Ruddy rattles!

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by vin0114, Feb 16, 2015.

1. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Just been doing some rattle sorting. Okay all doors and cupboards sorted with small strips of self-adhesive draught excluder - excellent. BUT the outside opening gas locker a real problem with loads of play so had a look at the key-locking bits. The pics below
    DSCF3512crop.JPG

DSCF3508crop.JPG
    show the locking assembly before and after. The original assembly shows the swivel arm held between 2 locking washers then the locking 21mm nut. I eventually found after several trials that by re-assembling both locking washers first then reversing the locking arm followed by the locking nut the gas locker door fitted snugly but obviously still retained the 2 x 50mm square gas escape outlets.

• Like Like x 1
  2. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Ha, ha!:LOL: I just caught sight of your thread title and had to laugh.......my husband is obsessed with rattles. I have nominated myself as "Chief Rattle Eradicator" and every time we set off I hope and pray there are no rattles from the back......

We are only concerned with rattles inside and our main rattles were plate rack, gas fire and internal blinds. Thankfully most are now sorted.....but glad to know it's not just us that are bothered with them. Bill has even put slim pieces of foam around the bathroom door as there was a bit of movement in that.

Our conversations whilst travelling go something like......"Is that something rattling? Can you check where it's coming from"......I usually walk up the van and have a listen:RollEyes: I pretend I can't hear anything and say, "Nope, it's your imagination, now concentrate on the road ahead"!:laughing:

Margaret:Smile:

• Like Like x 14
  3. mjltigger

mjltigger Funster

I hate rattles in the car or the MH.. the worst kind are the ones from the back seats in the car.. usually accompanied by squeeling, gerroffs and DAAaaaaaddddddd

• Like Like x 8
  4. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Ours rattles but it seems to be all over I am not sure what to do with the blinds etc or the electric bed. However once on a straight non bumpy road it all quietness down. Also I find fitting the noisy people in the back seats with headphones and individual tablets sorts them out

• Like Like x 2
  5. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Our radio has a LOUD button.

• Like Like x 6
  6. Badknee

Badknee Funster

We have tea towels all over the place and industrial foam from work that has adhesive on one side, top stuff.

• Like Like x 6
  7. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Most of our rattles seem to come from the concertina blinds & it doesn't seem to matter much if they are up or down.

Any good ideas? Tea towels seem to sort all the other problems, but I must admit, I haven't tried stuffing the blinds with them! :unsure:

• Like Like x 3
  8. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

I've just read all these out to Bill (he didn't realise that I had replied above:BigGrin:).......with regards to the radio having a loud button, yes, I like it loud......but he does the driving and doesn't like the radio loud:whistle2:

I've just read out vin0114's post about the gas bottle locker rattling........here's the reply:- "Ah, right, see that's what I heard recently......it sounded like it was coming from the gas locker door"!:doh:

I'm in charge of the "internal PDC" and hubby is in charge of the "external PDC".........(pre-departure check):wink:

Margaret

• Like Like x 5
  9. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We haven't found anything to solve the rattling blinds yet......doubt if we ever will, we always travel with ours down. But we also get a bit of "wind rush" through the big roof light as well, especially if it's quite windy. It appears that UK van manufacturers don't put a seal around that area......or so we were told.

10. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

We're well past that stage.......ours are 28 and 30 now:BigGrin:

11. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

Yer but they still wine with " are we nearly there":LOL:

12. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

No they've moved out long ago(y) Our son is married and daughter is getting married next year:doh:..........which reminds us, saving up for next year's wedding will curtail our travelling plans:crying:

It's now me that says, "Are we nearly there yet"?

Margaret:BigGrin:

• Like Like x 1
  13. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

Just had a look over your gallery.......brilliant photos(y)

14. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

Yes, I'd heard that too. Ours is a German conversion, so I think it's sealed ok. It does seem pretty airtight when closed. There is still some wind noise but it doesn't really get intrusive until over 60mph. I expect it's louder if you are sitting in the back, but I'm always driving. I did wonder about fitting one of those wind deflectors in front of it - Johns Cross have them for sale, but I think they are only available in white, so I'd have to faff about painting it - it would look silly on our van in white.

• Like Like x 1
  15. BobtheBass

BobtheBass Funster

Not the solution to every rattle, but 15" neoprene laptop sleeves from the pound shop are brilliant for putting plates, the grill pan, oven racks and other rattly abominations in to quietness them in transit. This tip won me the tip of the month prize in MMM last August.........(still the only thing I have won that wasn't dependent upon the answer to a stupid question like "what colour is the sky?").

• Like Like x 4
  16. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

To be honest, the only time we've noticed the wind noise was when travelling back over the A66 recently in a head wind. We sometimes get a "whine" from the sliding side window, but that's down to the wind being forced through when it's quite strong.

I think we're winning the war on the rattles(y) The latest culprit turned out to be two bottles of Hobgoblin that were "chinking" together ......... my fault, nothing had been wedged between them before we set off.

• Like Like x 1
  17. MHVirgins

MHVirgins

I buy bubblewrap by the 50 metre roll for business use, so that comes in handy for lots of things. The "non-slip" Grip Mat that you can buy for around a £1 or so in the pound shops is good stuff...... but don't get the one in Wilkinsons, it's expensive at £4 :(http://www.wilko.com/invt/0309563

They've even mentioned it's useful on motorhome shelves(y)

• Like Like x 1
  18. vin0114

vin0114 Funster

Thanks for all the great replies, I was beginning to think it was just me being paranoid. I like the bubblewrap idea and on the rattling Hobgoblins problem you've obviously not stored enough of them. We returned from France a couple of years ago with 100+ bottles of very nice wine - bedding out and wine in - not a rattle to be heard:)but that was in an Autocruise with sensible tyre pressures but that's another issue to be sortedo_O

• Like Like x 1
  19. TheCaller

TheCaller Funster

It is indeed. Got that everywhere. All lockers that have 'hard' stuff in them are lined with it, as are all the kitchen drawers.

Glasses & glass bottles are usually ok with just a sheet of kitchen roll between them.

If we could only sort those blasted blinds, peace would reign. Either that or restrict our touring to newly resurfaced motorways. It's so lovely & peaceful when you hit a smooth stretch of tarmac. :)

• Like Like x 1
  20. The Dude

The Dude Funster

Oh was that you? Read your brilliant tip and immediately went out and bought 2. Great idea.(y)

• Like Like x 1