Rules when on an aire.

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Flyingscotsman2, Aug 13, 2014.

1. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Afternoon guys can u have your chairs and table out wen your on and aire. BBQ etc wat are the rules if any? Cheers

2. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Officially no
    There is always somewhere in front behind or a strip of grass so long as you don't prevent someone else parking.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Brisey

Brisey Funster Life Member

Officially, no you can't. Aires are for Motorhome parking and not camping. Having said that, a lot depends on how strictly the rules are applied at any given time and location.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Sheddy

Sheddy Funster

We normally see what other folk are doing and take it from there, we have had the chairs and awning out at some aires, but at others wouldn't do it, we find the small village aires are more relaxed than the town center aires where you are often just staying on a mixed vehicle car park.
    As for the rules the answer is No, as is using your stabilizers, that constitutes camping and is not allowed on aires, hence no tuggers. (and travelers).
    We have never been ' pulled' for using our chairs or awning, we have used the Cadac/ BBQ now and then but only on aires that are very relaxed and usually where others are doing the same or facilities are provided.
    When arriving on an aire look to park in a spot adjacent to some grass to give you a 'relaxing' area. (y)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Cheers guys.

6. JeanLuc

JeanLuc Funster

All has been said really - do as the local camping caristes do. But, be prepared for them to want to park close to you if the aire is busy. This can be a bit disconcerting at first, because if there's room, they'll park - no 6 metre rule on aires!

• Like Like x 2
  7. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

As above... if there is space and you are not annoying anyone get the chairs and table out .. just don't light a babri on the tar-mac :LOL:

I've seen a 48hr rule .. but has anyone actually seen the 'rules' that say no chairs,awning, etc ? I'm not disputing them.. just never seen them on aires.. only on forums.

.. I've seen all sorts on aires, including a gazebo put up by a group of four French who parked one on each side.. and had a party under the gazebo..

I've had vans parked so close you couldn't open the windows.. I've shared our awning with a French van.. and then shared the BBQ ...

don't get tied down with rules.. just use common sense.. and chill out like the French do

Last edited: Aug 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Flyingscotsman2

Flyingscotsman2

Giz a kiss Jim...

• Like Like x 2
  9. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Yes indeed.. however this sign is at Le Touquet, Equestrian Aire

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
  10. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

I stopped in an aire in La Turballe (south coast of Brittany) a few weeks ago where the sign at the bourne clearly stated no camping items to be placed outside of the motorhome.
    As previous posters have said - observe what the other motorhomers do.

11. ukbill

ukbill Funster

i cant believe someone as experienced as you flyingscotsman2 dont know the rules about a aire
    what a plonker :(

12. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

We have been on aires galore. Do as the others do, probably not a good idea to light up a charcoal barbie, but a gas cadac in the right place has always worked for us.
    Have been on aires during bank hols where you almost have to go through other vans to get to your own. Sometimes they are empty, so use your loaf.
    Phil

13. John & Joan

John & Joan Funster

Many French eat outside their vans. They will place a table and chairs either in from or behind. After the meal these are packed away. It is leaving stuff out that is a real no no.

• Like Like x 2
  14. chaser

chaser Funster

Who is going to complain, if it's a free one you very rarely see anyone in charge, and if it's paid he usually just comes first thing in a morning and goes again, just my opinion , as we only go out of season, it's perhaps different but we have never seen a full one and always sit outside if it's fit.

• Like Like x 1
  15. TheTwoOfUs

TheTwoOfUs Funster

And you actually enjoy this?

16. nelly

nelly Funster

I enjoy when aires are full lots of people with the same hobby just like a rally and lots of vans to see and compare

• Like Like x 1
  17. PJGWiltshire

PJGWiltshire Funster

Just got back from a five week trip in Germany and France using Aires and Stellpazas. As mentioned when space is available chairs are out along with small Cadics. Germany Stellpazas are of a size for van and awning so chairs and table out. In fact i asked the manger for a bollard to reserve our space as we were nipping out and he told us to put our chairs and table across the pitch. So all in all just go with the flow

18. gillnphil

gillnphil Funster

This was at Gruissan port aire during a French bank holiday weekend in September. Just had to get off the main road and ended up here. Yes it was packed, but once in place we had the best time ever. It was Gruissan festival weekend, we saw live bands every night, drinks at 1€ a pop, easy walk into town from the aire, got on well with the French, and the aire, next to the port was Brilliant. So to answer your question, yes we really enjoyed it.
    Lifes full of surprises !
    Phil

19. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We were at Brantome a few weeks ago, everyone who had chairs/tables/awnings out were told to put them away by a Guard de Ville. We were parked right by the river and had our chairs on the grass bank, he left us alone.

20. Scottyboy

Scottyboy Funster

Ive had a van park so close that i couldn't close my already open window! (I have the type of windows you have to push out a bit to release the catch)