Rubber Roof Paint (1 Viewer)

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
2 years ago I painted my rubber roof, the orginal was perfectly ok but I decided that another protective coat couldnt do any harm :Doh: 2 years later the original is still ok but the new coat of rubber paint is flaking off :cry:

I am going to paint it again but need some tips on what paint I should use, and advice gratefully received.

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Assuming you used the right paint in the first place
a few reasons spring to mind as to why its flaking.

The first and most obvious is lack of preparation. clearly no one deliberately sets out to spoil such an important job, so possibly wrong materials used to clean rubber roof:Doh:

Second.
Failing to thin the first coat is another common error, folk think thick is beautiful when it comes to protective coatings, not so, for the first coat, thinned correctly with the correct thinners actually aids the bond to the membrane, the second thick coat then bonds better to itself:thumb:

Thirdly.
Damp:whatthe: were not talking rain here just that early in the mornings there is a very fine dew present on the roof, not always visible or detectable.
Middle to late afternoon is always the best time for application giving all areas time to thoroughly dry before proceeding :winky:

Remedy.
Not an awful lot you can do now:cry:
You cant really take a sander to a rubber roof, so all I can suggest is repeat cleaning process again over flaking areas with suitable materials and apply a thin first coat as above to affected areas and re coat whole roof

As suggested Duncan will I'm sure advise on materials

Geo

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Edgie

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Thanks for your advice :thumb: have emailed Duncan a couple of days ago but had no response yet is he away?

Geo

Trader - Funster
Jul 29, 2007
Mansfield,Notts
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Tracker FB
Exp
45 +years with breaks
Tried calling ???
01522 778944
Geo

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
yes we are away at malvern, all will return to normal next tuesday.
Dunc.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Edgie

Edgie

Free Member
Nov 5, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
C Class
Ahhh! that explains everything, you are normally soooooooooooo on the ball :thumb:

Have a good time at Malvern I hope it worthwhile for you, speak next week.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back