Ruddy rattles! (1 Viewer)

Aug 27, 2014
Shropshire
Funster No
MH
McLouis Tandy 640+
Exp
Since 2014
I did find a 19" laptop sleeve, but alas it's just too small. Looks like the tea towel will be in use for a while yet!

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
Rattles! What are they. Our MH luckily has none that we have noticed so far. Perhaps the previous keeper sorted them out or its just a lucky MH. :)

Shuismo

Free Member
Oct 23, 2012
se london
Funster No
MH
Carthago I 47
Exp
xmas 12
IKEA for free,
IKEA use thinish foam between their plates and bowls etc., go and get some for free they work really well for me between plates and cooking trays. The best part is that they are tidy and free I keep mine in place all the time as they don't interfere with the access to the crockery.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Murphy

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Mansfield
Funster No
MH
Shire Conversion
Exp
For some reason noticed all the rattles stops once the wife's leaves the van, ha, ha !

TERRY&PAULINE

Free Member
Feb 18, 2015
coventry
Funster No
MH
autocruise starfire
Exp
since 1987
I buy bubblewrap by the 50 metre roll for business use, so that comes in handy for lots of things. The "non-slip" Grip Mat that you can buy for around a £1 or so in the pound shops is good stuff...... but don't get the one in Wilkinsons, it's expensive at £4 :(Broken Link Removed

They've even mentioned it's useful on motorhome shelves(y)

We use this on all our shelves and and inside cupboards, we even have it in our dash wells, stops things floating around, eg mobile , glasses etc, best stuff ever invented, made in different colours & thickness

Oct 2, 2011
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 2011
We use the anti slip mat stuff from poundland. Works well. Have also put a lot of things in clear tubs.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
We cut up rolls of non slip mat and use between plates etc,

Also bought a bulk pack of foam backed scourers which are ideal for stopping rattles and we always then have a scourer available for the washing up!

Velcro backed sticky tape is ideal for holding back the concertina blinds so that they don't rattle.

Oct 29, 2013
Dorset
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
1 year motorhomer after 21 years caravanning
Thank you for a top idea! A 17" neoprene laptop sleeve from Fleabay has proven to be perfect to put our grillpan and oven shelf in, stop the damn things from rattling so much! It sits nicely on the diagonal inside the oven.

Now just need to find a way to stop the glass lid on the cooker top from rattling, a tea towel works OK but only when I remember to actually put one in *before* we set off......

Try a length of grey pipe lagging on the cooker top...it works for us

OP
OP
vin0114
Feb 8, 2014
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Eldis Majestic 115
Exp
Vans and tugs since mid 70's
Just remembered got a roll of thin foam in the shed - the sort that goes under laminate floors, just the job for draw bottoms and lockers and its light:)

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Since 1970 first van converted police van
If you are tight on space and keep cook=pots in oven like I do just put a tea towel in between stops all the noise

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
My wife has discovered sticky back Velcro. Its great for fixing rattling tables etc and no screws, holes etc to worry about. Get it in various forms in rolls etc in Wilkos
I use Velcro a lot in my van, I hang remote for tv on side of tv put timer for cooker on wall with it and even stick light for cooker or BBQ inside cupboard with it

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
Thank you for a top idea! A 17" neoprene laptop sleeve from Fleabay has proven to be perfect to put our grillpan and oven shelf in, stop the damn things from rattling so much! It sits nicely on the diagonal inside the oven.

Now just need to find a way to stop the glass lid on the cooker top from rattling, a tea towel works OK but only when I remember to actually put one in *before* we set off......
I always used to use a piece of none slip matting on the top for working on and then slip under glass just before you lower it to move

sleep e carr

Free Member
Nov 30, 2008
Whitby North Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Express 6 birth
Exp
I always used to use a piece of none slip matting on the top for working on and then slip under glass just before you lower it to move
Stop cooking oil spillage if you have room for wine bottle clamp in your cupboard use it to grab the bottle saves a messy mishap, try and get round bottle from Lidi

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
My MH has an anti-rattle control (at least that's what I think it is). It's to the right of the drivers seat & if I pull it really hard all the rattles stop.

Apr 30, 2015
maidstone
Funster No
MH
swift escape
Exp
hi just started and yes rattles rattles rattles tea towels great but so many think I am now overloaded l o l but found something that works with glasses in ikea they have a dish rack for draining board its white plast with plastic black spikes sticking up fitted it in cupboard over sink and glasses go upside down over spikes doesn't damage glasses takes any size and silence !

Jan 27, 2013
Stamford
Funster No
MH
Benimar Mileo 282
Exp
Seven plus years
I use a sheet of foam (German designed for use in the shower compartment) on top of the cooker and worktop. Its non slip so you can put stuff on their while in transit and it won't move. We leave it on whenever the cooker isn't in use as it stops scratches. Bought from Brownfields I think.

We strap all the chairs and tables together under the bed with a snap lock http://r.ebay.com/yZnIOd & http://r.ebay.com/zdRpZg so they don't move move around and rattle.

Toasters, saucepans and alike go into velco car boot tidy bags which keep then quiet. Like these http://r.ebay.com/ddr6Dx

Leads, plugs and converters live in bags http://r.ebay.com/I3FRqp

Mugs sit in these http://r.ebay.com/UnMzQY and plates use this http://r.ebay.com/HBKUqK with some non-slip sheets between them

Angelwitch

Free Member
Feb 5, 2015
Hornsea
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Since 2014
I like the comment on internal/external PDC.....I also am responsible for internal PDC ,BUT i'm also the driver.Any rattles once we get on the move results in a ''Oh darling you haven't done it correctly'' look as he sighs and goes wandering down the back......cue an 'accidental' pot hole swerve.Hey,i get my pleasure where i can!

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
oops ... MIFI hiccup.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Double MIFI hiccup!

Jan 21, 2015
Stoke on Trent
Funster No
MH
Lo-line Coachbuilt
Exp
Just Starting Fifth Year
I have a new this year, Bailey Approach 765 and in addition to the normal rattles which I have sorted, I have a terrible intermittent screeching noise above and to the right of my head which I cannot locate. The MH has an electrical drop down electric bed directly behind the drivers seat which might be the cause but neither I or the wife, who has been standing behind me when driving, can pinpoint the cause. Has anybody out there had a similar problem with a Bailey?:sick:

Ethle the wondervan

Free Member
Mar 13, 2015
Peak District
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
One year
I have a new this year, Bailey Approach 765 and in addition to the normal rattles which I have sorted, I have a terrible intermittent screeching noise above and to the right of my head which I cannot locate. The MH has an electrical drop down electric bed directly behind the drivers seat which might be the cause but neither I or the wife, who has been standing behind me when driving, can pinpoint the cause. Has anybody out there had a similar problem with a Bailey?:sick:

Not we'a Bailey me 'owd duck, but this does bring to mind a couple of entries in an aircraft log book.

If a pilot reports a technical problem in his post flight log, then this must be investigated by the appropriate engineer befor the plane can be cleared for it's next flight.

Anyroadup, the pilot had written:- Something loose in the cockpit.

The technical chappie had a good root around and a fiddle, scratched his fevered brow, fiddled again, reached for the log and wrote:- Tightened something in the cockpit.

Hope that helps. Have an oatcake for me!

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
without the serated washers there's a chance the nut will work loose change it for a nyloc one

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
very good job vin,, and the nut now fits correctly,, your first pic the nut is not fully on the thread

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
i cant hear any rattles,, maybe the radios on too loud,,
pardon dear what was that

Charlie

Free Member
May 16, 2015
Herefordshire / Worcestershire borders .
Funster No
MH
Auto Sleeper Kemerton.
Exp
Im a newbie
Home bargains have some really good felt pads made for protecting pans. You put them between pans when storing in the cupboards at home.

Perfect for between plates and other things in the MH !! Cheap and easy and quick to use...

paul18

Free Member
Dec 16, 2014
Somerset
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
newbie, but was caravanner for 20 years
We seemed to have learnt how to deal with most of our rattles but one in particular. The element in the gas fire sets up an awful racket at certain speeds/engine revs!

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
Not
Not on a Bailey but is there a radio speaker near where the noise is? We had a problem and it turned out to be a Blaupunkt radio discharging static charge through the speaker. Changing the radio cured it.

Oct 7, 2013
South Wales
Funster No
MH
Swift Escape Compact
Exp
Since 1988
We had rattles all over the place on our new M/H then found the tyres were 15psi over recommended pressure.

Correcting this reduced the rattles by about 80%. Careful packing as previous posts cured most of the remainder.

I think it is impossible to cure all rattles. Those who claim that they have non either carry nothing with them or have left their hearing aid batteries behind.:rolleyes::whistle:

Trevor Pettifer

Free Member
Aug 17, 2015
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Niesmann Bischoff Arto 83
Exp
3 months
Rattles - The worst ones are those that appear then disappear. Then just when you thought they were gone Hay Presto they return.
Being in the roofing industry we use a great product (Expanding Foam Tape) which comes in various sizes with an adhesive backing. It expands over 2-3 hours (max 25mm expansion) and fills gaps with varying contours and sizes.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back