Royal Veterinary College (1 Viewer)

Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
I've spoken about Laika the wonder dog being attacked by another dog , well it seems after thinking everything was okay it isn't . We took her back to the vets on Friday because we were worried about her leaky puncture wound, a week before we were told it was okay and would heal. It appears that the saliva gland has been puncture and will require surgery, our vets didn't appear too confident and will find out more and get back to us. It's a procedure which is needs a skilled hand, so we have researched the Royal Veterinary College and will ask our vet for a referral.
My question is, has anyone had any experience of the college or even your dog having a similar issues , feedback would be much appreciated.

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
Poor mite.

Sorry I can't help on your query but good luck(y)

Feb 24, 2013
Bolsover, Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer S800
Exp
not long enough
google was a great friend to us when Lola our Bernese needed a cruciate ligament operation, we found a vet who both had a Bernese and had done the same operation, my vet was very happy to refer us to him as it was a difficult operation on a large dog

keep searching and the very best of luck for a good outcome (y)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I've spoken about Laika the wonder dog being attacked by another dog , well it seems after thinking everything was okay it isn't . We took her back to the vets on Friday because we were worried about her leaky puncture wound, a week before we were told it was okay and would heal. It appears that the saliva gland has been puncture and will require surgery, our vets didn't appear too confident and will find out more and get back to us. It's a procedure which is needs a skilled hand, so we have researched the Royal Veterinary College and will ask our vet for a referral.
My question is, has anyone had any experience of the college or even your dog having a similar issues , feedback would be much appreciated.
Hope this goes well for your dog. Hope you are suing the attacker's owner for costs??

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Quick update, after some research we chose the vets for Laika the wonder dogs op and she went for surgery this morning .
Had a couple of calls from the vets and she is doing okay , due to pain control she will be in over night.
It feels so empty without her.

Lisa

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Apr 29, 2014
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido A class
Exp
20th Sept 2014
For some reason I missed this post.
I do hope Laika recovers quickly, she's been through so much.....as have you.
Hopefully you'll get some cuddles tomorrow and she'll be home where she belongs. Bless her.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
so sorry I missed your new thread, hope everything goes well for Laika

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
Missed this post and would have told you if I had seen it earlier that we took one of our Cocker Spaniels to the Royal Veterinary College for surgery some years ago. They were absolutely fantastic, the treatment was far superior to what my wife received in a private hospital. I would recommend them to anyone considering treatment for their pet.

irnbru

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 27, 2013
Glasgow
Funster No
MH
Benimar 264
Exp
11 yrs
What a terrible ordeal when you thought the worst was over. Hopefully it is this time. Lots of hugs and kisses us in order. Please keep us posted on her recovery.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
But what happened about the owner of the dog that bit her. Hope he is footing the bill.
The owner has turned out to *******%#%^* and refuses to pay.
I have spent many an hour thinking about revenge etc but the police are involved and I will let them follow it through.
We are just grateful Laika the wonder dog survived the attack.
We are insured so insurance will pay the bill of £2700.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
How is Laikia now? Please give us an update.
Laika was operated on yesterday , we have had two calls from the vets updating us. This morning I contacted the vets to see how she was and when we could pick her up, the nurse informed me that Laika vomited at 5 this morning but was okay, we are just waiting for a call from the vet to see when we can bring her home.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Have everything crossed for Laika. Thank goodness you have insurance and I hope the police deal with the other dog's owner.

OP
OP
Kevinthecat
Nov 10, 2012
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Just looking
Exp
Laika the wonder dog is now home. As soon as we arrived at the vets and she heard our voices she started cry/howling . The staff were surprised as she hadn't made a sound post op. She looks like she has been in the wars , shaved neck and leg.
We brought her home on the tube which was a tad busy . Just before our stop poor old Laika vomited, we cleaned up the mess and hit the fresh air. She appeared a tad drowsy but once she saw Boris the street cat she perked up , tail bolt upright and straining on the lead.
She is now sleeping in a sun spot.
No ball games or long walks for her, for a few days.
This whole saga has been because a *%#%** hadn't muzzled his known attack dog.
The police are involved , I just hope they kick his a**e.

May 8, 2010
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2010
Glad to hear she's on the mend. Give her a gentle, little pat from me.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
Wonder if dogs get the same reaction to GAs as humans do? - I throw up violently after one. Have to have jabs into a thigh muscle or the same drug by suppository ..... which I can assure you is by far the lesser of two evils, the former being absolute agony whereas it's only the nurse that has to administer the latter who actually complains!

I mean No 1 daughter said when she had an op last year, that they gave her a tablet to take this time. I said well how could you possibly take it then, when even a sip of water post op causes me to heave? I really dunno, and hope I never have to have another one anyway.

Hollyberry

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2011
New Forest.
Funster No
MH
None.
Exp
4yrs
Think it's quite common for dogs to vomit after anaesthetic. Even if she won't eat, encourage her to drink, by putting some milk in a bowl of water if necessary, as most of the anaesthetic will be excreted via her kidneys.

I hope she makes a speedy recovery.

Debs

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 9, 2014
West Notts
Funster No
MH
A class Adria Vision
Aw glad to hear Laika's on the mend again,that's the main thing:)
Take care of her & yourselves x

CWH

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 29, 2014
UK
Funster No
MH
WildAx PVC
Exp
From November 2013
So good to hear