex ambulance
Exp
A jump start can spike the ecu of any modern vehicle if it isn't done right.. The answer is to do it right. Jump starting is always the method of choice to start a car with a flat battery regardless of the cause of the flat. You can't bump an auto anyway and trying to bump start a 3.5tonne vehicle is a pretty much non starter.. excuse the pun.
You can bump start an auto---must go over about 30 MPH though

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
Went out in the van this morning and the aux belt was squealing a bit after start up, mentally put it on my "to do" list. Got to a major tee junction and as I was sat at the lights, noticed lying in the middle of the other carriageway was what looked like a tensioner pulley then a few yards further up the road, a shredded timing belt. That'll have took the shine off someones day and I think I best go and sort my belt out once the drizzel stops :xThumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Not illegal in our part of Spain - I thought Murcia was more relaxed than Communidad Valenciana, but obviously not in this case!
It is actually illegal everywhere in Spain. It comes under Medio ambiente. Environmental regulations. Any & all water used to wash vehicles etc; has to be contained ,filtered & reused. To prevent chemicals leeching in to ground water. I don't know why when you see what they spray on the fields & some of it strips galvanising from your fences ! :xsurprised: They just don't do anything about it up your way probably.
It always used to fascinate me when I was first here how you never saw anyone washing a car ( until I asked & was told why ) & how a stand-a-lone wash could make a living. Until you see the queues ! Especially at weekends & fiestas.
I actually saw an old Spaniard come out one day over in Águilas & start to wash his car. Sat there thinking "well I never , first time for everything " , then 2 Policia local crossed the road & started on about it being illegal , fines, pollution,etc; It was that entertaining I missed the lights turning green ! :xdoh:Had to wait for the next change.:xrofl:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back