Free Member
Oct 3, 2013
west midlands
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
9years
I was thinking of going abroad next September till about February but I have been informed by my local council State Pension Department that I am only allowed to go abroad anywhere for no more than 13 weeks,they said if I stay any longer I would lose my state pension.
I know a few people who go abroad for a lot longer than 13 weeks and are on state benefits,How the hell do they get away with it,I'd love to find out if anyone knows.Thanks.

chatter

Free Member
Aug 3, 2009
cheshire
Funster No
MH
5th wheel
Exp
10+
Its not the pension that they can stop, you could have that paid into a bank here but if you lived abroad you could have it paid into an account there - but i wouldnt advise it you would loose any cost of living rises if you chose to have it paid anywhere outside the UK.
It would be things like pension credit, doctors lists, any council tax allowance you might get or if a council house and you were getting help with that, which would stop

There is supposed to be free movement within Europe but our Govt decided anyone who stays longer that 3 months should loose out here on their return. Why should you tell/ask them about it? Cant think of anyone that would give such info on a plate so to speak

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Last edited:

Munchie

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 28, 2007
Camping Les Vigeres
Funster No
MH
Font Vendôme
Exp
Since 2004
I was thinking of going abroad next September till about February but I have been informed by my local council State Pension Department that I am only allowed to go abroad anywhere for no more than 13 weeks,they said if I stay any longer I would lose my state pension.
I know a few people who go abroad for a lot longer than 13 weeks and are on state benefits,How the hell do they get away with it,I'd love to find out if anyone knows.Thanks.

Think you will find this is bollox!!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
Ken puts it quite succinctly. You can claim the state pension if retire abroad so I can't see what the problem would be if you just went for an extended holiday. However, this doesn't apply to some other benefits. I suspect Job Seekers allowance would be a non-starter unless you could convince them you were looking for grape picking jobs!

Not telling them sounds like a sound strategy but otherwise go back to whoever gave you the advice and challenge them, but not perhaps to a dual.

This also may help: https://www.gov.uk/state-pension-if-you-retire-abroad

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
This might be a silly question but why were you informed by your local council State Pension Department that you'd lose your State Pension?
Did you ask them the question in the first place?
Do you receive any other monies from the Government or just the State Pension?
We have our pensions paid direct into the Bank and whether we have an extended holiday in the UK or abroad doesn't concern anyone but ourselves.
If we moved to live abroad and money was to be sent to a bank overseas that would be a different matter all together.

:france::france::france:

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
I was thinking of going abroad next September till about February but I have been informed by my [HI]local council State Pension Department[/HI] that I am only allowed to go abroad anywhere for no more than 13 weeks,they said if I stay any longer I would lose my state pension.

I'm a bit confused here because the state pension is paid by central government not local government. I don't know of any council that has a State Pension Department.

It would be worth clarifying with the council exactly what they mean.

Dec 23, 2007
Wirral
Funster No
MH
Hobby Van Kenobi
Exp
started when I was 11 with my parents-forgot to stop!been real one since 1980!
More than likely it it Housing Benefit and any independent living allowances paid out by Social Services as part of a personal budget for care services.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Think you will find this is bollox!!!

Not quite ! Certain benefits can be stopped if you are out of the country for more than a certain period. Reference the State Pension it may depend if you are receiving contributory state pension or it is actually income support paid in lieu of state pension as someone may not have made enough NI contributions to be eligible for a full contributory state pension .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back