Running fridge from solar/battery (1 Viewer)

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
I'm sure I saw on here (but cannot see it now) where someone wired there 3 way fridge to run off 12volts. I'm sitting here in the sun with 300ah fully charged batteries by 10am and the fridge using gas. Can it be done? RM7050

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
Depending on the solar regulator, @funflair advised me and I just connected the AES sense out of my regulator to the solar+ on the fridge ecu and allegedly when the batteries have had enough the regulator switches the fridge to DC to take the excess? Well that's how I understand it but others will be along.

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
surely if it is 3 way then select 12v & it will run from leisure batteries & the solar will top them up ?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
There is a relay that stops it from running on 12v if the engine is not running, however the amount of gas you will save will probably equate to £1 a week if your in Spain/ Portugal on LPG.....
So I wouldn't bother messing

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Rewire fridge so all can be used in any situation. No point having free solar then suing gas & having to up & move just to refill.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I am not sure if this is still the case, but older 3 way fridges didn't have a thermostat when running on 12v. They just kept going. If this is still the case you may end up with partially frozen stuff?

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
I'm sure I saw on here (but cannot see it now) where someone wired there 3 way fridge to run off 12volts. I'm sitting here in the sun with 300ah fully charged batteries by 10am and the fridge using gas. Can it be done? RM7050
I am guilty of doing this mod, any AES fridge set to auto will switch over to 12 volts given the right signal, in my case from a Votronic solar reg with the AES out connection. Our van has the fridge running off the leisure batteries so the Votronic regulator cycles on and off depending on the level of the battery/batteries, new S+ fridges need just s single wire older D+ only fridges require a diode as well.

Martin

OP
OP
Boringfrog
Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
There is a relay that stops it from running on 12v if the engine is not running, however the amount of gas you will save will probably equate to £1 a week if your in Spain/ Portugal on LPG.....
So I wouldn't bother messing
@colmorangie wins....:sun:

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
I am guilty of doing this mod, any AES fridge set to auto will switch over to 12 volts given the right signal, in my case from a Votronic solar reg with the AES out connection. Our van has the fridge running off the leisure batteries so the Votronic regulator cycles on and off depending on the level of the battery/batteries, new S+ fridges need just s single wire older D+ only fridges require a diode as well.

Martin
What he said. Our batts have been running the fridge on and off for most of the day. The sun is higher and the sky clear now in Spain and it has been switching over about 10:30 - 11am.

It might not save huge amount of gas but any saving is a bonus in my book.

Don't even attempt to use your memory to switch it over, it won't be long before you forget to switch it back in time to avoid and dark and quite evening in the van! Believe me, we know!

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
What he said. Our batts have been running the fridge on and off for most of the day. The sun is higher and the sky clear now in Spain and it has been switching over about 10:30 - 11am.

It might not save huge amount of gas but any saving is a bonus in my book.

Don't even attempt to use your memory to switch it over, it won't be long before you forget to switch it back in time to avoid and dark and quite evening in the van! Believe me, we know!
Is that with a Votronic controller?

Martin

colmorangie

Free Member
Nov 30, 2014
Bonby, North Lincs
Funster No
MH
Coach built
Exp
Since 2007
22kg of gas would last us 30 days in Portugal in January and cost €18 ish.... so if you wired your fridge into your battery you would need to go to the garage after 29.5 days not 30 days ha ha
Nice problems to have......
I believe if you fit your winter guards on your fridge on a night and take them of when it warms up during the day you can save enough to buy another bottle of €2 wine every 3 months

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back