Running fridge from leisure battery

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Mags52, Feb 27, 2013.

1. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Hi All, We're getting a solar panel fitted shortly and intend to tour the Western Isles for a month in June. Last time we camped without hookup we found our gas ran down in a few days using it for fridge and cooking. We're travelling with friends in a car with tents so we don't intend to drive every day. Is it possible (and advisable) to run the fridge from the leisure battery to save gas? At the moment it seems to run from the vehicle battery as it only works when the engine is running.
    If it's possible to change it over how is it done?
    Thanks
    Mags

2. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

Sorry but you are looking for the holly grail with that one. Even with a roof full of solar am afraid you would not be able to run a fridge on 12 volt for very long. Get a bigger gas bottle is the answer.

• Like Like x 2
  3. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Possible .. yes.. advisable No .. even with a solar panel, the fridge will kill a 85ah battery overnight..

why you ask.. the 12v element is not on a thermostat , so runs all the time.. and as it draws roughly 9amps. x 24 hrs = :Eeek:

as per Dave's reply.. get a bigger gas bottle or take two

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
  4. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

Thanks folks. I rather feared that would be the case but hope springs eternal. We're on Gaslow but only have one bottle. Maybe this is the year to bite the bullet and have a second one fitted.

5. scotjimland

if you have space, why not fit a Calor bottle along side the Gaslow.. ?

best of both worlds.. and Calor is a easier to find than Autogas in remote areas

6. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

I don't think I would do that Jim as it defeats the purpose of having the Gaslow fitted in the first place. We're two women of a certain age and lifting bottles had become difficult. :Smile:

7. scotjimland

I understand..

but I'm sure you could find a strong gentleman when you need to exchange.. :Smile:

unless you visit our local sub Post Office where we have the most unhelpful sod you could find ,..:RollEyes:

• Like Like x 2
  8. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

That seems quite a lot of gas usage. Admittedly we have 2 x 11 kg Gaslow bottles, but in the summer we use at most, one full bottle in a fortnight. We rarely, if ever, hook up to mains and even in mainland Europe with temperatures in the high 20s - low 30s with the fridge running flat out to keep cool (on gas) our we have not used more than one bottle in two weeks. Also, most of the time we use aires, or often wild camp in Scotland so run gas for water heating to shower and wash-up etc. Might some of your gas appliances need checking for correct combustion perhaps?

9. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi Mags the other alternative is a fixed gas tank of a decent size. Ours will last for at least a month in the summer with fridge on 24/7 we never bother to change over to 12v when driving.

10. maz

maz Funster

As others have said, forget about powering the fridge from the leisure batteries. Like JeanLuc, I'm off hook-up a lot of the time in summer and my usage is similar to his. Maybe it's the cooking that's using the bulk of the gas? Good excuse to eat out. :Smile:

11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

just a thought but the gas thermostat may be faulty and the fridge is running all the time

12. Terry

Terry Funster

The gas is lit all the time when on gas :thumb: The little gas flame that lot's refer to as a pilot light is IT :Wink::BigGrin: no bigger burners to light and go on and off simply the small gas jet is enough to keep fridge going all the time.It does not even go on and off automaticaly simply stays lit :Smile:
    terry

13. scotjimland

That's true Terry.. the temperature is determined by the flame size, which is determined by the setting on the dial..

but not true if you have a large fridge such as the Norocold that was fitted to my RV ..

it has a thermostat with an electronic igniter, the gas is ignited and extinguished as required to maintain the temperature.. It has no pilot light.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mags52

Mags52 Funster

A 6kg bottle is only a little more than half the size of 11kg so that might explain the fact that we can use a tank in a week when using it for everything. I don't know why the fitters didn't put an 11kg in when we asked for one bottle - I'm assuming it's because there wasn't room.
    Will investigate further with a local dealer.
    Thanks all.
    :thumb:

15. Spidermonkey

Spidermonkey Read Only Funster

Would agree with jeanluc - our 6kg gas bottle lasts us nearly 3 weeks using it for cooking, fridge and showering.:Nowink:

16. oldun

oldun Read Only Funster

The 12V electric power is not thermostaically controlled, at least it wassn't on my htree way fridge.

Get a 12v compressor fridge if you must use 12V.

17. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

Available in Stornoway !!!:thumb::thumb::thumb:

18. scotjimland

as I mentioned..

19. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Have you thought about not using the cooker so much and doing more BBQ'ing instead, either using charcoal or a disposable canister type BBQ? You could also get a gas canister type hob too, again to use outside and minimise your on-board gas usage.

We have one of these for BBQ'ing:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MARKSMAN-...NG-GRILL-STOVE-4-CANNISTERS-NEW-/221047217890

http://www.esellit.com/marksman-tools-portable-camping-23kw-grill-66196c-p-2176.html

And one of these (different make) for cooking:

http://www.gooutdoors.co.uk/hi-gear-portable-gas-camping-stove-p142491

Last edited: Feb 27, 2013
    • Like Like x 1
  20. knokinonabit

knokinonabit Funster

Tried running my fridge off the leisure batteries after reading this thread.
    It definately won't let me. Even with the engine off, if I manually select 12 volt, or let it select 12 volt by itself, it works off the vehicle battery.
    Checked it by watching the voltage drain on the display panel.
    The solar panel didn't get anywhere near keeping the battery topped up.