Running on Gas

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by Boo, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

As petrol is still very expensive and weighs alot, how much petrol do you have in reserve for when the LPG runs out?

Do you plan your route with gas fillup stops before you run out or do you just run out then look for the nearest autogas garage?.........if so, how do you know where they are and how do you know its not a little garage that you can't get in or out of with a large RV?

Any horror stories of getting stuck with a big RV in garages, roads, town centres ect???......

When I went to fill mine for the 1st time (when I picked her up) I had to reverse up to the autogas as the way out was too tight a turn to drive through...........then after I had paid I came out to find 3 cars queing in front of me (did they think I was stuck in reverse and I was gonna drive home like that??)
    I got into the drivers seat, started her up and waited for them to move..............nothing! so I politely asked them to reverse back so I could drive out to which the lady 1st in the que said " you shouldn't have driven in the wrong way and you certainly should have brought THAT great big thing into here!!

Everyone moved back to let me out and I thanked them (except for the lady who gave me a mouthfull as she just sat there shaking her head as I pulled out)

Some people eh?..............and thats prob what she was thinking about me too lol!

Boo

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  2. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Yes I have had a couple of tight spots but nothing compared to the advantages of running on gas.

In 7000 miles i am very happy and well on my way to covering the cost of conversion.

No doubt you will here some negative comments but mainly from those that have never had an LPG vehicle.

My Jeep Grand Cherokee 5700cc run on LPG to:thumb:

3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I don't believe that John .. .:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1: what ever gave you that idea.. :RollEyes:

Serious note.. Petrol does have a tank life, you should try not to store it for too long ..perhaps a good plan to run on petrol and fill with fresh every so often ?

but what do I know.. I'm a diesel head :Doh:

4. Road Runner

Road Runner Read Only Funster

Even on the newest system you run the for the few few minutes miles on petrol so can rotate your fuel.

So saying mine has a fuel tank problem at the moment so have to start on gas:Doh::RollEyes:

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. ginge61

ginge61 Read Only Funster

i try to run on petrol every now and then as gas doesnt lube the valves to good so at least once a month on petrol plus you use the petrol in the tank like jim says thaT goes stale after a while :thumb:

6. Boo

Boo Read Only Funster

Mine is the new injected type LPG conversion.......and here is another question.......Do I have to run it on petrol until the engine is warm before switching to LPG?

I didn't know you could start them on gas RoadRunner?

Do I have to switch over to petrol before switching off the engine? (just what a friend told me)

Boo

7. nomadic

nomadic Funster

Runing on gas

Boo

Have a look at Free UK fuel prices. 9,672 petrol stations covered - PetrolPrices.com it may help.

You can select your fuel type, distance from location you want to search, and it gives you both location and price. It is updated every day, so no problems there.:Smile:

Signing up is free.:Eeek:

That covers the uk, europe is a little more problomatic:Cool:

Nomadic

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Boo my gas car switched over automatically after about 30 seconds,also just switched off to stop then it started on petrol / switched itself to gas---left it to run on gas all the time---you will soon learn to fill up with gas when it starts gulping petrol :thumb::Rofl1:
    terry

9. muz

muz Read Only Funster

lpg

hi,my hurricane does about 280 miles on a tank of gas and i fill up when ever i see a easy to get in petrol station.most shell stations sell lpg some asda and morrissons,the big superstores are normaly easy to get in and out,just filled up at heanor derbys 45p litre,so dont mind struggling a bit.hope this helps,muz